Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-05-23 7:25 AM
in reply to: lkct01234

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: This New Site
I JUST NOTICED POLITICAL JOE. I TAKE BACK ANYTHING NEGATIVE I SAID ABOUT THE NEW SITE AND AM THANKFUL I NEVER HAVE TO SEE POLITICAL THREADS FILL UP MY NONSENSICAL FUN COJ EVER AGAIN.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BT

2013-05-23 7:59 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by mehaner

I JUST NOTICED POLITICAL JOE. I TAKE BACK ANYTHING NEGATIVE I SAID ABOUT THE NEW SITE AND AM THANKFUL I NEVER HAVE TO SEE POLITICAL THREADS FILL UP MY NONSENSICAL FUN COJ EVER AGAIN.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BT

Agreed!

I belong to another forum where we have a "Political Wasteland." It is nice to be able to step out of an area that gets under your skin so that you can just stick to the topic. I have seen other forums which keep that area secure and not open to new members or trouble makers.
2013-05-23 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by mehaner I JUST NOTICED POLITICAL JOE. I TAKE BACK ANYTHING NEGATIVE I SAID ABOUT THE NEW SITE AND AM THANKFUL I NEVER HAVE TO SEE POLITICAL THREADS FILL UP MY NONSENSICAL FUN COJ EVER AGAIN. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU BT

Hah, I didn't even notice that.  Sounds like a good idea.

2013-05-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Champion
Calgary
OP I feel your pain. I come from planet "change is never good". I liked the amateurish feel to the old site, the way things were hacked together. To me it wasn't broke so I don't know why you bother to fix it.

BUT, I ain't going nowhere. I know my ancient synapses will adjust and this slick willy site will fill me with the endorphins I got when I used the old site. Give it time. It will feel like home again soon enough.
2013-05-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by lisac957

What we get is a lot more ideas AND ESPECIALLY I get to 'really learn' how users use a particular item.  Take the Friends page. I have learned a great deal on how exactly that page is used by members, what they love about it.  I didn't have that information before.  

I'm surprised to read this, as the "community" aspect (friends, inspires, accessing other blogs) is one of the biggest draws to BT - as evidenced by all of the comments in the "site bugs" area and here. It's interesting and a bit perplexing that Ron and the team didn't know this or see how big of a deal it was to the users before the switch.

I doubt that.  The biggest draw to BT is that it's a resource for people who are new to triathlon....."community" may happen for a minority of the people who register on this site, but I think to call it "one of the biggest draws" is a pretty big leap.  In fact, I would bet that all of the people who feel some kind of "community" here could leave and the number of new members would barely drop off at all.

If everyone who felt a sense of "community" left, there would be no community.

2013-05-23 11:02 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

What we get is a lot more ideas AND ESPECIALLY I get to 'really learn' how users use a particular item.  Take the Friends page. I have learned a great deal on how exactly that page is used by members, what they love about it.  I didn't have that information before.  

I'm surprised to read this, as the "community" aspect (friends, inspires, accessing other blogs) is one of the biggest draws to BT - as evidenced by all of the comments in the "site bugs" area and here. It's interesting and a bit perplexing that Ron and the team didn't know this or see how big of a deal it was to the users before the switch.

I doubt that.  The biggest draw to BT is that it's a resource for people who are new to triathlon....."community" may happen for a minority of the people who register on this site, but I think to call it "one of the biggest draws" is a pretty big leap.  In fact, I would bet that all of the people who feel some kind of "community" here could leave and the number of new members would barely drop off at all.

My point is that there are probably far less people who feel that way than you think there are.....and they certainly don't have a huge bearing on whether the site is successful.  In fact, the really successful boards have a constant influx of new people and that's what keeps the board alive.  As I said, the people who have been here awhile and feel some sense of community.....meh....from what I can see alot of them aren't paying customers anymore anyway.

My own personal feeling is that I could not possibly feel a sense of community from an internet board....I need human interaction to feel that way.  Maybe if I met some people in person or talked by phone I would feel a closer sense with those people.....but still not others.  I have done that with other boards I have been affililated with, but not so far with this baord because I don't like to train with other people....and the people I do know who do triathlon talk about it non-stop, to the point where I don't want to be around them anymore.

