General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I beeing a drama queen for no reason? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-23 4:13 PM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Am I beeing a drama queen for no reason?
I am normally a big proponent of buying used, but in this case you have very specific needs and it sounds like you're in for a huge hassle if you push this with the shop. I would cut the losses- re-sell the frame and go shopping for a new bike. Maybe see if the shop will give you a certain % off retail on the new bike because of the huge misunderstanding.

2013-05-23 4:25 PM
in reply to: wbattaile

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Problem is that the shop doesn'r carry any brand he can fit me on (hence his recommendation to go with a used frame).
Thinking if I want to build it myself with cheap/used components (non DI2), just for the fun of it.
I have a spare set of wheels and saddle at home anyhow.
2013-05-23 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
powerTAP

There. I feel better.
2013-05-23 4:31 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Guess I was thinking in teh line of beer tab...
2013-05-23 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by timf79

Thinking if I want to build it myself with cheap/used components (non DI2), just for the fun of it.
I have a spare set of wheels and saddle at home anyhow.

This!!! As long as you know that frame geometry will work for you. Plus i'm sure you will learn a ton through the process.

I have thought about building up a bike but it's probably a bigger project time-wise than i'm prepared to tackle at the moment.
2013-05-23 4:38 PM
in reply to: wbattaile

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Originally posted by wbattaile
This!!! As long as you know that frame geometry will work for you. Plus i'm sure you will learn a ton through the process.

I have thought about building up a bike but it's probably a bigger project time-wise than i'm prepared to tackle at the moment.

Well, there is only one way to find if the frame works. Haha.
I am thinking a used component group, stem, wiring, pedals and handelbar should be doable for maybe $500.

From there on out I will probably give fitting myself a try, can't be that difficult.

This way I have a tri-bike until the DI2 is ready available.
I might revert back to my original plan on waiting to see my bonus at years end and then getting something really nice (If the bonus is nice).

2013-05-23 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

From there on out I will probably give fitting myself a try, can't be that difficult.

It isn't, but it can be time consuming, expensive, and take a lot of pain tolerance.

2013-05-23 4:59 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Originally posted by briderdt

It isn't, but it can be time consuming, expensive, and take a lot of pain tolerance.

Any tips on links for research?
How do I determine which lenght stem to get, and or handelbar?
2013-05-23 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Any tips on links for research?
How do I determine which lenght stem to get, and or handelbar?

you want to set up the stem height/aero bar length to where you have an open angle of 90-110 degrees at your elbow... typically.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
2013-05-23 5:20 PM

User image

Pro

A few weeks back I went to a LBS to ask about fitting and I explained what I am looking for in a Tri-bike.
DI2 with areo and horn shifting was a MST have.

The fitter recommended to get a used Cervelo P2C from ebay ...

the moment I read this far, the first thought that came into my head was- ugh. how's he gonna' route the Di2 cables on a Cervelo P2.

Not that the P2 isn't a wonderful bike, but having wires taped to your downtube is just- ugh. not right.

Sell the P2. Search for a slightly used Felt B10 on ebay and pay $3K for it. Or, look at some of the moderately priced new Di2 bikes, like the new, cool looking Orbea. I think a new TT bike with Di2 can be had for close to $5K.

Disclaimer - I'm the owner of a B10, and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it is to have Di2 with dual position shifting. Yes- you DO want this. I never ride my very nice carbon road bike anymore... as it 'only' has mechanical Dura Ace on it.
2013-05-23 5:27 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Originally posted by Clempson
you want to set up the stem height/aero bar length to where you have an open angle of 90-110 degrees at your elbow... typically.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

This fit calculator come up with a top tube lenght that no bike has:

Top Tube Range 67.5 - 69.5
Stem Length Range 8.0 - 10.0
Saddle-Bottom Bracket Position 82.3
Saddle-Pedal Position 99.5
Saddle-Ground Position 107.3
Cranklength 180.0
Aero Bar Size L
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Minimal 9.2
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Moderate 14.9
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Intense 17.4
Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Maximal 21.5
Pad-Ground Position Minimal 98.1
Pad-Ground Position Moderate 92.4
Pad-Ground Position Intense 89.9
Pad-Ground Position Maximal 85.8

2013-05-23 5:27 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Any tips on links for research? How do I determine which lenght stem to get, and or handelbar?

