Other Resources My Cup of Joe » This New Site Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-22 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: This New Site
I'm close to quitting using this site because of how extremely un-user friendly I find it. I hate this redesign.

2013-05-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: This New Site
I don't hate it - maybe because I just try not to let stuff like that bother me much - but I'm definitely not digging it either. 10 clicks for what used to take one or two.
2013-05-22 4:09 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Bye...

There is always going to be growing pains with a new release.  It always happens with any web site and/or software.  Happened the last upgrade.

This is a FREE site that is basically friendly and supportive with great advice.  There is a good community of people and the amount of functions this site has is amazing.  Forums, calculators, logs, plans, routes, nutrition, messaging, etc.

If all of that doesn't make up for a little discomfort of learning a new site and having it take a little time to get back up to speed?  Yeah, bye.

2013-05-22 4:23 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I knew the site had to roll over and why--though I, too, have been frustrated by being unable to reach out as easily as I used to, and to me this was the heart of BT.

However, it helped to read this, from Ron's blog (I think it's also in a State of BT post that's either stickied in Tri Talk or the Bugs forum):

FORCED EVOLUTION

Another day in the trenches.  We're getting better.  Programmers and I only went to bed around 12/1 last night.

Was Axteraa right in thinking I was nuts in going live?  I still would disagree, even given the last, brutal 72 hours.

A little retrospective:  Up until now, BT had 10 years of bolt on-code.  The core always stayed the same, we never broke much when 'adding on' a new feature.  It was all carefully balanced, intertwined and it worked.  That code is 10 years old, there were many technical reasons to migrate some of our stuff to .NET, doing interopt stuff (not that I understand), etc.  To continue for another 10 years, we also had to update our core to make developing new features faster, etc

The majority of the bugs we are dealing with were fine on our dev2 server.  We were actually testing the training log for a month a least and worked out many, many things.  But as we found out, going to live 'just introduces things'.  And for technical reasons, we couldn't even test the Garmin functionality on the dev2 site.  We had to cross our fingers.

I knew that there were several, unoptimized items...BT blogger (that page was always a dog anyway), the nutrition log, possibly the friends page.  I also knew that by increasing the number of testers from 24 to 'several thousand' per day, we are going to find a lot more stuff.

A user indicated that 'we should have gotten another group of beta testers' and tested for more months.  I disagree.  It wouldn't have helped 'that much'.  They found the main bugs.  Their time was donated...there is only so much time people have.  I am grateful for the time they gave.  Prolonging it wouldn't have helped much more.

SURE, I knew several pages (nutrition, friends, etc) weren't 'ready for prime time' but that is JUST IT...what better way to REALLY improve upon a feature without a little FORCED EVOLUTION? Yeah, it sucks that it may be buggy for several days...but you will get a much better product then just me and a few eager beta testers trying to make it perfect.  What we get is a lot more ideas AND ESPECIALLY I get to 'really learn' how users use a particular item.  Take the Friends page. I have learned a great deal on how exactly that page is used by members, what they love about it.  I didn't have that information before.  Sure, I was very open in the redesign at the beginning, taking polls, showing screenshots, accepting comments (Whizz convinced me to put the dashboard back)...but there were only a few handfuls of people that took the time at that early stage to offer feedback.  I went on the information I had at the time.

So dumping on you a site that was, I would say, 95% complete (~80% optimized)...was a risk I took and I would take it again.  At the end of the day, the forums 'worked', the training log (aside from garmin) 'worked', the other pages 'worked' for the most part.  This was the time for the masses to find out all the other lurking bugs that n handful of beta testers with busy lives didn't find.  It was also a time for critical feedback on items (such as friends, nutrition log) so I could really understand how you use them and work on some quick changes so you have the best product once the bugs get worked out.

With ANY site that you took 10 years to add-on code, that you then have to overhaul for the future from the core to the user-interface, there will be A LOT of issues going live that you just won't catch in development.  You would need a team of about 6 programmers at least, running a completely new development live site not on a subdomain, on it's OWN server (not shared with the live site), with mirrored development environments on the servers and local machines...to possibly pull this off any better than we did.  That is A LOT of money and resources.  We are not a big company, just a couple of part-time programmers spread out over the country.  Anybody remember the TP upgrade a few years back?  I followed that, more for a learning experience.  Similar website, similar antiquated core and UI that we had.  They were a bigger company at the time, and pulling off their huge redesign had just as many issues, if not more, than what we have had recently.  The outcry was far-reaching as the interface changed even much more than ours.  MMR too.  One of their transformational redesigns left their equipment tracker on the old site and not on the live, beta site that users were defaulted too.  I knew better than to do that.  