Still, I come here to read about trends and ideas with regard to triathlon and training, and to log my workouts......the rest of it is just banter that I could take or leave.

2013-05-23 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I'm excited that I convinced Ron to keep the dashboard. I <3 my dashboard.
2013-05-23 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

My point is that there are probably far less people who feel that way than you think there are.....and they certainly don't have a huge bearing on whether the site is successful.  In fact, the really successful boards have a constant influx of new people and that's what keeps the board alive.  As I said, the people who have been here awhile and feel some sense of community.....meh....from what I can see alot of them aren't paying customers anymore anyway.

My own personal feeling is that I could not possibly feel a sense of community from an internet board....I need human interaction to feel that way.  Maybe if I met some people in person or talked by phone I would feel a closer sense with those people.....but still not others.  I have done that with other boards I have been affililated with, but not so far with this baord because I don't like to train with other people....and the people I do know who do triathlon talk about it non-stop, to the point where I don't want to be around them anymore.

Still, I come here to read about trends and ideas with regard to triathlon and training, and to log my workouts......the rest of it is just banter that I could take or leave.

Ouch, man;)

2013-05-23 12:41 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My point is that there are probably far less people who feel that way than you think there are.....and they certainly don't have a huge bearing on whether the site is successful.  

I doubt that.

2013-05-23 12:53 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro

My point is that there are probably far less people who feel that way than you think there are.....and they certainly don't have a huge bearing on whether the site is successful.  

I doubt that.

Just curious....based on what?  There are thousands of poeple who view/use this board in a day.......how many "friends" do you have listed?  50?  100?  Nobody knows or cares except you. (I don't mean that sarcastically or mean-spirited)  If you and all 50 of those "friends" left the board would barely notice.  The same with me or anyone else.  I'm amazed at the number of people who aren't here since I started looking at the board.....some of them had some outstanding knowledge and information....still, I don't see that the board's traffic has suffered.  There are still plenty of new people everyday who keep things running along.

If there is a "community" it is of triathletes, not a message board.......this board is not triathlon.  It's a great resource and I enjoy it, but I don't think I could ever see it as a "community".

2013-05-23 12:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I am really disappointed to see people react so negatively to someone expressing unhappiness with the new design.  I can say that of the areas that I use on the site, I am happy with the logs.  The forums are no longer very user friendly, and the friends section is not intuitive at all.  I have been using BT for 8+ years now, and spend time here almost every day.  I have already seen my time on BT drop as it's easier to find things I want to read on other sites.  

Some of you may say, "Oh well, see ya.", but I hope you realize that if you keep doing that you'll be here all alone.

Ron,

I applaud your effort to keep BT fresh and full of new functionality, and I hope that the interfaces you are using for your forums and other pages provide enough flexibility that you will be able to address the concerns that people provide.

I would be really interested to see a poll of how people feel about the new site.  And I hope that things become more usable going forward.  

I will go to the site support page once I compile my list of concerns/issues.

Edited by velocomp 2013-05-23 12:58 PM

2013-05-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Originally posted by velocomp

I am really disappointed to see people react so negatively to someone expressing unhappiness with the new design.  I can say that of the areas that I use on the site, I am happy with the logs.  The forums are no longer very user friendly, and the friends section is not intuitive at all.  I have been using BT for 8+ years now, and spend time here almost every day.  I have already seen my time on BT drop as it's easier to find things I want to read on other sites.  

Some of you may say, "Oh well, see ya.", but I hope you realize that if you keep doing that you'll be here all alone.

Ron,

I applaud your effort to keep BT fresh and full of new functionality, and I hope that the interfaces you are using for your forums and other pages provide enough flexibility that you will be able to address the concerns that people provide.

I would be really interested to see a poll of how people feel about the new site.  And I hope that things become more usable going forward.  

I will go to the site support page once I compile my list of concerns/issues.

i think a lot of us are unhappy with a lot of the changes, and don't care about that. it's the "i'm gonna quit the site!" comment that is getting the feedback. it's a free site full of good content and great designers that will fix the problems quickly, i'm sure, and it's silly to sit there and say "i'm gonna take my ball and go home." just go if that's the case, or have a little patience like the rest of us.
2013-05-23 1:15 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Change is inevitable.

I don't mind the change, it does take a little getting used to, though.

