General Discussion Race Reports! » Mesa Iron Gear Sports Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mesa Iron Gear Sports Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mesa, Arizona
United States
TriFamily Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 9s
Overall Rank = 20/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race I went and biked the run course, and the bike course, just to check distances and scope it our since I am not from the Phoenix area I can only do it the night before. I stayed at a friend's house in Queen Creek. Nice to not have to get a hotel for once. I drove to the site fairly early. I got a good spot for my bike. Not on the end, but the position was good. I tried drinking some coffee because I was a bit...well, I haven't been eating enough fiber. I was hoping coffee would help, but it didn't. I ended up peeing a lot.
Event warmup:

I walked around quite a bit. It was getting warm fast. The kids race was first. The swim went by age groups starting the with oldest competitors in the Sprint and then going down.
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

Two people were no shows in front of me so I had a nice 30 second gap which was great. The last time I swam was one week ago, but I had higher expectations. The pool was chilly, it did not feel 80. I do prefer the 50M pools over the 25yrd, I do not do flip turns well when I have to go diagonal.

I passed a couple people, even though I was 30 seconds back. The girl who ended up winning overall was the only one who passed me. I hate my last name being so high in the alphabet. I usually end up starting in the front of my age group and I prefer to chase people down then be chased. I have no concept of how far back people are when I'm in front and it's easier to push hard when you can see people in your age group in front of you.
What would you do differently?:

Push harder, kick more. I really need to join a Masters Swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

From my bike computer I knew how long my bike time so I estimated my T1 and T2 based on how long my actual bike time was.

I still think I need to learn how to jump on my bike with the shoes already on the pedals. I'm a bit torn though cause running on the asphalt gets my feet all nasty and I don't think I want that in my shoes. I also struggled to get my bike off the rack. The rack is just an inch too low and I had to tilt my bike to get it under the bar.
Bike
  • 39m 2s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I could have pushed harder. Especially on the slight "hills" I think they were bridges, but I don't remember. The false flat was a bit of a killer and the was a headwind too which really slowed me down. The wind was not nearly as strong as in February, but it was enough to be very noticable.

Train more on hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

As soon as I got off the bike I knew something was wrong. My hip hurt as soon as my feet touched the ground. Got to the rack and my bike did not want to stay on the rack. It was frustrating. I threw my helmet and shoes into my bucket and I grabbed my device and took off...to the bike in/out! I was so mad at myself for going the wrong way!

Not sure. Maybe bring a ground rack so when the racks are too low I don't have to worry about it getting knocked over. I also should not get so flustered when that happens. I think that's why I ran the wrong way.
Run
  • 32m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Something was very wrong with my hip. I have no idea what happened, but It hurt and I struggled to lift my leg. I ran about 1/2 a mile then I had to walk. It hurt to bad to run. I walked about 400M then started to run again. After another 1/2 mile I walked. My device kept telling me my pace every 1/4 mile so it helped a bit when I was walking to get going again. I repeated this run walk until the finsh.

When I finished I was in a lot of pain, but I was fairly happy with my time considering how much I walked. My running has improved a lot and I think it showed, despite being hurt.

It was really tough watching people from my age group pass me though. I think I could have squeaked out a 3rd if I wasn't hurt, but that is only speculation.

I'm happy the course was accurate, distance wise, even though it was a bit confusing. The volunteers were in good positions to direct people.

I really don't know what happed to my hip. It was fine the day before and didn't hurt during the bike, so I don't know what I did. In the meantime I just need to improve my running overall. It's the only thing holding me back from getting better results.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over to the swim benches and sat down. My hip hurt so bad I did not want to go anywhere. After a while I got up and ate some watermelon, but I needed to sit right away. The drive home was going to suck. I waited for results and I got 4th in my age group. I love that they give awards to 5th. I feel more events should go to 5th place. Coming in 4th sucks, especially if you miss it by a hair, but if you come in 6th, then it isn't as big a deal because 6th is a ways down. My personal feeling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hip, and my general running. I have to improve my running, mainly my mental block when it comes to running.

Event comments:

Trifamily puts on such nice events. There were a lot more people at this race than a week ago. I don't know if they need to advertise more? Other events seem to sell out, like the Tempe International, or Espirit De She, but these don't, and they are cheaper, and very well run, are at nice venues, and I believe a lot more friendly and layed back. Maybe because they aren't sanctioned, I dunno, but they put on great races.

The only thing lacking is the post race activities. There are basically none. I don't know how they get people to set up booths but for me it isn't a deal breaker, just a nice extra.

Last updated: 2013-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 400 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 20/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Serpintine swim with competitors going off every 15 seconds.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:02 | 12.4 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 8/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was mostly flat. There was a false flat on the 2nd straight section and a few smallish hills on the back section. The 3rd straight section was a slight downhill.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:42 | 03.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 30/
Performance: Bad
Course: The course was confusing when I rode it the night before. In face I did in wrong the first time. It went by the first part of the bike course then on a local paved trail, and then a weird bonus turn around, I think to get the exact 5K, and then back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-23 4:58 PM

Subject: Mesa Iron Gear Sports Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mesa Iron Gear Sports Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

4th Annual Mesa Adult Sprint & OLYMPIC Triathlon & Duathlon & Youth Triathlon

Started by todds
Views: 1056 Posts: 1

2013-04-28 4:49 PM todds

Iron Gear Olympic Triathlon

Started by aargenz1
Views: 692 Posts: 1

2012-10-28 4:22 PM aargenz1

Mesa Iron Gear Sports Olympic Triathlon

Started by djhelbert
Views: 763 Posts: 1

2012-04-29 4:20 PM djhelbert

Iron Gear Sports Rio Salado Tri

Started by 101abp40
Views: 1303 Posts: 3

2011-07-20 7:47 PM 101abp40

Iron Gear Sports Rio Salado Tri

Started by 50andgettingfit
Views: 1240 Posts: 5

2011-05-08 10:45 PM 50andgettingfit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : September 10, 2007
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
The folks at RSS weren’t happy with the 4.75, so they updated the backpack and sent me a new one. They have continued engineering this already fantastic bag to make it even better.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
Until now, I have shied away from triathlon-specific gear bags. They were just too small for my needs. So imagine my skepticism the day the RRS Triathlon Backpack showed up on my door.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.