Overall Rank = 299/2814
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/98
Swim
  • 1h 06m 46s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I followed a tip from Badig's course preview and headed to the west shore to stand while waiting for the start. A few minutes before the start, I swam my way more to the middle to wait. This set me up for a perfect starting position. Initially it was a little rough but didn't take too long to spread out. I took the swim nice and easy and really enjoyed it. I spotted my family when we got to the canal and gave a little wave. They were able to follow me the rest of the way cheering with their cowbells! It was awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Volunteers were a great help getting me ready. One put my shoes on while the other did sunscreen and another gave me my helmet.

Nothing
Bike
  • 5h 27m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.52 mile/hr
Comments:

I did exactly what I planned to do on the bike. Paced myself perfectly; ate and drank perfectly. The bike is always my least favorite and I can't wait to get off, but I did a good job keeping in check mentally. I don't think I've ever ranked higher in the bike than swimming or running before!

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 05m 1s
Comments:

T1... the demise of my race. I hand off my bike and shoes no problem and start running down the grass. I round the turn and hit the concrete and burned my feet so bad!!! I make it into the transition tent where I'm told I'm in 8th place overall female (not sure if this is accurate or not) so I get very excited, the volunteers get me dressed, and I'm ready to run... except my poor burned feet weren't.

KEEP MY BIKE SHOES ON!!!! (or wear socks while biking)
Run
  • 4h 57m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I had planned for a 9-9:30 min/mile average but was very far from that. My feet hurt so bad. Every step was excruciatingly painful. My plan was to run the 1st and 3rd loops and run/walk the 2nd loop if needed. I ended up walking way more than planned but ran more in loop 3 than the other loops. I tried to make the most of it and had a good time on the run. The course had great spectator support!

KEEP MY BIKE SHOES ON IN T2!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I drank too much water too quickly after finishing and threw it all up. Once I got some calories in I felt better. I did a little stretching and went to watch others finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Burning my feet in T2. I wanted to go closer to 11 hours and burning my feet was really the only reason I was unable to do that. I had a fantastic swim and bike and set myself up for a decent run, so it is disappointing to be limited by that. The next day I wasn't even sore, except for my feet. 4 days later and I still can't put full weight on the balls of my feet. I know lots of others experienced this same thing. I am curious how/if it limited them as well.

Event comments:

My family came to this race thinking it was just another boring triathlon, but they had a blast!!! WTC does a good job of making this race fun for the athletes and spectators a like. I had a great time and look forward to doing another. I AM AN IRONMAN!!!

Last updated: 2012-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:06:46 | 4224 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/98
Overall: 225/2814
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:27:10 | 112 miles | 20.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/98
Overall: 226/2814
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:01
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:57:28 | 26.2 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/98
Overall: 299/2814
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-22 1:35 PM

User image

Florida
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

2013-05-23 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4753239

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
Great race Becca, next time it's Kona. I have a friend here who did the same thing to her feet.

Tom
2013-05-23 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4753239

Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
I feel ya on the burnt balls of your feet from T2. Every step hurt after I experienced that. I can't claim that it affected my time that dramatically because of nutrition issues I had, but once I'd caught up nutritionally on lap 3, I was ready to do some running (and did some strong running for me) until one of the blisters from the burn popped with 4 miles to go. Probably all in all, it cost me 10-15 minutes? I'd be ready to go for a run today if not for this issue. Oh well...

Congrats on your race...great time! My family felt the same about spectating, too...most enjoyable race they've ever been to!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2861 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2636 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2371 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2888 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3284 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.