World Triathlon Corporation
90'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 38m 36s
Overall Rank = 995/2814
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 126/258
Pre-race routine:

Got 6 hours sleep so no complaints there, up at four and had the usual, oatmeal with honey and an OJ. I dont like the tension before the start so try to keep it lose and dont let small details get to me. Tell myself, i am going to swim bike and run, dont over complicate it.
Event warmup:

Non really unless you count walk to swim. Did some light stretching of IT band.
Swim
  • 1h 45m 5s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my 4th open water swim race and first at this distance. Was not really looking forward to it, but thought training was coming along and swim time would be Ok. Didnt really work out that way.

Waited until right before gun went off to get in water, lined up near back and treaded water for about a minute and then gun went off. First 500 yards was uneventful, some bumping but not much. Got into groove and headed out, I only breath left so it was easy to site, unfortunately i veer to left and was continually have to adjust to right. Would occasionally hit some traffic but nothing heavy. I was cutting bouys tight and I think most people were swimming wider and sighting off farthest turn.

At first turn started to get swam past by wetsuit swimmers. After second turn and heading towards canal inlet I continued to swim on buoys when i should of been hugging shore to cut distance. About half way I was getting really bored with swimming and wanted to get done. The entire swim i never really pushed pace as I really dont have different gears in water and I have trouble determining how fast i am going. Before turning into canal my stomach started to act up, I think I got a mouth full of lake water and it didnt sit well. This caused me to throw up, I feel sorry for the person swimming to my left.

As i enterred canal i hugged the left hand wall and started to swim harder, about this time i realized i had done swim way too easy and should of been pushing more. In pool I swim between 1:50 and 2:00 as i watch the clock and try to keep my pace in that range. In open water i dont have enough experience to regulate my pace. I was shooting for a 1:30 or less and I turned in a 1:45. Wasnt very happy when i headed to transition but was glad to get it done.
What would you do differently?:

Do better job of sighting.
Push pace more, dont just swim along.
Dont drink lake water - its gross.
Transition 1
  • 10m 11s
Comments:

Biggest issue was getting the gear bag open. I knot got pulled tight and I had to mess with it for a minute to get into bag. Will probably swim in jersey and heart rate strap next time to avoid issues putting those on.
Bike
  • 6h 05m 17s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Was glad to get on bike as it is my favorite part of race. Goal for this part of race was to go 6 hours or less and ride smart and dont go out too hard. First twenty miles I was able to keep HR well below 135 and keep a good pace. Goal was to keep HR below 145 over entire bike.

Nutrition plan was one bottle of perform and one honey stinger per hour. This would give me about 350 calories per hour. Also take two salt tables per hour. Nutrition plan went well and only issues was forcing myself to drink perform, I ended up taking in one bottle less of perform but i did take in about half water bottle per aid station. Never felt weak or cramped on bike.

On bike i felt i could of really pushed harder, but didnt want to do it because I knew i would pay on run. I dialed it back and stuck to my plan. I really enjoy the bike and i get chatty and like to talk to people, some people dont seem to take to this but I find it helps lighten things up. (Dude in spotted speedo and pink Boa was good for a laugh every time i came across him.)

About mile 100 I was ready to get off bike as feet were really getting some hot spots. Need to check into some new inserts. Was able to stay aero most of time, would come out of aero for few small hills and to stretch. Was pleasently surprised by winds, expected them to be much worse. Really wasnt much of a factor.

Knowing what I know now, I could of pushed a little harder. Overall bike went as planned.
Transition 2
  • 11m 12s
Comments:

Running/walking with bike shoes made my feet feel like they were on fire. Next time take off shoes at grass.
Run
  • 5h 26m 51s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to get out of transition in under 8 hours and run a sub 5 hr marathon and overall come in between 12 and 13 hrs. Plan was little behind as I left T2 at about 8:20, but fell apart from there. My HR monitor was giving me some wacky readings of 170 first mile and I didnt feel like it was accurate. I stopped and checked pulse and I was in 140 range. I started to run again with plan for first lap to keep HR at about 140 or less and build it on each lap. I could keep my HR down but couldnt turn over my legs. I was disappointed as I have done a bunch of runs off the bike and I can stay at a 9:30 pace fairly easily. I think the heat was taking its toll and I just couldnt over come it. I continued with salt tabs and perform and water for first two laps. On third lap I switched to coke and it gave me a little energy bump. I "ran" most of the time and would walk through aid stations. When I started last lap the race clock read 12:04, I realized sub 13 really wasnt going to happen so i resolved to not get any slower. My splits between first and second half were about the same. Did have to stop at special needs to get dry pair of socks on second lap.

I really try to keep my feet dry, but I was dumping ice down my shorts, dumb dumb me didnt realize I was soaking my socks until too late. Got some minor blisters.

I loved the spectators on the run, they really made it fun. Got a bunch of energy and encouragement. It was also great to see my family each loop and get their encouragement.

Dont dump as much ice down my pants. Keep feet dry. Do more training in heat off bike.
Learn to suffer at a faster pace. I saw this comment from another race report and I thought it summed it up perfectly.
Post race
Warm down:

Met with family. Drank a chocolate milk. Only issue was legs starting to really lock up after I stopped running. Got to do the "shuffle" for a couple of days after race.

Watched some friends finish their race and then headed back to hotel. Treated myself to a double meat Whataburger, onion rings and even went crazy with a fried pie!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inability to run at race pace in heat/humidity.

Event comments:

Overall was a great race experience. While I didnt hit my time goals, the bigger goal was to have fun and enjoy the experience, that goal was accomplished. The finishing line was something I will never forget. The crowd make you feel like a rock star.

Last updated: 2013-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:45:05 | 4224 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 243/258
Overall: 2041/2814
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 10:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:05:17 | 112 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 157/258
Overall: 1237/2814
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:26:51 | 26.2 miles | 12m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 126/258
Overall: 997/2814
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-22 9:35 PM

New user

Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

2013-05-23 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4753753

Sugar Land, Texas
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2855 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2623 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2367 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2882 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3274 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.