General Discussion Triathlon Talk » woman hit and runs cyclist then brags on twitter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-22 3:38 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Subject: woman hit and runs cyclist then brags on twitter

2013-05-22 5:49 PM
in reply to: kingofbanff

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: woman hit and runs cyclist then brags on twitter
It made me think of this recent cover of Time magazine.

"The Me Me Me Generation: Millennials are lazy, entitled narcissists who still live with their parents." You know the type that have 500 pictures of themselves on their iphone and do not have a filter between their brain and the internet. God help us.
2013-05-22 8:52 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Originally posted by popsracer

It made me think of this recent cover of Time magazine.

"The Me Me Me Generation: Millennials are lazy, entitled narcissists who still live with their parents." You know the type that have 500 pictures of themselves on their iphone and do not have a filter between their brain and the internet. God help us.

So true. Very sad.
2013-05-22 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Darwin at work... I don't understand why she hasn't been charged if they've already talked to the guy she hit. Part of an organized ride, even? Probably a couple of witnesses present, as well.
2013-05-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Talk about pathetic, here in Texas she could get no less than 2 to 10 years. That said she'd probably get probation because she's a first time offender. Garbage all the way around.
2013-05-23 7:35 AM
in reply to: vomer

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by vomer
Originally posted by popsracer It made me think of this recent cover of Time magazine. "The Me Me Me Generation: Millennials are lazy, entitled narcissists who still live with their parents." You know the type that have 500 pictures of themselves on their iphone and do not have a filter between their brain and the internet. God help us.
So true. Very sad.

Yup.  This.  So many things are disturbing about that kind of lack of judgement.

The whole concept of twitter seems incredibly narcissistic.

I had a very interesting conversation with a group of community college students about FB and twitter.  I had no idea, really, how much time they spent on it and how much of a role it plays in their real or perceived "social capital".  It is completely bizarre.  I have been at a couple of graduation parties lately where groups of kids are sitting together but all on their phones.  I also often see groups walking on campus, all engaged with their phones. Sad:/

2013-05-23 7:38 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by rdailey1

Darwin at work... I don't understand why she hasn't been charged if they've already talked to the guy she hit. Part of an organized ride, even? Probably a couple of witnesses present, as well.

I wish natural selection was at work, but unfortunately we continue to coddle people like this. I'm not the all doom and gloom there's no people who made an honest mistake in the world kind of person, but I think we've catered to a no consequences mindset now.

And it all started with Walmart. Return anything anytime no matter what condition.... but that's a different rant altogether.
2013-05-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by popsracer It made me think of this recent cover of Time magazine. "The Me Me Me Generation: Millennials are lazy, entitled narcissists who still live with their parents." You know the type that have 500 pictures of themselves on their iphone and do not have a filter between their brain and the internet. God help us.
So true. Very sad.

Yup.  This.  So many things are disturbing about that kind of lack of judgement.

I had a very interesting conversation with a group of community college students about FB and twitter.  I had no idea, really, how much time they spent on it and how much of a role it plays in their real or perceived "social capital".  It is completely bizarre.  I have been at a couple of graduation parties lately where groups of kids are sitting together but all on their phones.  I also often see groups walking on campus, all engaged with their phones. Sad:/

This has always been my thought about twitter.  It seems like a good tool if you want to disseminate important information to a large number of people quickly, but....what you had for lunch, a picture of your dog curled up sleeping or your opinion on Justin Beiber's latest hairstyle does not qualify as important information.

Edited by noelle1230 2013-05-23 10:30 AM
2013-05-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

So true. Very sad.

This is so true. We were at a local sports bar/restaurant not too long ago and there was a large round table of eight college girls (there is a university nearby) and they were all deathly silent. Everyone of them were thumbing away on their iphone. Very, very bizarre.
2013-05-23 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

You people are all old and just don't understand today's youth.

^^^should be sarc font^^^

Edited by jmhpsu93 2013-05-23 11:53 AM
2013-05-23 12:09 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

You people are all old and just don't understand today's youth.

^^^should be sarc font^^^

:)  I know you put it in sarc font, but at least in my case, it probably shouldn't be. 

I don't consider 39 "old" but when I talk to the 18-22 year old crowd now, I really feel a difference in age, a difference I didn't feel just five years ago.  I attribute a lot of that to the FB, twitter and texting phenomenons.  I hate talking on the phone, so texting has been an absolutely revolutionary thing in my life--I love it.  But I came to texting after growing up with real people skills, which very few young people I meet seem to have. 

I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but eye contact, a firm handshake and the ability to do participate in both the asking and answering components of general conversation, should not fall by the wayside.

