Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Talk me out of this quick!!!!!!!! Puppies!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-24 10:58 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Talk me out of this quick!!!!!!!! Puppies!!!!

I "Liked" the local animal shelter on FB and now I get all the posts of the dogs that are available. Today I see this photo. You may remember we just adopted a puppy this winter. He is 6 months and doing AMAZING. I can't say enough about the wonderful job the trainer did with him. He is awesome and has completely bonded with my family. So tell me to leave well enough alone and remind me of all the bad things that can happen with 2 dogs, puppies especially, because I am starting to tell myself things like "another dog would give Mickey someone to play with".

Must resist a visit to the animal shelter today........

2013-05-24 11:02 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Talk me out of this quick!!!!!!!! Puppies!!!!
i'm a terrible person for this request. getting a second dog was one of the best things ever done for my older dog, i swear we've added years to his life by giving him a baby sister to torment.

taking care of 2 dogs isn't much more work than one, but it is twice as expensive - also if you travel for work/visit friends and family a lot - people welcome one dog, but not usually 2. that's the big negative for us...
2013-05-24 11:05 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm at 4 dogs, down from my all-time high of 8. 

Get one.

2013-05-24 11:06 AM

User image

Master

Hmmmm....

Does this shelter puppy turned 100#+ beast help? Wink

(20130517_134716-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20130517_134716-1.jpg (60KB - 14 downloads)
2013-05-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by mehaner i'm a terrible person for this request. getting a second dog was one of the best things ever done for my older dog, i swear we've added years to his life by giving him a baby sister to torment. taking care of 2 dogs isn't much more work than one, but it is twice as expensive - also if you travel for work/visit friends and family a lot - people welcome one dog, but not usually 2. that's the big negative for us...

Yes, this is a good start. We are going on vacation in June and we would have to kennel 2 dogs. I would hate to kennel a puppy so close to the time we bring him home.

Although, I could probably get my niece to puppy sit for me......

Edited by trigal38 2013-05-24 11:07 AM
2013-05-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by switch

Get one.

BWA HA HA - you are the wrong person to ask!!

2013-05-24 11:09 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Bronze member
Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Hmmmm....

Does this shelter puppy turned 100#+ beast help? Wink

Awe, he is too cute to talk me out of anything!

2013-05-24 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by trigal38

Get one.

mmmmmmmm...puppy breath. Mmmm...soft little round puppy belly.
2013-05-24 11:14 AM

User image

Queen BTich

We have 3. Would rather 2, but when we got #2, it turned our very shy 5 year old rescue into a new dog. They play. They LOVE each other. Really love each other, lay togehter, cuddle, protect each other.

Having a second is much better for the first dog. 

We travel a lot. It is harder when you have more than one, but it's easier to get someone to come housesit, and cheaper than putting them in a kennel. Or split them up for a couple days between people. But, I find its easier to get someone to check on them 2-3x a day or to spend the night. Dog people usually don't mind!

2013-05-24 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
They are too cute!!!! How can you resist!

Okay, first - take the shelter's news feed off your Facebook. Still like them but don't get the updates!! That is WAY too dangerous!!

Second, maybe you can wait until after your vacation ... you have a puppy (and kids, right?) - and see if you still feel the same when you get back. I know they need good homes but two puppies does seem like a bit of insanity. I agree with Mehaner about having two dogs - but having two young dogs is different than one much older one who exhibit the good behaviours you've set up in the house and can do some of the help of training the new puppy.
2013-05-24 11:32 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by juniperjen They are too cute!!!! How can you resist! Okay, first - take the shelter's news feed off your Facebook. Still like them but don't get the updates!! That is WAY too dangerous!! Second, maybe you can wait until after your vacation ... you have a puppy (and kids, right?) - and see if you still feel the same when you get back. I know they need good homes but two puppies does seem like a bit of insanity. I agree with Mehaner about having two dogs - but having two young dogs is different than one much older one who exhibit the good behaviours you've set up in the house and can do some of the help of training the new puppy.

This ^^^ the voice of reason. Thank you.

Yet still the kids and I are going, "just to look".

2013-05-24 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by juniperjen They are too cute!!!! How can you resist! Okay, first - take the shelter's news feed off your Facebook. Still like them but don't get the updates!! That is WAY too dangerous!! Second, maybe you can wait until after your vacation ... you have a puppy (and kids, right?) - and see if you still feel the same when you get back. I know they need good homes but two puppies does seem like a bit of insanity. I agree with Mehaner about having two dogs - but having two young dogs is different than one much older one who exhibit the good behaviours you've set up in the house and can do some of the help of training the new puppy.

there is no such thing as just to look! that's how we ended up with our puppy!!!
2013-05-24 11:39 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Yeah, OK.  Post pics of your new baby when you get back;)

2013-05-24 11:40 AM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Get one.

mmmmmmmm...puppy breath. Mmmm...soft little round puppy belly.

You forgot soft puppy snuggles and sweet little puppy kisses..
2013-05-24 11:41 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Yeah, OK.  Post pics of your new baby when you get back

x3 (missed an earlier post with my x2).. if you are going "just to look", you are doomed. Have you thought of a name yet?