Thanks to Ron, Marmadaddy, and the rest of the developers for taking much of their time to present a newer and fresher product.
2013-05-23 1:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-23 1:21 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri Change is inevitable. I don't mind the change, it does take a little getting used to, though. Thanks to Ron, Marmadaddy, and the rest of the developers for taking much of their time to present a newer and fresher product.

I was thinking this exact same thing.  I don't mind the change either - I actually like the look of the new site, and it's the same when learning anything new - it's going to take some time getting used to and then you won't even think about it anymore.  There are some things that I think are still being worked on (the friends/friends of friends and inspires) - but it's a learning process for the developers too. 

More thanks to the developers (and the testers) for putting in all the time and effort to give us a new and improved site. 

2013-05-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-23 2:13 PM

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mehaner  i think a lot of us are unhappy with a lot of the changes, and don't care about that. it's the "i'm gonna quit the site!" comment that is getting the feedback. it's a free site full of good content and great designers that will fix the problems quickly, i'm sure, and it's silly to sit there and say "i'm gonna take my ball and go home." just go if that's the case, or have a little patience like the rest of us.

Right. I was sort of thinking it's like going to someone's birthday party with free booze, food, cake, entertainment where lots of people are generally enjoying themselves, but because you don't like the decorations, go the the door and proclaim loudly to everyone "THIS PARTY SUCKS!  I'M LEAVING!".

Why they dramatic exit?  If you don't like the decorations, just LEAVE.  Adios. 

2013-05-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: Kido

Sensei
Sin City

Honestly, just because of changes in my life, I haven't been using all the features of BT, so I haven't been getting in there to find problems.  Log a few workout and post in the forums.  Took a week, but getting used to the look and the basic things that I still use are now working well.

I'm a paid member, will continue to be one because I like the plans...  I figure give it a couple weeks/month and 99% of it will be running smoothly.

2013-05-23 2:17 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Originally posted by Teejaay

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by 1stTimeTri Change is inevitable. I don't mind the change, it does take a little getting used to, though. Thanks to Ron, Marmadaddy, and the rest of the developers for taking much of their time to present a newer and fresher product.

I was thinking this exact same thing.  I don't mind the change either - I actually like the look of the new site, and it's the same when learning anything new - it's going to take some time getting used to and then you won't even think about it anymore.  There are some things that I think are still being worked on (the friends/friends of friends and inspires) - but it's a learning process for the developers too. 

More thanks to the developers (and the testers) for putting in all the time and effort to give us a new and improved site. 

I went through the last change to this website and there was a lot of grumbling ...we survived! And that was when BT had a wee amount of members! Ron and the developers are doing a fine job and we will all adapt to using the new features. I've the faith!

Yes, like TJ mentioned, the community aspect is HUGE to this site... At our wedding alone, probably 1/3 of the guest list was from BT. Internet friends. People I met here on this site, met in person, hung out with, got to know and ultimately invited to my wedding, which was, incidentally, also to a member of BT. (We met on this very site, through the training logs!) NO JOKE!

So, the community aspect of this for me has been life changing. I have traveled to Tucson to hang out with TJ, I have traveled to London to hang out with Goggs and Monica, I have traveled to New York to hang out with LazyMarathoner, and countless BT'ers have spent the night in the (former) Palace with the fur children.

Take that all away and you're taking away the potential for another group of young (impressionable! ha!) triathletes to make life long friendships!

(8787674151105_MOsm.JPG)

(20121124_160533sm.jpg)

(weddingtony4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
8787674151105_MOsm.JPG (50KB - 7 downloads)
20121124_160533sm.jpg (125KB - 8 downloads)
weddingtony4.jpg (21KB - 8 downloads)
2013-05-23 2:22 PM
in reply to: Teejaay

Pro
Originally posted by Teejaay

I doubt that.

Just curious....based on what?  There are thousands of poeple who view/use this board in a day.......how many "friends" do you have listed?  50?  100?  Nobody knows or cares except you. (I don't mean that sarcastically or mean-spirited)  If you and all 50 of those "friends" left the board would barely notice.  The same with me or anyone else.  I'm amazed at the number of people who aren't here since I started looking at the board.....some of them had some outstanding knowledge and information....still, I don't see that the board's traffic has suffered.  There are still plenty of new people everyday who keep things running along.