The group of kids going out together but not interacting and always having their phone in hand makes me think that things are really not going to be OK.  When people spend more time staging having fun for twitter and FB posts than actually doing fun things and just experiencing them, and the inevitable need for validation of "fun" by your "followers" or "friends" that gets perpetuated, it has got to have far reaching consequences on their psyche. 

Now we have a whole generation of people like that. Yikes.

2013-05-23 12:11 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

So true. Very sad.

Why don't we focus more on the woman who HIT A CYCLIST rather than the fact that she uses Twitter. Who cares if she uses Twitter?
2013-05-23 12:29 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Artemis

So true. Very sad.

Why don't we focus more on the woman who HIT A CYCLIST rather than the fact that she uses Twitter. Who cares if she uses Twitter?

I didn't think of it as an either or thing.  To me it is very interesting that anyone would tweet something like that.

I think we can all agree that hitting a cyclist is effed up.  I think about it every time I get on my bike, and, unfortunately, we can't string together too many days without hearing about it happening.:/ But to tweet about hitting a cyclist, and to tweet about it with pride and disdain for cycling seems like an important part of the story to me, and it is a reflection of a certain type of culture that seems drawn to things l like tweeting.

2013-05-23 12:32 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Strava and BT are my Facebook and Twitter.

Just sayin'   

To the original topic, though: WTF?  I might be old fashioned at the ripe old age of 44 (OK, 45 by USAT - yes!!), but hitting a cyclist with a car should be a big deal.

2013-05-23 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Artemis

So true. Very sad.

I didn't think of it as an either or thing.  To me it is very interesting that anyone would tweet something like that.

I think we can all agree that hitting a cyclist is effed up.  I think about it every time I get on my bike, and, unfortunately, we can't string together too many days without hearing about it happening.:/ But to tweet about hitting a cyclist, and to tweet about it with pride and disdain for cycling seems like an important part of the story to me, and it is a reflection of a certain type of culture that seems drawn to things l like tweeting.

Well said
2013-05-23 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Yes, very disturbing.

Certainly messed up that she would brag about it on social media. It seems to be a common thing today, do something outrageous and then turn to Facebook, Twitter, or a blog and write about it to your "friends". Sensationalism within their audience, adds a thrill to their pathetic lives.

The whole mentality of "Cars vs. Cyclists" on the roads has to stop.

2013-05-23 2:03 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Looks like she apologized....

... for tweeting about it.

2013-05-23 4:04 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
I don't understand her "apology." Her tweet was that she clearly intended to cause him harm. She was proud of hitting a cyclist because he's not supposed to be on the road and he doesn't pay road tax, so he deserved it. If she had said this all out loud, immediately after she could possibly justify her "spur of the moment" excuse. Not that it's a valid excuse. However, she more than likely got where she was going (of course she's also probably the type who would type on her phone while driving), stopped and some time later was still in that frame of mind to make that comment.

She's just a completely and total scumbag with no respect for human life. She should be charged with attempted murder. She intentionally hit a person with her car and easily could've killed them.
2013-05-23 4:19 PM
in reply to: RookieIM

User image

Originally posted by RookieIM

She's just a completely and total scumbag with no respect for human life. She should be charged with attempted murder. She intentionally hit a person with her car and easily could've killed them.

Where did you determine the intent?
2013-05-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I think the part where she said "I have right of way he doesn’t even pay road tax!". I would think that would be intent. Then again maybe not.
2013-05-23 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
She likely won't be arrested. She will most likely be served a summons.

2013-05-23 8:00 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by simpsonbo She likely won't be arrested. She will most likely be served a summons.

You sound like you know the law regrading car v cycle aggression in the UK.  Why a "summons," and what exactly does that mean?

2013-05-24 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4753429

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
They don't pay a road tax I read...
2013-05-24 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Its a document that compels her to court. If she skips a warrant is issued.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » woman hit and runs cyclist then brags on twitter Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cyclist killed in hit and run

Started by triOK
Views: 2290 Posts: 20

2009-06-24 3:10 PM Steve-

11 Cyclist Hit Sunday Morning in Miami.

Started by nickcach
Views: 1290 Posts: 6

2008-08-25 2:36 PM Donto

Cyclist Hits Bear During Triathlon

Started by autumn
Views: 1050 Posts: 7

2006-07-27 7:52 PM joannh13

Austin cyclist hit and killed

Started by Vegas
Views: 1566 Posts: 17

2006-04-18 9:42 PM dgunthert

Cyclist injured in hit-and-run

Started by tpetersen02
Views: 829 Posts: 6

2005-06-23 10:08 PM skavoovie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
If stay in the aero position for an extended period of time, I experience discomfort in my right hip and the lateral aspect of my left knee since putting on aerobars.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America