United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 11m 50s
Overall Rank = 715/1653
Age Group = W30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/47
Pre-race routine:

Had my coffee and granola bar. My husband called me from Afghanistan to wish me luck.
Event warmup:

Nothing
Swim
  • 49m 34s
  • 2310 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was an "M" shaped swim. The concept seemed simple, but actually swimming it was quite a challenge. I did well on the first straight line. Got hit in the face a few times. The water was so gross and murky. Made it to the first turn buoy, so far so good. After that I was a bit disorientated since swimmers were coming from all directions. They were 2 sets of "sausage buoys" we have to swim through in the middle of the "M" so I was sighting on the first set of those. After I got through the middle of the "M" and was on the last long straightaway I hadn't looked at my watch, but I knew I had been in the water for a long time. Wasn't exactly happy about this, but all could could do at the moment was just keep swimming. Suddenly I had my head up to sight and I got kicked HARD in the gut by a girl doing breast stroke. It knocked the wind out of me. I had to tread water to gather my composure again to swim and and get to the beach. Finally I made it the beach, the muck was so deep it was a struggle to walk through it to get to the swim exit and timing mat. I got out of the water feeling tired and beat up
What would you do differently?:

Not really sure, I felt this was the best I could do on this day
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

T1 was really trying to gather myself and prepare for this bike ride. I was really disorientated from that rough swim. WTC no longer requires us to wear a race belt with bib for the bike, so that was nice. Put on my cycling shoes, helmet, and nutrition and grabbed bike. My friend was cheering me on nearby. She was at the mount and was cheering me on and taking pictures as I was mounting my bike.

Nothing, I take my time in half irons
Bike
  • 2h 59m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was 1 big loop. The elevation profile on the race website was misleading. It was much hillier than I anticipated. In edition to that, it seemed like we couldn't get a break from the wind, almost as if the wind was shifting and on every turn there was a headwind. An hour into the bike the sun was out in full force and I hoped the sunscreen I put on before the swim would hold up for this ride. I had a small piece of masking tape on my top tube with the mile the aid stations were located at so I would know if I was good to drink a whole bottle or if it would be awhile until I could do a bottle exchange. I rode within myself and didn't hammer up the hills. The wind was really slowly me down and wearing on my legs. Lots of turns as well. Around mile 30 I saw the biggest snake I have ever seen outside of a zoo just hanging out on the side of the road watching us ride by. I was starting to get girlie cramps. Toward the end of the bike I was doubting I would make my personal goal of under 3 hours, the bike was just rough. Finally it ended

Nothing, I rode within myself the best I could on that day
Transition 2
  • 06m 29s
Comments:

T2 I took my time, I was so tired and the thought of running a half marathon at this point seemed so daunting. Exchanged the cycling shoes for socks and running shoes, and the helmet for a running hat. Put my run nutrition in my tri top, snapped the race belt on. Made a quick stop to the porta potty in. On my way out to the run I was looking all over for sunscreen volunteers. At every ironman branded race I have ever done, there are always sunscreen volunteers. Not at this one. A feeling of dread and regret came over me. I knew I was going to be badly sunburnt at the end of this, and I knew from experience not wearing sunscreen was going to suck any energy I had in the run. I didn't think to bring any sunscreen for transition because of my experience at all my other ironman branded races. My friend was cheering for me and I gave her a smile and wave. Thought I was ready for this run

Nothing, took my time on purpose
Run
  • 2h 12m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The run, if you can call it that, was absolutely brutal! It was so hot! I expected heat, I signed up for this race expecting the heat, but this was a different kind of heat! This was a 3 lap course. The first mile was nice, coming out of transition and the athlete village lots of cheering spectators and great mojo. At the start of mile 2 there was a huge hill, I managed to run up the whole thing, but my energy was absolutely zapped at the top of it. Then I realized I would have to go up this thing 2 more times. Made it to the aid station and walked through it since I was so hot and needed to cool off. After the aid station I started back running, but then started to cramp up. This was strange for me, if I am going to cramp it usually doesn't happen until about mile 9 or 10 and at that point I'm able to just suck it up. I started walking again for a few minutes in hopes that the cramps would work themselves out. They didn't, but I wanted this race to be over so I just picked up a slow jog. At the next aid station I dumped ice water on myself and filled my tri top and hat with ice. Picked up another slow jog and finally lap 1 was done, 2 more to go.

I was able to keep to good pace going through the athlete village again, the mojo from the crowd always does that to me. I was able to run until I got to the base of that giant hill. I made the decision to conserve whatever energy I had and walk up the hill. Lots of folks were walking up the hill at this point. I was eating some of my Margarita shot bloks every 20 minutes for the extra salt. I was cramping everywhere, calves, hamstrings, quads, sides of my abdomen, and the worse, those girlie cramps from Mother Nature's gift. I was in a pattern of running when I could walking when I had to. I was getting very overheated and dizzy, and I could already feel bad sunburn on my back and shoulders. At every aid station I was dumping cold water on myself and putting ice wherever I could. Was able to run through the athlete village again for the last time, and on to that giant hill for the last time. I was in survival mode at this point. People were dropping left and right. Lots of ambulances and people receiving medical aid. All my time goals were out the window, and my only goal now was to get to the finish line and receive my medal and not get taken away in an ambulance before that could happen. My first time really going into survival mode in a race. I promised myself I would not be upset about my finishing time, and I would be happy just to cross the finish line. Was chatting with a nice young man when my Garmin beeped for mile 10, I told him "come on we got this, only a 5k to go". He said "that's very sweet of you, but I am only on my second lap". After the aid station I really had to pee. Normally I would suck this up too and just go as soon as I get to this finish. I had 2.5 miles to go until the finish line. All my time goals were out the window, and thought I might as well be comfortable, so I went ahead and made that visit to the porta potty. I was able to run the last 2 miles a little more, it was almost over. Finally I made the turn to the finishing chute and was so relieved to see the finish line. More like happy I survived.

Not really sure. Wasn't hot like this at home so couldn't really train in that kind of heat
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade and had some shaved ice

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the heat

Event comments:

Despite the circumstance, you can't deny that WLC puts on a great race. My only issue was lack of sunscreen volunteers

Last updated: 2013-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:34 | 2310 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 39/47
Overall: 1088/1653
Performance: Below average
Suit: Epix tri kit
Course: M shaped swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:05 | 56 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/47
Overall: 841/1653
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: One big loop
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:12:34 | 13.1 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/47
Overall: 715/1653
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 loop course
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-23 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2013-05-24 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4754489

Veteran
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
Great job! I was surprised that there wasn't any sun screen volunteers also. I brought some just incase. They did have a tent set up with sun screen in transition but when I got off the bike I saw no volunteers in there. Athletes were doing it themselves. So I just used my own.
2013-05-25 5:50 AM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It was a warm day, glad I didn't see the snake or there would have been a wreck!

Congrats on your race!!

2013-05-25 12:31 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Great effort. Congratulations on your race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by golfraboni
Views: 2459 Posts: 4

2013-05-21 9:04 AM miamiamy

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by jenny1
Views: 2489 Posts: 7

2007-05-24 7:03 PM Tri3

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by The Mac
Views: 3305 Posts: 22

2007-05-24 4:59 PM panout

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by Tri3
Views: 2737 Posts: 6

2007-05-30 8:38 PM Mimir98

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by mrlow954
Views: 2635 Posts: 6

2007-05-29 8:19 AM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.