General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Bank Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Red Bank Triathlon - Olympic Course - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Red Bank, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 35m 37s
Overall Rank = 1/6
Age Group = n/a
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered, dressed had a little coffee and ate breakfast on drive to race.
Event warmup:

Tried to run a little, but achilles was tight (hence why I'm doing the aquabike.) A little dynamic stretching, short ride on the bike to get the legs firing. Meant to get in the water before hand and should have - forgot how cold water can throw off breathing rate and only had a minute or two to adjust when I got in with the wave.
Swim
  • 20m 53s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Positioned just off front center to start - I like contact. Surprised with the time - I've been swimming well, but didn't expect to be below 22. A little mosh pit action at the beginning, but then we all began to string out. I tried following feet and drafting, but felt like I was doing a little too much zig zag - once we rounded buoy at the turn back I switched to sighting for myself. Did a good job keeping breathing calm and focusing on form and streamlining. With so many peeps around me and catching me at the finish of the swim, I had expected to have a worse time.
What would you do differently?:

Warm-up, otherwise nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Blah - horrible T1. Wetsuit unzippers on the dock was a pleasant surprise!! Missed my bike coming in - luckily my wife had kept an eye on me and called me ack to it. I neglected to figure out where it was from the swim-in. Doh. Suit got horribly stuck on my legs - really need to figure out a better way to get it off and practice. Decided to go with socks and gloves due to temperature and wetness - socks went on ok, but I neglected to make sure my glove finger holes were all out and ready - took a long time getting that figured out. Put shoes on at my spot and ran in them - think I realized I'm better off doing that as I run about as fast in cleats as I do without them after the swim. Also worked well here - was strapped and clipped in as soon as I mounted - and ready for the short climb that starts immediately after the mount line.

1) locate bike from swim-in pre-swim.
2) make sure all accessories are ready for wear
3) practice the damn wetsuit removal!!
Bike
  • 1h 12m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Was expecting better based on my bike times last year - guess the extra 20 pounds makes a difference! Not terrible, but never felt like the jets went on and never got into a great rhythm. Also got love tapped by a car somewhere around mile 8 - driver decided to squeeze between me and oncoming car and got a little too close. Fortunately he was going slow and no damage done to me or my bike - stayed up right and didn't miss a beat....except for the short time spent raising my fist and yelling at his rear view mirror... Dropped my chain up a hill around mile 12 - decided to be "smart" and go little ring, and the cycling gods smacked my chain off for not being man enough. Stayed in the big ring the rest of the time ;-) Got a little more fired up on the way back and fired off some good miles from 13-19. Caught up with the sprinters at that part and its always motivating blowing past slower peeps. Hit two gels - one at 25 and one at 52 min, but didn't get an appreciable boost from them.

Not be a total slug in the off-season and gain a ton of weight. Might need a little more intensity in my training. Stay in the big ring if its not a categorized climb.
Post race
Warm down:

Needed to warm-up! My teeth were chattering!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness level, poor transition planning.

Event comments:

Considered going for 2 stars, but will give 3.

Pro's:
Great location - beautiful course, nice venue for the fam to do some non-race related things and lots of great restaurants in town - even some very good vegan places!
Volunteers and police on bike course - very well staffed!
Registration/pick-up - easy and no stress

Cons:
Communication - no athlete guide, although website did have all the info.d Was supposedly going to be an "aquavelo finish coordinator" but I found no such person and took my chip to timing tent after asking a volunteer where I should go.
Race start - no microphone/bullhorn - race director counted us down from shore, but could barely hear him. I almost didn't realize we were about to start
Finish - I happened to be there as first triathlete was finishing. No one else really was. Someone did eventually get him a medal, and gave me one, too.
Post race - website said awards would be at 12. I went back to hotel since I was freezing and came back at 10:30. Pretty much everyone was gone. Results for Oly tri were done, but sprint, Aquavelo and relays weren't done. We were told results would be posted that night - they weren't until the next morning. Timing system seemed old school compared to other races I've done the last few years.

Really nothing majorly bad about the above, but when you're paying for an experience and there are a lot of other good options (even this weekend - Black Bear, Columbia, Got the Nerve) you expect the race experience to be on par with what you could have had elsewhere. Weather may have had a reason to do with this - kinda cold and rainy, so no post-race show, but the timing and results was much slower and seemed quite disorganized compared to other races I've done. Still, good shot I'll go back - nice venue, nice course and now I have a title to defend ;-)

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:53 | 1640 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/6
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro 2
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:03 | 24.85 miles | 20.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 2/6
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Basically and out and back with a couple lolly pops off the return.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-21 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Collegeville, PA
Subject: Red Bank Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Bank Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Red Bank Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by boomer2it
Views: 881 Posts: 1

2013-05-20 11:28 AM boomer2it

Outer Banks Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by SpeedKnight
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 8:19 PM SpeedKnight

Started by maxman
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 10:09 AM maxman

Started by rical
Views: 951 Posts: 2

2013-05-05 4:56 PM brittlovestri

Red Bank Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by runtotheriver
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2012-05-21 1:48 PM runtotheriver
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.