Other Resources My Cup of Joe » insulating wall from the outside? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-24 7:43 AM

New user
Subject: insulating wall from the outside?
One of my exposed walls is fairly cold here in NYC during the winter. I'm thinking it'd be cost-effective (and cozier) if I can insulate it from the outside. The inside is basically sheet rock on top of lathe, so there are no studs to blow insulation between. I'm wondering if any one has ideas about any stucco / paint type applications that I can put on the outside (brick wal) that would help. I've heard ads for something called Rhino Shield, but I'm not too sure of it's claims. It's more of a hard coating and they claim some insulation, but I've contacted them to confirm if they have any objective claims or R ratings of their product (they have not responded)

Home Depot has this Thermasheath R-12 rating. Looks pretty good and their website says it can be covered with stucco. Going to strongly consider a product like this, but would love to hear if anyone has experience with other materials. Thanks

http://www.rmax.com/downloads/DataSheets/Thermasheath3.pdf

2013-05-24 8:10 AM
in reply to: ried0428

User image

Expert
Central Mass
Subject: RE: insulating wall from the outside?
It's highly unlikely that you don't have studs in the wall. If you didn't, it wouldn't stand up. There has to be some kind of structure. And gyp board over lathe would be very odd! Usually when plaster is taken down, the lathe comes down with it. If there are no studs, you can't do anything but tear the wall down and rebuild it correctly.

What would be best would be a continuous insulation system. Take down the exterior cladding. Add insulation and a track system. Add new exterior cladding.

[img]http://www.knightwallsystems.com/uploads/images/Gallery/ci-system/Dow-Knight%20CI-System%202.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.knightwallsystems.com/uploads/images/inset/Marketing%20CI-SidingRail%20inset_0730.png[/img]
2013-05-24 9:20 AM
in reply to: scorpio516

New user
thanks...I thought the brick wall on the outside was providing the structure...If there are studs, I'm pretty sure they're not 2x4's. If they are 2x4's I'd be happy just to blow some insulation in there....
2013-05-24 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
If there is lathe, there are normally studs that hold the lathe, which then usually has plaster on it instead of drywall. Drywall is usually attached directly to studs. Is it a really old brick building with very deep wind wells. Some old buildings are only brick for the exterior wall and have no framing, but you are talking like 1880's type of buildings.as we are restoring on our "square" in our small town and finding out that the brick is not the greatest of quality. If that is the case, I really don't know a good way other than to rip out what you have for interior and put up new studs and insulate the new walls that you put up.
2013-05-26 2:18 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

It might be best to cut a little area of drywall out of the inside and see what you have behind there. There could be a couple different scenarios.

You could have plaster attached right to the inside of the masonry wall (old apartment buildings have this sometimes)

You could have one by material anchored to the inside of the masonry wall, then lathes attached to the one by material, then plaster attached to the lathe....maybe someone drywalled right over the plaster and lathes?

You could have a framed wood wall on the inside of the masonry wall, then drywall, or plaster, etc. or combination of them.

If you have the first example, your options are more scarce.

If you have the second or third option you have a couple more options, one of them being blowing in some insulation in each cavity. If you do that though you might want to cut a hole at the top and bottom of one cavity, drop something down from the top and see if it comes out the bottom...this will tell you if you have blocking horizontally between studs....if you do then it will make it harder to insulate each cavity.

Back to your outside insulating question. I am not sure about your stucco idea but I do know you could anchor wood "studs" to the masonry wall, insulate with rigid insulation between each "stud" you attach to the masonry wall, and then install various types of siding to the outside.

2013-05-26 6:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Different part of the world from you so don't know if you have this option, but alot of people with brick houses here are going with a polystyrene style of external cladding which is then being rendered over. It does provide some insulation (both temperature and noise) however I'm unsure if it would be as effective as internal wall style.
My brother in law did this on his double storey 6 bedroom house, went about 30mm thickness all over and cost about $20K for installation and rendering including colour in the render. (Wages were around $30 / hr as a comparison)

2013-05-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: cottoneyes

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Google EIFS and see if there is a local contractor that can install it for you.

Not sure if i understand the location properly, but Exterior Insulation Finishing Systems are becoming more popular as they are cheaper than masonry, and keep a high r value. Basically stucco on insulation.

They are also popular on top of older building on old wall systems including brick.

How you would finish it off at the edges or carry it through is something you can look at with a contractor.

Good luck dude.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » insulating wall from the outside? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

insulating windows, need advice

Started by vrljc
Views: 842 Posts: 3

2009-01-25 1:52 AM BodyCheck

Thread about N9thing: 99 pages of Naught on the Wall Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118

Started by FishrCutB8
Views: 23132 Posts: 2941

2007-10-03 1:52 PM crowny2

The Walls Are Growing Eyes Again

Started by Spokes
Views: 485 Posts: 3

2007-03-26 9:47 AM spokes

Time for more wall of fame shots.... indulge

Started by regimom
Views: 526 Posts: 2

2007-03-05 4:30 AM Cando

Filling large hole in interior wall

Started by auto208562
Views: 2972 Posts: 18

2006-02-23 12:05 PM tsmith
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Most episodes start with the tearing, giving-way sensation. This is localized about 1-2 cm inside the 10th rib on the side. How I might get a long term solution to this problem?

date : April 5, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on river swims, speedsuits, road bike at IMKY, FOP IM pointers, saddle positioning, run8/walk2 method, treadmill to outside running, heelstriking and HRM on race day.
date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.

date : July 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
Upon releasing me from the ER, the cardiologists said that I have an athlete's heart - enlarged chambers and thickening of the walls. Should I be concerned?