Lots of trial and (hopefully not a lot of) error. You can get a feel for tri bars fairly easily just by taking a short spin on them. Lots of people like the low "race bend" or straight extensions and narrow elbow pad placement. I've seen plenty of people who've gotten LOTS of upper body pain relief by goingfrom that to a more neutral wrist position (leegoocrap did this with some different extensions), less tension in the forearms and shoulders by using a "ski bend" bar and wider elbow placement. Sure, it's (slightly) less aero, but you're gonna have MUCH better power output when you're comfy 50 miles in than fighting misery. Best bet is to find a bar set-up that gives you loads of options for adjustability and uses the standard 22.2mm extension diameter (I think that's the right number).

But here's the deal: It's gonna only start there. I wrote a tri-bike fit short primer in my blog, but the basics are that you can't just pick stem length until you determine the rest of it. How high you can hold your head (neck flexibility issues) will determine how high (or low) your bars can be relative to your saddle, and then your saddle position will be determined by your peak power hip angle. Then you have the saddle height and set-back (or set-forward), and that (along with the top tube length) will give you the stem length you need based on your torso.

So you figure out your position from the front to the back, then the bike is adjusted back to front. Make sense?

The problem is figuring that stuff out by fixing one piece at a time on a bike you already have.

2013-05-23 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Clempson you want to set up the stem height/aero bar length to where you have an open angle of 90-110 degrees at your elbow... typically. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO
This fit calculator come up with a top tube lenght that no bike has: Top Tube Range 67.5 - 69.5 Stem Length Range 8.0 - 10.0 Saddle-Bottom Bracket Position 82.3 Saddle-Pedal Position 99.5 Saddle-Ground Position 107.3 Cranklength 180.0 Aero Bar Size L Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Minimal 9.2 Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Moderate 14.9 Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Intense 17.4 Saddle-Aero Bar Pad Drop Maximal 21.5 Pad-Ground Position Minimal 98.1 Pad-Ground Position Moderate 92.4 Pad-Ground Position Intense 89.9 Pad-Ground Position Maximal 85.8

GAH!!!! So much missing here and so many assumptions in coming up with those (scant) numbers that may not even apply to you...

2013-05-23 5:44 PM

Regular
Seal Beach
Ok, just coming back to this...
Why are you so set on DI2? I mean, it's great.. but a necessity? I've been racing for years on an old P3SL... I literally just pulled the trigger on the P5-six... and I'm only doing that because of kona.
2013-05-23 5:56 PM

Easy...you're not going to get what you want. You're beating yourself up about it. You're losing sleep over a bike. You have $1000 invested so far. You can sell it most likely for the same amount. It doesn't matter how you got here....move on for your own well being. Life's too short. Lesson learned. Done.
2013-05-23 6:19 PM
in reply to: cpzone

User image

Originally posted by cpzone

Easy...you're not going to get what you want. You're beating yourself up about it. You're losing sleep over a bike. You have $1000 invested so far. You can sell it most likely for the same amount. It doesn't matter how you got here....move on for your own well being. Life's too short. Lesson learned. Done.

This. You were given false expectations. There is no way you're going to meet those expecations if you continue on this route, so just start over.

2013-05-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: frozensurfer

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by frozensurfer

Ok, just coming back to this...
Why are you so set on DI2? I mean, it's great.. but a necessity? I've been racing for years on an old P3SL... I literally just pulled the trigger on the P5-six... and I'm only doing that because of kona.

yea i don't get the di2 craze. i've test ridden bikes with it and wasn't blown away. the biggest thing the sales rep kept going on about was how you could hold down the shifter to sweep the gears, but honestly how often do you do that while riding? i really didn't like the ultegra di2 since it had zero response in the shifters; didn't get a chance to test the dura ace, but apparently they added some to that group set since people complained about it.

my new bike runs SRAM and i much prefer it.
2013-05-23 7:22 PM

Regular
Seal Beach
Yeah, I may pull the DI2 off the P5 and put on a SRAM combo Red/Force/Rival... that's what I have on the SL and the wife has on her P3C.
2013-05-24 10:10 AM

User image

Everyone I've ever talked to that owns DI2 says it is ridiculously good and they would never go back... as well as every article I've ever read about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I beeing a drama queen for no reason? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

oh noes!!!

Started by orphious
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2010-09-10 8:02 AM bcart1991

Gear Shifting Drama--Please Help

Started by amazonscorch
Views: 1210 Posts: 16

2008-08-26 8:28 PM amazonscorch

noes plugs

Started by roxygirl
Views: 2328 Posts: 14

2008-05-30 2:11 AM intriathlete

Tri Drama

Started by sdbryant
Views: 1046 Posts: 10

2008-03-21 7:31 PM chirunner134

Am I worried for no reason??

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1095 Posts: 15

2006-08-19 9:04 AM willow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Reasons for triathlon training.