I know a portion of you think this was a terrible decision to go live with the bugs we have, but I politely disagree.  Given what we had to do, we pulled it off well and are quickly working out the 'oddities' and bugs that a few dozen eyes weren't ever going to catch, even on a geological time-scale.

Thank you much for your patience.  We are getting there.

2013-05-22 4:58 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I've had my frustrations as well. For one thing, with my home PC it takes me 2 or 3x logging-in before I can actually get in. I get a message indicating down for upgrades. Probably my browser as my PC is really old. No problems on my ipad or work PC. The navigation is going to take some getting used to. Yesterday I actually ended up making a post in TAN! Then there was the d^#n triple post! I like this site though. A month from now I won't be giving the new format much though at all.
2013-05-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: rayd

User image

Sensei
Sin City
In case you haven't seen it.  If you got a gripe, you got this.

2013-05-22 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
I'm never a fan of change, but that's the price of doing business on the net... What I'm wondering is if there's a mobile version or am I just too dumb to find it? My old mobile links are broken and the full version on my phone is not so awesome.
2013-05-22 5:36 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Don't let the door hit you...   #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, I've had minor usability frustrations but nothing major.  My biggest complaint is that I don't have a link at the bottom of the page to take me back to the parent forum.  When I post I have to scroll all the way to the top to click on the parent forum link.  Other than that, I'm fine with everything.

I own an IT company and it's never fun to work on a 747 while it's flying through the air.  No matter what, something is going to get missed or be "buggy" and overall I'd give the BT crew an A- on the issues I've encountered.

If I were paying hundreds of dollars a month for this service I may be a little more picky, but I'm not.  BT is a free service to me and I really appreciate the efforts of the staff and volunteers here.

2013-05-22 5:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I can barely operate a computer to begin with.........nothing new here for me. Laughing  

"You would need a team of about 6 programmers at least, running a completely new development live site not on a subdomain, on it's OWN server (not shared with the live site), with mirrored development environments on the servers and local machines...to possibly pull this off any better...."

This is exactly what I have been trying to tell people.....wait..........what?  

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-22 5:52 PM
2013-05-22 5:54 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite

I have some minor gripes, I can't inspire folk anymore - unless I want some kind of eplileptic seizure while my screen does a strobe light show.

Everything else on the computer works well.

The phone, well it's not ideal as a medium for this kind of site anyway, just for when I need to post something and i'm not near a computer.

I like the new 'look and layout' of the site.  Agreed don't like scrolling all the way to the top for some stuff.

And in threads to change pages the option is only at the bottom not top and bottom.  I'm pretty sure they are easy fixes anyhow.

I belong to another triathlon training thingo and their site is way worse.  Just sayin.

2013-05-22 6:00 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

(1-1273351908-painting-don-t-look-a-gift-horse-in-the-mout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1-1273351908-painting-don-t-look-a-gift-horse-in-the-mout.jpg (94KB - 12 downloads)

2013-05-22 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hadn't read Ron's piece before now, thanks Yanti.  For me, this is a free site. One way I could give back was testing, and as one who beta tested, I could only test what I use.  And it is being worked on and getting better, so what seems to be the big problem?  

In life we have choices, we can complain, we can adjust, or we can be part of the solution by helping out. If you leave, you are going to have to adjust. If you stay you will have to adjust. Your choice. Maybe next time you can be part of the solution.

Ron, thanks for all your efforts and those of your team.

2013-05-22 6:48 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I cannot say I like the new look
the rest I can put up with
2013-05-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What we get is a lot more ideas AND ESPECIALLY I get to 'really learn' how users use a particular item.  Take the Friends page. I have learned a great deal on how exactly that page is used by members, what they love about it.  I didn't have that information before.  

I'm surprised to read this, as the "community" aspect (friends, inspires, accessing other blogs) is one of the biggest draws to BT - as evidenced by all of the comments in the "site bugs" area and here. It's interesting and a bit perplexing that Ron and the team didn't know this or see how big of a deal it was to the users before the switch.

