General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Temp and demotivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-23 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Water Temp and demotivation
I have a HIM in Minnesota in about 2 weeks and I heard today that the water temp for the lake is in the mid 40s. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the RD to cancel the swim. Unless air temps jump to the upper 80s and lower 90s during the day and only drop into the 60s at night, I can't see how the water temp will rise to a level considered safe. Of the three events, I'm probably a middle to front of the pack (ish) biker and runner, but I'm a FOP swimmer in most of my tris. This has really taken a toll on my motivation. I'm basically entering an early taper phase becasue I'm heading out on vacation for a few days, but dag nabbit, the swim was gonna be the brag part of my race report.

Anyways, just looking for some sympathy / empathy but I can't imagine us swimming unless the water temp gets to at least 58 degrees (which is still frickn cold).

2013-05-23 12:37 PM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Water Temp and demotivation
That is frustrating. I'm a good swimmer as well and the only portion of longer races were I'm FOP. I would be upset too if the swim were cancelled. I would also be upset if I had to swim in that cold of water!

Is there another HIM you can sign up for in the next month or two, if this swim doesn't happen?
2013-05-23 1:42 PM

User image

Spokane
pretty sure they cancel it if its below 52.
2013-05-23 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
I presume you're talking about Liberty. Lake Rebecca is a small and VERY shallow lake (25 feet at it's deepest). Every day next week has highs in the 70s-80s and nighttime lows >60. Obviously this year is nothing like last year, but air temp was in the mid 90s on race day last year. I suspect we're due for some hotter days that following week. I'm going to guess that the water will be in the low to mid-60s by race day. Bring your wetsuit. They won't be cancelling the swim.
2013-05-23 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

No I won't ever give any of you FOP swimmers any sympathy or empathy!  Never!

;P

I would be very bummed, and I completely understand your disappointment.  It looks like the water temp will possible come up (re another poster).  Hope that's what happens, you get to swim, and it's at least mid 60s in there.

2013-05-23 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I am new to the sport and only done one sprint to date. I too am a fish. So I get to the event and am told due to a big storm two days earlier the water quality in the bay is too poor to allow the swim. So instead, they add a second run on the front end to replace the swim.

Now I SUCK at running. On top of that I had two bouts of Achilles tendonitis so in the six months before the race I ran exactly twice. So I competed the first run exactly two seconds ahead of the last finisher! I had an excellent bike, passing lots of folks. Then on the closing 5k I actually passed about 10 people.

Was it what I would have preferred to do...never. Did I have a great time...absolutely. If this is not playing to your strengths then go for the experience. Do your best, maybe try some things you might not in an 'A' race and HAVE FUN.! Don't let this get you down. There is always another race.

2013-05-23 2:54 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
I appreciate the responses!! Especially from the dude saying mid 60s water temp. Demotivation has dramatically decreased!!!

Thanks studs and studettes!!
2013-05-23 3:00 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rdailey1

I presume you're talking about Liberty. Lake Rebecca is a small and VERY shallow lake (25 feet at it's deepest). Every day next week has highs in the 70s-80s and nighttime lows >60. Obviously this year is nothing like last year, but air temp was in the mid 90s on race day last year. I suspect we're due for some hotter days that following week. I'm going to guess that the water will be in the low to mid-60s by race day. Bring your wetsuit. They won't be cancelling the swim.

Liberty is the race!! We have at least 10 coming from Sioux City for this event. Looking forward to it for sure!
2013-05-23 4:26 PM

User image

I got into the lake here (Northern Ontario) for the first time last weekend. It's been a cold spring here (it's currently 2 degrees C) and I've never enjoyed cold water or swam in water this cold. I put gloves on, grit my teeth and jumped in for an hour swim. I was surprised how quickly I warmed up and actually enjoyed the swim.
Have a great race.
2013-05-23 4:45 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by b2run I got into the lake here (Northern Ontario) for the first time last weekend. It's been a cold spring here (it's currently 2 degrees C) and I've never enjoyed cold water or swam in water this cold. I put gloves on, grit my teeth and jumped in for an hour swim. I was surprised how quickly I warmed up and actually enjoyed the swim. Have a great race.

Yeah, but you're Canadian.  Doesn't count;P

2013-05-23 7:31 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Gosh this was timely... my first sprint distance is on Sunday... the morning temp is due to be 3* (37*F) and mid-day temp 16* (60*F)... the water is currently about 64*F. RD said today most likely wetsuit required... I don't have one. I've been calling around and stores can't fit my proportions so i'm not going to be able to tri. RD has offered the Du as an alternative but as originally posted, i too will struggle to complete two runs. The responses here are completely helping me turn my frustration and disappointment into excitement to try something completely different. You're totally right... this is not my "A" race, this is a chance to learn and experience and just make it about fun (which is what this is supposed to be for me anyway!). Thanks all for chiming in. I really appreciate the perspective!

2013-05-23 7:53 PM
in reply to: rdailey1

User image

Minneapolis, MN

This for sure. We have already had 2 races in MN with OWS, and the swims occurred. 2 weeks is a lot of time to warm up. I would be amazed if the swim will be canceled.
2013-05-24 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
At what depth was that mid 40's obtained, as it's commonly warmer at the surface of the lake, and many lake temperatures are obtained at 1 metre depth.

Dang that's cold though! How about you take all the "hot air" expelled in the BT forums and blow it across the lake. I'm sure it'll be basking in the 70's in next to no time

Good luck and I hope it warms up, soon!!!!
2013-05-24 8:08 PM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Regular
Bloomington
Originally posted by peteweb55403

This for sure. We have already had 2 races in MN with OWS, and the swims occurred. 2 weeks is a lot of time to warm up. I would be amazed if the swim will be canceled.

The water is still cool in MN, but I was out in a similar size lake yesterday and while cold in the wet suit, very doable. They won't be cancelling the swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Temp and demotivation Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Max Water Temp for Wetsuit?

Started by strammer
Views: 938 Posts: 2

2004-08-23 10:00 AM tplauche

water temp avg 68-70 wetsuit??

Started by bisquick
Views: 1193 Posts: 4

2004-05-31 8:36 PM royj

Water Temp

Started by TriMom217
Views: 926 Posts: 12

2004-05-09 10:48 PM max

Water Temps for Wetsuits

Started by misolis
Views: 868 Posts: 4

2004-04-26 6:30 PM dhlundblad

water temp

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1502 Posts: 18

2004-04-02 2:23 PM puffin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?
date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?

date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : February 18, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a sinking swimmer, fear of water, going from 1:30 to 1:15, are fins helpful or hurtful, open water swimming tips and breathing and efficiency.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!