General Discussion Race Reports! » Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Angola, Indiana
United States
TRI FORT Triathletes
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 48s
Overall Rank = 55/70
Age Group = F 0-55
Age Group Rank = 4/10
Pre-race routine:

Drove up in the morn with my friend Barb. Ate oatmeal at home and a part of a bagel and banana on the way. Barb is a crazy gal and she makes me laugh, so I was very relaxed getting there.
Event warmup:

Normal stuff. It was great seeing my friend, Dirk and chatting with some folks. Barb and I took our bikes for a quick spin and I hit the bathroom a couple times. Wanted to get a pre-race swim in, but couldn't find the time to get down the long stairs into the water and back again. In reading Dirk's race report, he did that during the pre-race meeting which was smart. I did a quick jump in the water as the RD was calling the guys wave to line up.
Swim
  • 27m 37s
  • 1300 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

After about 4 minutes in the water there wasn't a soul around and my brain was telling me I had no reason to be racing. I've never been that far back in the swim and it was so discouraging. There were only 10 women overall and I just had to tell myself that at least I was being active and that it didn't matter if I was last. The internal battle raged for about 10 minutes and then I prayed that my attitude would change. It did and I enjoyed the rest of the swim, except at the shallow parts where I hadn't checked the course enough to know there were sharp rocks ,so running was hazardous. Sighting was a breeze as the water was clear and I could see the rope for the most part which connected the large orange bouys. I exited the swim at the same time as another lady although I never saw her or felt her other than when we both stood up to run out.
What would you do differently?:

Check out the swim course thereby knowing the best way around the rocky parts. Be prepared mentally to be one of the last out of the water and just deal with it. I wasted energy on beating myself up over my inadequacies.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Normal wetsuit stuck on heel.

Look at cutting more length off the bottom of the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

AG rank was a tie for 3rd - having the EXACT same bike split as Barb which is funny to me. The last race we did together was a HIM and I caught her early on the bike but I couldn't today as she was ahead of me by 3 1/2 minutes out of T1. I felt fine on the bike - eating periodically and drinking e-fuel and water. Not a single soul passed me, but I passed by some folks doing the sprint and then some guys out on the oly course. Saw Barb at one point and told her I was coming to get her. Saw Dirk in 4th place on the bike as he was heading back and did a shout-out to him. I knew he wanted a podium spot so I prayed he'd make up some time on the run. I wasn't as confident about my bike fitness as I was this time last year so I wasn't sure what to expect. Overall I was pleased

My pace put me into the 19s per mile for the first time in all the Oly's I've done so I've nothing to complain about. I know I can get in the 20s but need more training time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I don't know why, but I sat down to put on my running shoes. I never do that. Weird. Also, I made a rookie mistake and started to run a few steps then remembered I didn't have my race belt. Duh.

Think through the steps of transition as I'm finishing up the bike. I just mentally had a brain fart on this one.
Run
  • 1h 04m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great the whole run. Really - that was the most enjoyable run I've ever had in a tri. I kept cool with some ice down my sports bra as there's one section of the course that's open sky and the sun was blazing at that time. After my marathon run a few weeks before where I was feeling awful, this was a pleasant change. I never saw Dirk or Barb so we must have passed on those sections where the trail went around the other. I always forget to look at my watch but realized with a couple miles to go that this could be a PR if I could keep it up. I was passed by a couple guys but I chased down one girl and a couple guys so I was feeling pretty good. The oranges I'd grabbed in T2 tasted awesome.

Nothing. Totally enjoyable to me and I don't care if it seems I wasn't racing. I was, but I knew I didn't want to feel crappy like I did at my last race.
Post race
Warm down:

Poured a bottle of water over my head. Hugged Dirk and Barb. Both had podiumed so I was in the presence of greatness. Chatted a while, took pictures, ate a cookie, got my first place plaque. Since there were only 10 women overall I used the total of us for the stats here, but there was another lady 50-54 so I was 1 out of 2 in my AG and therefore got a 1st place plaque.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My desire to enjoy the experience and not finish feeling like crap. Also, my swim will always be a limiting factor. I missed being 3rd overall by a little over 2 minutes and that was all in the swim. Oh well, for being the oldest lady there, I was happy.

Event comments:

This is a great season-start race at a beautiful state park. They give you a really nice pint glass in your goody bag. The AG plaques are very nice. The course is well marked and volunteers helpful. The weather this year was perfect.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:37 | 1300 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 66/70
Performance: Below average
Suit: Rocket Science Sports sleeveless long
Course: New course this year - triangular but A LOT of it in shallow water. We did 2 loops. Although this is supposed to be a 1640 swim there's no way it was based on what I know my swim time should be. My guess is it's about 300-350 yards short.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:28 | 24.85 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 44/70
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: On country roads outside the state park. Generally out and back with rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:04:47 | 06.21 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 58/70
Performance: Good
Course: On the beautiful trails within the park - some dirt, some grass. Generally an out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-24 1:16 PM

User image

Subject: Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-05-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4755912

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course
Nice race with a good attitude. This was my first race with a Garmin 910XT. It had the swim leg at 1461 yards, including getting from the lake to the transition area.
2013-06-03 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4755912

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course

You know I loved seeing you there!!!  And, now, to read that you were praying for me while I was out on the course seems to point toward why I was able to podium.  I wasn't feeling like I was in podium form all day for my race and seeing and hearing  you on the bike gave me a jolt back into the race.  You inspire me so!!

Your race was just as good as any podium I have had too.  You don't have to race every time and sometimes it does a body good to just enjoy the experience.  I think you were able to do both at this race.  You may not have hit the swim like you had intended  from the gun but the rest of your race sounds great. 

Getting0 your bike split up to 19MPH for the first time should make you feel really happy. 

But what I am most impressed with is your run split.  All of the run volume you have been getting to get the marathon and Huff paid off in your ability to run this race and enjoy it while still posting a fast time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pokagon Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by DirkP
Views: 1460 Posts: 3

2013-05-24 1:16 PM nickster

Started by bswcpa
Views: 1813 Posts: 8

2012-06-03 6:21 PM jgerbodegrant

Started by nickster
Views: 1393 Posts: 2

2012-05-20 8:55 PM DirkP

Started by DirkP
Views: 1908 Posts: 9

2012-05-21 9:55 AM bswcpa

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2167 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.