Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Police and the news ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-14 10:30 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: Police and the news ...
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/14/newspaper.photos.ap/index.html

How does a judge not know something like this is against federal law??? I thought judges were supposed to know the law. And the police too. And I especially love how the chief of police is angry that the newspaper is making a big deal of this. Um, sir, we don't live in a police state, despite what they told you at the academy. I guess my problem is the police do something illegal then say 'let's not make a big deal out of this.'

2006-07-14 3:50 PM
in reply to: #482694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Police and the news ...

mr2tony - 2006-07-14 8:30 AM http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/14/newspaper.photos.ap/index.html How does a judge not know something like this is against federal law??? I thought judges were supposed to know the law. And the police too. And I especially love how the chief of police is angry that the newspaper is making a big deal of this. Um, sir, we don't live in a police state, despite what they told you at the academy. I guess my problem is the police do something illegal then say 'let's not make a big deal out of this.'

are we reading the same article?  no where in the article does the police cheif say, "Lets not make a big deal out of this."  the issue in the article was what type of court order was issued.  it was clearly stated that plice connot get a SUBPOENA for the information until the case has reached the grand jury stage.  the court order the police arrived with was a SEARCH WARRANT.  The photographer with the images stated only "court order" not what type.  the only real issue here is the subpoena can be challenged in court before service.  the search warrant stipulates it must be served in a limited amount of time and the lawyers fight about it after the fact.

Search warrants are challenged everyday and most stick.  the ones that don't are usually poorly written.  this one made headlines because the search warrant was for a newspaper.  lets not forget: all images/video/descriptions of a police involved shooting scene are part of the criminal investigation and subject to a court order, any court order.  I wasn't there, I don't know all the particulars, I don't even know how the scene was managed.  When I do a crime scene and the media shows up to cover it, we disignate an area for them to shoot from and they are not allowed near any other area.  This alleviates all the mess this department is going through.  

It just odd how little respect you appear to have for the men and women who go out on the streets every day and every night to make sure YOUR rights of life liberty and pursuit of happiness don't get trampled on. 

2006-07-14 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Also. is it so hard to believe that the Anchorage Daily News misrepresented the story.  Don't forget that the number one goal of mass media in this country (including The Anchorage Daily News and CNN) is to sell advertisement not inform or educate the public. That is a distant third. 
2006-07-15 5:15 PM

User image

Elite

He posted this because he works for a newspaper and is biased against the police.

2006-07-15 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Boise ID
Subject: Amen to the 3 previous posts
10-8
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Police and the news ... Rss Feed