If there is a "community" it is of triathletes, not a message board.......this board is not triathlon.  It's a great resource and I enjoy it, but I don't think I could ever see it as a "community".

The community that most are referring to is taking place within the inspires on the blogs. Not on the public forum boards. There is a huge huge community of people that have met and consider each other friends on this site that keep on touch via inspires. Some never venture into the forums. I've been around since 2004 and have met, in person, hundreds of BTrs. I've formed good friendships with many people here. And we talk about a lot of other things than triathlon. Youd be surprised how many of us that joined in the beginning are still around. I personally do not do triathlon but still want to support and read the blogs and race reports of my friends that do. And the blogs work for other sports too so I figured I'd use them whilst I'm here. Just because you aren't using BT for the community/ friends aspect doesn't mean it doesn't exist and isn't an important part of this website to a lot of people. (All errors and such are to blamed on the iPad).

I get what you are saying Teejay, and I was part of the same type of community on a hunting/dog training board at one time.  I hunted all over the country with people I met on that board.....BUT....it wasn't a huge part of the board, or even remotely why the board was successful.  The board was succesful because it constantly had an influx of new people learning to do what we were already doing.  The overwhelming majority NEVER joined in on the in-person community that developed as an off shoot to that board.....just lke here.  Yeah, you have a community of people who know each other personally.....I wouldn't call "hundreds" a "huge number" and, as I said, I think it's a reach to say that it's one of the "big reasons" for a succesful board.  As an aside......there came a time when the people who new each other personally from the board thought they WERE the board....that was the beginning of the end for that site.

BTW - I like the new format.....and I agree with others who say that whining or complaining won't help much.

2013-05-23 3:18 PM

Sensei
Sin City

I'm also curious.  You ask Lisa to justify/base her view point.  Fair enough.

But what do you base your views on?

I think if you ask her to justify her opinion because you don't agree with it, it's only fair you justify yours, no?

2013-05-23 3:19 PM
in reply to: 0

Pro
Originally posted by Kido

I think if you ask her to justify her opinion because you don't agree with it, it's only fair you justify yours, no?

I agree.......read my response to Teejay's post.....that should cover it for you. 

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-23 3:23 PM
2013-05-23 3:26 PM

Sensei
Sin City

I agree.......read my response to Teejay's thread.....that should cover it for you. 

Did you moderate that board?  Know the counts of new people vs people that stay?  Looks like speculation on your part based on observation or gut feel.  Very reasonable speculation, but speculation.

Maybe Lisa's experiences are different, so her view/speculation could be very different too, no?

Neither may be right or wrong.

Looks to me, neither of you have any factual basis to establish your opinion other than personal experience, which of course is subjective.

2013-05-23 3:36 PM
in reply to: Kido

Pro

I agree.......read my response to Teejay's thread.....that should cover it for you. 

Did you moderate that board?  Know the counts of new people vs people that stay?  Looks like speculation on your part based on observation or gut feel.  Very reasonable speculation, but speculation.

Maybe Lisa's experiences are different, so her view/speculation could be very different too, no?

Neither may be right or wrong.

Looks to me, neither of you have any factual basis to establish your opinion other than personal experience, which of course is subjective.

Dude....I was one of 3 origional owners of the board. 

As far as "very reasonable speculation vs. speculation".............do we have to sit at the poker table all night again? Laughing

2013-05-23 3:39 PM

Sensei
Sin City

Dude....I was one of 3 origional owners of the board. 

As far as "very reasonable speculation vs. speculation".............do we have to sit at the poker table all night again? Laughing

You didn't mention that.

You probably have a very informed opinion then.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » This New Site Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

My new employer doesnt allow bicycles on the mill site

Started by comet the dog
Views: 801 Posts: 3

2011-02-13 3:23 PM comet the dog

my new art site

Started by mikep
Views: 754 Posts: 8

2008-09-03 3:10 PM mikep

New Avatar making site

Started by KenD
Views: 584 Posts: 1

2007-06-10 11:25 AM KenD

Time waster sites/friend sites/etc Pages: 1 2

Started by Comet
Views: 2941 Posts: 45

2006-01-17 2:58 PM runnergirl29

SITE UPDATES/APOLOGY

Started by Ron
Views: 1717 Posts: 13

2013-05-23 8:17 PM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
author : Daniel Clout
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.