Overall Rank = 1203/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 177/
Swim
  • 46m 23s
  • 2112 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was a very slow swim. From the beginning, i was never comfortable. Based on my lack of time in the pool the last few months, not surprising. But I started out towards the back of my wave, passed some people, got passed a bit, and just tried to settle in. I had to breast stroke a few times to catch my breath, but just kept moving. The bouys seemed really far away every time i sighted, and i just figured i was moving very, very slow. As i approached the swim exit, i was happy to be done.
What would you do differently?:

actually train for the swim!!!
Transition 1
  • 08m 25s
Comments:

my first half ironman, and it was HOT! I took my time getting on my sleeves, calf compression, etc....ran in my shoes through the huge transition area. Just kind of moved slow i guess

not sure
Bike
  • 3h 41m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

way more hills than i thought, and the lack of heat back in Arkansas this spring really made it hard on me. The first 40 or so miles were pretty good....then i blew a tire. My sister in law got me a fancy CO2 pump with a trigger for Christmas, so i was going to get to try it out. I practiced with it several times at home, and had no problems. Of course, now, i go to load my first CO2, and hissssssssss....all of it leaks out. Down to one CO2 cartridge left. Go to put that one in...hisssssssss....same thing. Now i have no way to fill my tire. So i had to wait for the aid van to come along. It was around 20 min before they got to me. By that time, my hips locked up despite my attempts to keep them loose. They got my tube pumped up for me and i was on my way. Lost about 25 min alone on that flat. The last 15 miles were a grind in the heat and my hips were cramping like a beast! I struggled through and somehow made it back to transistion.

not waste 20-25 min cramping up with a flat tire.
Transition 2
  • 06m 43s
Comments:

slow....my hips were killing me and tried streching and had to use the porta potty. SLOW

go faster!
Run
  • 2h 53m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT.....HOT.........did i mention it was hot? With my legs locked up, and the fact that i was overheating, running this bad boy was not much of an option. It was a combined walk/jog effort. I just cambered through the 3 loop course, jogging when i could, walking when i had to. I dumped about 400 gallons of ice and ice water on myself at each aid station. I loved the support by the locals, out with hoses keeping the runners happy with a nice hose down every so often. By my third loop i was just counting down the miles and ready to be done, but happy to be finishing my first 70.3!!!!! I could have quit many times on the day, but there was no way after training and traveling that far that i was just going to quit on myself. So i pushed though. WHen i hit the final chute, i had to hold back some tears and push to the finish line! Crossed, and all the heat and pain went away!

what could i have done? It was a cold winter/spring here and i had no chance to train in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

drank a bunch of water, grabbed a bit of food, talked with some nice people in the tent, and called my wife. Drove back to the hotel, changed, got some dinner, and went to sleep at 8 and woke up 11 1/2 hours later!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat! and the flat tire. I'm going to try the Redman 1/2 in september with more swim work and summer heat training. Bring that time way down!

Last updated: 2013-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:23 | 2112 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:25
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:41:24 | 56 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:53:40 | 13.1 miles | 13m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-24 12:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by golfraboni
Views: 2462 Posts: 4

2013-05-21 9:04 AM miamiamy

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by jenny1
Views: 2494 Posts: 7

2007-05-24 7:03 PM Tri3

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by The Mac
Views: 3307 Posts: 22

2007-05-24 4:59 PM panout

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by Tri3
Views: 2742 Posts: 6

2007-05-30 8:38 PM Mimir98

Ironman 70.3 Florida

Started by mrlow954
Views: 2639 Posts: 6

2007-05-29 8:19 AM Marvarnett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.