Edited by hgoudreau 2013-05-24 12:01 PM
2013-05-24 11:43 AM
in reply to: hgoudreau

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by hgoudreau

Yeah, OK.  Post pics of your new baby when you get back;)

x2.. if you are going "just to look", you are doomed. Have you thought of a name yet?

Haha...who knows, maybe two new names?  There are an awful lotta cute little snuggle bears there.

2013-05-24 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
You're done for.   Cool  Resistance if futile; therefore it's best to just give in.....   Wink
2013-05-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Bronze member

Ha ha ha, we are back empty handed. The kids loved every single puppy but the level headed side of me watched from behind. We can only get a male as the neighbors dog across the street is a female and she does not like other female dogs. The males were really aggressive with one another and howling. Not little cute puppy yipes but howls like a wolf. Every dog behavior is magnified x 10 at the shelter but it was enough to at least make me come home and read about the breed: Norwegian Elkhounds. The attendant said they will run and never stay home and grow really big like a horse. Of course that just got my son even more excited because his ultimate dream is a having a horse.

And there is that little factor of checking with my husband. Although I've learned through the years these things go much better if I just surprise him Wink.

2013-05-24 12:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
i have 3 dogs, 3 cats, and 3 horses. and we have a foster mut in the house right now. yeah...pretty much a petting zoo over here.

ever consider fostering? not only do you get another pet for a while, but you get a save one each time you do it. it's a pretty cool feeling. some shelters have programs where you only foster for a few weeks until they arrange for a permenant home. no way my wife could do the fostering where you have to go out and find a home for the animal yourself. we'd be on one of those animal horder shows if that was the case.
2013-05-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: antlimon166

User image

Champion
PA
I love animals so I run a freakin zoo at my house. Dogs, cats, birds and fish.. we have em all. Of all the animals, dogs have changed my outlook on life the most. Before dogs I always looked out for #1. Now, as I stroll through my backyard I am looking out for #2.
2013-05-24 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Ha ha ha, we are back empty handed. The kids loved every single puppy but the level headed side of me watched from behind. We can only get a male as the neighbors dog across the street is a female and she does not like other female dogs. The males were really aggressive with one another and howling. Not little cute puppy yipes but howls like a wolf. Every dog behavior is magnified x 10 at the shelter but it was enough to at least make me come home and read about the breed: Norwegian Elkhounds. The attendant said they will run and never stay home and grow really big like a horse. Of course that just got my son even more excited because his ultimate dream is a having a horse.

And there is that little factor of checking with my husband. Although I've learned through the years these things go much better if I just surprise him Wink.

Wow. I'm impressed. You are a strong, strong woman.

2013-05-24 1:24 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Pector55 I love animals so I run a freakin zoo at my house. Dogs, cats, birds and fish.. we have em all. Of all the animals, dogs have changed my outlook on life the most. Before dogs I always looked out for #1. Now, as I stroll through my backyard I am looking out for #2.

LOL!  :D

2013-05-24 5:18 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Couldn't resist posting this one... he'll be joining our family in a few weeks.  We already have two older dogs (one Newfoundland, and one Bernese mountain dog -- same as the pup)

trigal -- you may have talked yourself out of this litter, but the seeds have been planted.  We eagerly await the photos of your inevitable new arrival.  Smile

(Puppy Berner.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Puppy Berner.jpg (120KB - 10 downloads)
2013-05-24 6:16 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Hoos

Couldn't resist posting this one... he'll be joining our family in a few weeks.  We already have two older dogs (one Newfoundland, and one Bernese mountain dog -- same as the pup)

trigal -- you may have talked yourself out of this litter, but the seeds have been planted.  We eagerly await the photos of your inevitable new arrival.  Smile

You have 2 of my favorite breeds! I'm in Florida, so I don't have either, but man I loved my Newfies!
2013-05-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Calgary, AB
Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by Hoos

You have 2 of my favorite breeds! I'm in Florida, so I don't have either, but man I loved my Newfies!

Hey, we used to live in Texas with our big fuzzy bears.  Not the ideal climate but they adapted OK... the Berners loved to dig Berner-sized holes in the ground, so they could lie down in the cool dirt.

That said -- they're much better suited for our 7 months of snow... Smile

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Talk me out of this quick!!!!!!!! Puppies!!!! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Talk to me about Earn outs BT

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 894 Posts: 3

2011-02-25 3:27 PM Marvarnett

Chrysler Sr. Debtor hold-outs cave

Started by Force
Views: 2105 Posts: 22

2009-05-09 11:16 AM crusevegas

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

Started by BigDH
Views: 1312 Posts: 5

2009-02-02 8:55 PM Medusa_Ann

ROLLER GIRL TRY OUTS!!!

Started by autumn
Views: 1031 Posts: 18

2007-06-26 5:03 PM autumn

My new puppy (almost)

Started by Zilla
Views: 1225 Posts: 17

2005-04-07 3:06 AM Zilla
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : February 5, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 3
So what is the best way to lose weight quickly? Do you simply "starve yourself” by eating as little as possible? The answer depends on your long-term goals.
date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout