General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-22 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: I'm loving me some Hoka One One's
Just recently bought some Hoka Bondi B's and only have had a couple runs in them so far but WOW! I'M LOVIN' EM! I've been dealing with a lot of lower leg problems mainly steming from tight calves and so far my calves have not tightened up once while running in them. If things keep going so well with them I might have to purchase some Hoka Speeds.

2013-05-22 1:51 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: I'm loving me some Hoka One One's
Got mine last week.....Did a short 2 mile run and a 4 miler 2 days ago. So far I have to say I really like them. IF I had one complaint, I'd say that my feet get "slightly" warmer in them vs. traditional shoes, but not by much. This may be one of my better purchases of the year, time will tell.
2013-05-22 3:07 PM

User image

New user
South Central PA
When I was at the register paying for my last pair of shoes(Brooks) I talked to the salesperson about the Hoka's. He said just try them on and take a quick run in them. So I take them for a short run outside and they were so comfortable. The cushioning felt like I was running on pillows, yet not heavy like they look. I didn't purchase them at that time, but will definately look at them for my next purchase. Every now and then I have some calf problems and I think these would help with that.
2013-05-22 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Going to try some on soon and maybe purchase as I struggle with calf issues (Mad Calf Disease?) and heard they may help, but going in as a skeptic, as I generally don't buy into silver bullet solutions.
2013-10-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Just completed my first run these.

- uber soft landing (can't see racing in them but training will hopefully take less of a toll)

- hideous ... borderline humiliatingly ugly ( i think the term clown shoe has been mentioned...bang on!)

i'll report back on the long term efficacy with respect to injury prevention...time will tell
2013-10-01 1:43 PM
in reply to: Stuckinthemiddle

User image

NC
Originally posted by Stuckinthemiddle

- hideous ... borderline humiliatingly ugly ( i think the term clown shoe has been mentioned...bang on!)

I'm waiting to hear, "Jimmy likes running!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

2013-10-01 2:47 PM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I was skeptical at first, and now I'm drinking the Hoka Kool-Aid. I've only been running about a year, at at 185lbs, I'm not a light guy - and these are a game-changer for me. They turned my long runs from agony to a mild annoyance.

I ran a pair of 20-milers 8 days apart in them, and I was all smiles within a day of each run.

They are surprisingly light (lighter than my Saucony Triumphs, my previous cushy trainer) and only slightly heavier than my Kinvaras. There is some loss of road feel, but they accelerate very well and really rock on downhills.

I'm actually looking forward to running my marathon in them, whereas before, I was only worried about how much it would hurt.
2013-10-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I'm envious. None of our LRS stock Hokas and I'm not gonna plop down that much money without a test run. These things are never on clearance.
2013-10-01 2:53 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

The 951
These shoes felt so good when I test ran in them a few months ago. Running downhill it felt like the cushion was bottomless.
2013-10-01 2:56 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Originally posted by Oysterboy

I'm envious. None of our LRS stock Hokas and I'm not gonna plop down that much money without a test run. These things are never on clearance.

You can order them from running warehouse they have free return shipping. If you don't like them ship them back.
2013-10-01 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by ejshowers Going to try some on soon and maybe purchase as I struggle with calf issues (Mad Calf Disease?) and heard they may help, but going in as a skeptic, as I generally don't buy into silver bullet solutions.

There is a sliver bullet - it's spelled HOKA...

I wanted to get serious about my running, but the pain and tightness in my calves and soleus basically negated upping my mileage.  It was just no fun to run in pain.  After reading so many reviews I ordered a pair without the ability to try them first.  Just to be clear - I'm cheap, and will avoid spending money when possible, so for me to take this leap meant I had to be suffering quite a bit.

Needless to say, I love them.  The issues with my calves are pretty much gone, and this didn't take time, it was immediately during the first run.  I'm not pain/ache free, but where I do have issues is more in my glutes and hips, and is an area I'm going to try and focus on through some strength training.  But with these shoes I've upped my mileage, and am now targeting a marathon come Spring.

One note - I've worn the nubs off the soles in a few spots after less than 200 miles.  Other users have said this is a non-issue, so I'll see, but that's the only "negative" I can put towards the shoe at this point.

2013-10-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
HOKAs have been great for me too.

I now own 3 pairs. Bondi B, Bondi Speed, and newly aquired Stinson (trail).

I had been dealing with a left heel pain, probably PF, or something similar. Running in regular shoes just aggravated it.
So, either stop running altogether, or find something else to run in. In come the idea of the HOKA's.

Initially I got a pair, purchased based on reviews read, and just risked it. (Bondi B)
First few runs were a bit odd, and I felt it was more work on my quads. However, after getting used to them, the runs seemed to be way more comfortable, way less problem with my heel, and recovery time was much less to my next running workout.

As time creeped forward, I continued to train for my IM exclusively in HOKA's.

My thought was not to race in them, because I felt I could always go back to the regular shoes after a "break" from them.
But as the IM got closer I decided it would be a bad idea to switch and was going to race with HOKA's.
GLAD I DID.

The IM went well using HOKA's although I do feel it is still more effort to run in, so the quads/calves do more work. But the relief from the trauma to my feet is quite apparent and totally a game changer for me. I still have a plan to wean off HOKAs back to regular shoes, but time will tell.

However with XTERRA looming, I am now on Stinsons, the trail model and loving them as well. so...

HOKAs are not perfect, but they do help with my issue and I am very appreciative. They are a bit goofy looking, but then again, I'm in sweaty spandex. Sign me up for the circus.

The good point is mainly excessive cushioning but with a stable feel. It is not mushy or clunky as you might expect. From this extra cushioning , the trauma to the feet is way less, and recovery time is reduced significantly.

However the down sides are the extra effort as mentioned in the quads & calves, and tread seems to wear quite quickly for such an expensive shoe.
2013-10-01 5:03 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Bronze member
Total flop for me.  I was very hopeful because I have a very long history of foot problems but they are just sitting in my closet collecting dust. I really tried but they are a no go.
2013-10-01 5:06 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by trigal38

Total flop for me.  I was very hopeful because I have a very long history of foot problems but they are just sitting in my closet collecting dust. I really tried but they are a no go.

this was the case with Newtons for me.
2013-10-01 7:04 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
The jury is still out for me. I have had mine for two weeks now. I love the way they feel and i don't feel nearly as banged up after my runs in them. I'm starting the build up for a late January marathon and was looking for something for the long runs.I'm also a calf cramper and the Hoka's seem to help.

The problem I'm having is blisters on my big toes. I thought my feet were pretty tough. I never wear socks with my bike shoes. I've run in Brooks for the past 4 years. Anything under 10k open or in a Tri I don't wear socks. I've never had blisters with any other type of shoe. I do wear a 4E in Brooks but had to go up a half size in the Hoka's because the don't make a wide size. They feel comfortable enough but once I get over 4 miles I start to feel the chafing. I'm going to give them a little more time and hopefully I can break them in. I just don't want to suffer through the blisters as I start to ramp up the mileage.
2013-10-01 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
I can't stand them. I kept rolling my ankles. It's like elevator shoes. I'll stick to my flats.

2013-10-01 9:47 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Sylvania, Ga
I have a pair of Stinson trails. I love em! I use them on all my long runs.
2013-10-02 3:26 AM
in reply to: LukeBoswell

User image

Regular
Madrid
I as well am a total believer. I bought my first pair about 2 months ago. After suffering through much of the last year with tight calves, PF, sore heel, and cranky ankle, I have been reborn as for as running goes with these shoes.
2013-10-02 9:37 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by GoFaster

Originally posted by ejshowers Going to try some on soon and maybe purchase as I struggle with calf issues (Mad Calf Disease?) and heard they may help, but going in as a skeptic, as I generally don't buy into silver bullet solutions.

There is a sliver bullet - it's spelled HOKA...

I wanted to get serious about my running, but the pain and tightness in my calves and soleus basically negated upping my mileage.  It was just no fun to run in pain.  After reading so many reviews I ordered a pair without the ability to try them first.  Just to be clear - I'm cheap, and will avoid spending money when possible, so for me to take this leap meant I had to be suffering quite a bit.

Needless to say, I love them.  The issues with my calves are pretty much gone, and this didn't take time, it was immediately during the first run.  I'm not pain/ache free, but where I do have issues is more in my glutes and hips, and is an area I'm going to try and focus on through some strength training.  But with these shoes I've upped my mileage, and am now targeting a marathon come Spring.

One note - I've worn the nubs off the soles in a few spots after less than 200 miles.  Other users have said this is a non-issue, so I'll see, but that's the only "negative" I can put towards the shoe at this point.

Yep, I'm a convert. From the first run in my Bondi B's that I bought in mid June, my calf issues have been almost non-existent and I have been able to run more frequently and with more more mileage (still not big mileage, but I only race Sprints). This helped me to my first podium at my last race a few weeks ago! I am looking into getting a pair of their Tri shoes next so I can run sockless and get my T2 time back down.
2013-10-02 1:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-10-02 2:44 PM

Waldwick
What is the differences between the Bondi B and Bondi Speed? (other then quick laces)
I tried on a pair of Bondi B and they felt great, I haven't purchased yet, but curious if there are any differences in the two shoes besides marketing the speed for Tri.
Thanks Boomer

2013-10-02 3:23 PM
in reply to: boomer2it

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by boomer2it

What is the differences between the Bondi B and Bondi Speed? (other then quick laces)
I tried on a pair of Bondi B and they felt great, I haven't purchased yet, but curious if there are any differences in the two shoes besides marketing the speed for Tri.
Thanks Boomer

I have both. The bottom part basically is the same, the Speed's upper has a shorter tongue.

I didn't notice anything else different except the speed laces, which are "ok"
2013-10-02 3:59 PM
in reply to: metafizx

Waldwick
Originally posted by metafizx

Originally posted by boomer2it

Thanks Boomer

I have both. The bottom part basically is the same, the Speed's upper has a shorter tongue.

I didn't notice anything else different except the speed laces, which are "ok"

Thanks I will go with purchasing the Bondi B that felt really comfortable. I will be replacing the laces with my Xtenx anyway so the speed laces don't matter, plus xtenx is a much better product imho
2013-10-02 5:24 PM
in reply to: boomer2it

Champion
Calgary
Bought my first pair in November last year, I have 4 pairs now.

I am quick to advise people to use these shoes responsibly. If they work for you they indeed seem like magic in the way you can run pain free and have reduced soreness. But, as Rumple says, All Magic Comes With A Price.

Upon my purchase I had very little difficulty ramping my mileage up from 80k a week to 110k a week, albeit at quite a slower pace. I thought I did this responsibly. I found myself needing very little recovery time between long runs. My quads and feet, which in the past have been a limiter, were more or less pain free, which was down right bizarre because at 80k a week in run of the mill trainers the soles of my feet would be on fire and the stiffness was always present.

Anyways, I blame the Hokas for some type of groin or abductor strain, so far undiagnosed. I think the pain you feel in your PF or heal or calf or hamstring or quad or the soles of your feet, I mean that limiter is there for a reason.

I now run in them no more then 2 times a week and usually only on my long runs. Other runs I use a variety of shoes but mostly run down models or minimal models that give my feet and stabilizing muscles a good workout.
2013-10-02 10:31 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by BigDH

Bought my first pair in November last year, I have 4 pairs now.

I am quick to advise people to use these shoes responsibly. If they work for you they indeed seem like magic in the way you can run pain free and have reduced soreness. But, as Rumple says, All Magic Comes With A Price.

Upon my purchase I had very little difficulty ramping my mileage up from 80k a week to 110k a week, albeit at quite a slower pace. I thought I did this responsibly. I found myself needing very little recovery time between long runs. My quads and feet, which in the past have been a limiter, were more or less pain free, which was down right bizarre because at 80k a week in run of the mill trainers the soles of my feet would be on fire and the stiffness was always present.

Anyways, I blame the Hokas for some type of groin or abductor strain, so far undiagnosed. I think the pain you feel in your PF or heal or calf or hamstring or quad or the soles of your feet, I mean that limiter is there for a reason.

I now run in them no more then 2 times a week and usually only on my long runs. Other runs I use a variety of shoes but mostly run down models or minimal models that give my feet and stabilizing muscles a good workout.

I absolutely praised my Bondi Speed 2's. in an earlier thread.

They reduced muscle fatigue on long runs. I ran a 50k trail race after never going past 20 miles before in my life and being pretty sore after 20 miles. Ran the race in the Hokas (which looked & felt absolutely goofy on a trail run - God, they are ugly) but was able to jog lightly the very next day.

However, I started to notice a bruised feeling in my left arch. When I stopped running in the Hokas, the bruised feeling goes away. I've moved back and forth over a variety of distances now and it's definitely the shoes.

Very sad. I also praised these things when I first got them. Hokas are amazing in regards to muscle fatigue. However, they're just not my particular silver bullet.

I'm waiting for the Altra Olympus to debut.

Running shoes are so subjective, though. I would never advise someone on running shoes anymore beyond: "Use low drop shoes unless they don't work for you - in which case don't use them".

Edited by adelsud 2013-10-02 10:35 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm loving me some Hoka One One's Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Started by dsand97
Views: 3574 Posts: 8

2012-12-13 9:48 AM BigDH

Triathlon One O One - race cancelled in The Woodlands

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 1424 Posts: 3

2007-08-26 7:53 PM AusVirgin

one o one halifax

Started by JungleJim
Views: 742 Posts: 2

2007-07-18 2:44 PM Bill

Triathlon One-O-One already in trouble?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1424 Posts: 5

2007-04-18 6:33 AM RedCorvette

Anyone doing one 0 one triathlon????

Started by BADNEWSC
Views: 1226 Posts: 6

2007-02-05 9:12 AM gsmacleod
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : April 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Do you have jerky one leg drills? Learn about this drill along with several tips and workouts to start improving your pedaling technique.
date : October 11, 2007
comments : 1
Is one month enough time to recover from my first marathon to go and do my first olympic tri? My alternative options are to do the 1/2 marathon and then do the olympic.

date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.
date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.

date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.