General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim progress/update Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-24 7:59 AM

Malvern, PA
Subject: swim progress/update
Those who regularly read the forums know I am not a natural swimmer and have been working to improve.

I did my first sprint of the year last weekend, and for the 500m distance my time was 9:44 for a 1:57/100Y pace. Last year's time was about 12:30 so that's a decent improvement.

I feel like I have gone from a terrible swimmer to one who is approaching MOP range.

Of course I want to keep improving. Not sure if the best strategy is to keep working out in the pool as I have been doing....or if it's time to sign up for my local masters program?

Comments/suggestions??

2013-05-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: datlas

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: swim progress/update
ps I just reread my posting and I stated the swim was 500m, it was really 500Y.
2013-05-24 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Congratulations.  That's a solid improvement for one year.  Nice:)

Masters will only help.  Having a coach there to give you feedback, even if it's just the occasional stroke correction tip here and there (sometimes Masters coaches are spread pretty thin), can help a lot.  I don't know what your group is like, but ours is pretty solid; workouts range from 2800-3500/hour.  What's your yardage like now? Your endurance?

Another thing to think about: you're "in season" now.  How many times a week have you been swimming?  How many times a week do you want to continue swimming in season?  Are the returns that you are going to get out of increasing days in the water or joining a Masters program going to give you the biggest ROI for your valuable time? 

It might be that "in season" you would get a better ROI focusing on your bike or run, and wait to join a Masters group in the off season. 

I think I just thoroughly muddies the waters, so I'll step back now and see what others have to say;) Good luck!

2013-05-24 10:21 AM

User image

Franklin, TN
That is a ton of improvement. Congratulations!

I think you would enjoy a masters program...I just started one in January and its a lot of fun. You'll get "seeded" into swim lanes with people of same ability/speed so don't worry about that. I like the program because a) I tend to do more volume with the group b) the comraderie is nice and c) you can pick up new skills/drills/better habits working with a program. I enjoy swimming on my own too (especially if I'm working on a technique fix). but the yards/meters seem to fly by when I'm swimming with a group.
2013-05-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: switch

Malvern, PA
Thanks for the reply. I do think I would benefit from a masters swim group, if only to force me to swim more.

I have been swimming roughly 3 times/week. Yardage is pretty low, typically 1000-2000m. I often give up after 30-40 minutes simply because of boredom rather than being tired.

I think my main concerns about a masters group are:

1. I wonder if I am still too slow.
2. I am only interested in OWS/Tri training, so if they are working on backstroke/butterfly/etc. I have no interest in that.

2013-05-24 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by datlas Thanks for the reply. I do think I would benefit from a masters swim group, if only to force me to swim more. I have been swimming roughly 3 times/week. Yardage is pretty low, typically 1000-2000m. I often give up after 30-40 minutes simply because of boredom rather than being tired. I think my main concerns about a masters group are: 1. I wonder if I am still too slow. 2. I am only interested in OWS/Tri training, so if they are working on backstroke/butterfly/etc. I have no interest in that.

You are not too slow.  They'll get you into a lane that's just right for you, and we definitely have swimmers who swim similar splits in our group.

Nobody's gonna make you do butterfly, promise:)  That being said, a little back or breast can help you, even if you're only goal is to become a better swimmer for tris. They help you learn to feel the water and can be nice ways to train complimentary muscles and take a little break/stretch from free.  I really like back now, and it give a great stretch after longer free sets. At our group the coach likes it if you do sets of another stroke, but the beauty of Masters is that nobody has to do anything--Masters' option:

Most Masters groups will let you try a week for free to see if it's a good fit.  Maybe that is an option?

2013-05-24 10:37 AM

User image

Franklin, TN
You're not too slow. We have IM participants, at least one Kona qualifier and beginners in our group...as mentioned before, you'll get seeded according to your current ability. Practice set yardages/repeats and interval times are different for each swim lane based on ability.

My particular group is tri-oriented so we are pretty much freestyle-only. We might throw in a backstroke here or there for a kick set but its mainly freestyle and tri-specific skill work (sighting, bilateral breathing, etc..).

Personally, I like having the set times to go swim (in season) or else I might lay off too much in order to work on my bike/run fitness. I find that I need to hit the pool at least 3 times a week to maintain swim fitness so having the set times of a masters program helps me in that regard.
2013-05-24 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
No one should make you do other strokes but swimming other strokes especially backstroke are good for developing your feel for the water (body awareness). Be careful about how you express that option as you may get labeled as a triathlete with a bad attitude.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim progress/update Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Progress & Friend Issue

Started by dinae
Views: 633 Posts: 7

2007-05-08 10:59 AM McFuzz

swim - making progress, but ...

Started by enders_shadow
Views: 721 Posts: 6

2007-05-04 9:26 AM Tri-ing at 45

Marking progress - or lack of progress

Started by KirkD
Views: 1098 Posts: 6

2006-11-11 4:04 PM KirkD

Whats the best way to measure swim progress?

Started by JAGMAN13
Views: 2656 Posts: 24

2005-09-28 8:11 PM Joe M

Swimming progress....?

Started by Dtraining
Views: 555 Posts: 6

2005-06-21 10:51 AM Micawber
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...