2013-05-22 7:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Change is hard. So is trying to avoid the pop up boxes and drop down thingies. Still trying to get the hang of it!

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-22 8:03 PM
2013-05-22 7:49 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Eh, it is what it is. Right? Nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately I can't even get to my clients Training Log pages anymore to look at their past races, workouts, etc. I go to Community> Friends> click on their picture and I can't get to their Training Log. Upsetting. But what can I do?

I will say that I pay for a membership to this website, because it has been an intricate part of me becoming a triathlete, making other triathlete friends in DFW, and acquiring coaching clients. While I don't use most of the features of a paying membership, I still pay. I think it is just appropriate to give back, considering how much this website has given me.

And hopefully someday it will give me the ability to view people's Training Logs again... someday.

2013-05-22 8:26 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by KSHEh, it is what it is. Right? Nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately I can't even get to my clients Training Log pages anymore to look at their past races, workouts, etc. I go to Community> Friends> click on their picture and I can't get to their Training Log. Upsetting. But what can I do? I will say that I pay for a membership to this website, because it has been an intricate part of me becoming a triathlete, making other triathlete friends in DFW, and acquiring coaching clients. While I don't use most of the features of a paying membership, I still pay. I think it is just appropriate to give back, considering how much this website has given me. And hopefully someday it will give me the ability to view people's Training Logs again... someday.
I can view my friends training logs. When you click on their picture in 'friends' information about them will show up on the right of 'all of your friends' there will be links to that particular friend's trading logs, races, recient posts...
2013-05-22 9:15 PM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Elite

Originally posted by jcnipper I don't hate it - maybe because I just try not to let stuff like that bother me much - but I'm definitely not digging it either. 10 clicks for what used to take one or two.

Thats what I'm finding.  a lot more navigating and more clicks.  Did things need to be redone? It just seems less friendly too, more businesslike.

I'll get used to it, but yes, I'm like the grumpy old man that doesn't like change...

2013-05-22 9:38 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Metathesiophobia - Fear of changes

2013-05-22 10:38 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
MA
All changes take a while to get used to.

Does anyone get to see complains every time Facebook make a change? Most comments were "I hate the new look. The previous version is so much better." People didn't remember how much they hated the "previous version" when it first came out. This applies to many other things.

Yes, the new BT has a lot of rooms for improvement. This is a free site, and Ron and his team are working hard on them. Please see the positives.
2013-05-22 10:53 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Originally posted by tuwood

Don't let the door hit you...   #firstworldproblems

Seriously though, I've had minor usability frustrations but nothing major.  My biggest complaint is that I don't have a link at the bottom of the page to take me back to the parent forum.  When I post I have to scroll all the way to the top to click on the parent forum link.  Other than that, I'm fine with everything.

I own an IT company and it's never fun to work on a 747 while it's flying through the air.  No matter what, something is going to get missed or be "buggy" and overall I'd give the BT crew an A- on the issues I've encountered.

If I were paying hundreds of dollars a month for this service I may be a little more picky, but I'm not.  BT is a free service to me and I really appreciate the efforts of the staff and volunteers here.

Like! It's change; deal with it.

2013-05-22 11:00 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Originally posted by lisac957

What we get is a lot more ideas AND ESPECIALLY I get to 'really learn' how users use a particular item.  Take the Friends page. I have learned a great deal on how exactly that page is used by members, what they love about it.  I didn't have that information before.  

I'm surprised to read this, as the "community" aspect (friends, inspires, accessing other blogs) is one of the biggest draws to BT - as evidenced by all of the comments in the "site bugs" area and here. It's interesting and a bit perplexing that Ron and the team didn't know this or see how big of a deal it was to the users before the switch.

I doubt that.  The biggest draw to BT is that it's a resource for people who are new to triathlon....."community" may happen for a minority of the people who register on this site, but I think to call it "one of the biggest draws" is a pretty big leap.  In fact, I would bet that all of the people who feel some kind of "community" here could leave and the number of new members would barely drop off at all.

As far as a business.....the folks who stick around a long time most likely pay less and less to the site, because they don't need the help like they did when they first signed up.

Look at the number of posts by the avg. user on the main Triathlon board.......lots of double and triple digits there.  It's the nature of triathlon in general....most people don't last very long.

2013-05-23 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I am feeling a little disoriented but I think the new site is a much more modern web look that might be more enticing for new members not feeling like they are going back in time to use this site.

I see a few things I do really like that seem to be improvements and may feel more like it when I get used to the new interface. I can say the same thing about other software and sites - my workplace is way behind in software so getting upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 was a big change and even though some of the older shortcuts and interfaces change it actually has some usability that is much better (pivot tables, anyone!) - i guess you just take the good with the `bad`

I like:
- on the profile page for a member you can see a listing of experience and their recent activity
- And in the community section - when you click on a friend you can get a quick summary of their latest activity including forum posts and such so that`s neat.
- In the forums the hover over features allows me to read some of the first and last post without actually going into the thread.

I do have some browser issues at work which make some of the drop downs not appear or inspires difficult to use but they work on my home computer so that`s an issue with my software which is fine. I am used to being behind the times at work.

The only drawback to me is that i can`t `stalk`some people`s training blogs in the same way .... but if that`s the worst i am not that upset about it.
2013-05-23 7:14 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by lisac957

I doubt that.  The biggest draw to BT is that it's a resource for people who are new to triathlon....."community" may happen for a minority of the people who register on this site, but I think to call it "one of the biggest draws" is a pretty big leap.  In fact, I would bet that all of the people who feel some kind of "community" here could leave and the number of new members would barely drop off at all.

As far as a business.....the folks who stick around a long time most likely pay less and less to the site, because they don't need the help like they did when they first signed up.

Look at the number of posts by the avg. user on the main Triathlon board.......lots of double and triple digits there.  It's the nature of triathlon in general....most people don't last very long.

Thanks to Yanti for posting the note from Ron.  I hadn't seen that, and it certainly gives us an idea of what a nightmare it must be to work through a site overhaul like this.  Site overhauls are horrific amount of work.  Our non-profit is due for one, and I just can't bring myself to do it for all of these reasons. Ugh.

As a newish user (started in April), who hadn't yet developed a strong attachment to the old site, I thought I'd offer my $.02. 

I like the new site.  Admittedly, I hadn't been using the training logs, I still don't  know what an "inspire" is, and I don't have any "friends", so maybe I hadn't been using the site enough to really feel these growing pains.  I like the new aesthetic more than the old.  I like the new quoting system in the forums and I like how you can now see who a response is to without quoting.  These seem like improvements. 

I think LB made some good observations about community in general, but Lisa I also agree with you.  I have found the BT community to be EXCEEDINGLY nice and supportive, lots of people who reach out via PM--to just say hi or to offer specific help or a training suggestion.  That is a very noticeable difference between BT and ST.  The community here is very inclusive and supportive, whether you use it as such and build from that is probably very individual.

One thing that I don't particularly like is that there are so many separate subforums.  I think that can make traffic seem slow even when it's not, and there are posts that I miss, but would like, because they are in a forum I don't check frequently.  I think "strength training" and "nutrition" and "weight loss" are all categories that seem to be a part of "tri talk" but this is a small thing, and, again, probably just personal preference.

Overall, I find the site to be very navigable and intuitive, especially for a complete Luddite like me. 

2013-05-23 7:16 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and say deal with it or don't. Your choice. BT has been a wonderful resource for me! (Personal and tri-related)

I appreciate your re-post of Ron's blog Yanti. I was looking for something like "why the upgrade?" Not that I didn't believe it was needed, but I want to know WHY I'm dealing with the inconvenience. It also would've been SUPER helpful if there was a "how to" for popular things.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » This New Site Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

My new employer doesnt allow bicycles on the mill site

Started by comet the dog
Views: 803 Posts: 3

2011-02-13 3:23 PM comet the dog

my new art site

Started by mikep
Views: 756 Posts: 8

2008-09-03 3:10 PM mikep

New Avatar making site

Started by KenD
Views: 584 Posts: 1

2007-06-10 11:25 AM KenD

Time waster sites/friend sites/etc Pages: 1 2

Started by Comet
Views: 2946 Posts: 45

2006-01-17 2:58 PM runnergirl29

SITE UPDATES/APOLOGY

Started by Ron
Views: 1718 Posts: 13

2013-05-23 8:17 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.