General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vitamix blender vs Breville Juicer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-24 5:50 PM

Subject: Vitamix blender vs Breville Juicer
I'm a recent Vegan convert from a on/off vegetarian diet over the last few years. I hav been influenced by Rich Roll and Scott Jurek and was wondering if I could get some advice on a blender or juicer from my fellow BTer's. I own a Breville Juicer and use it sparingly now. I keep reading and hearing that the juicer is not as good as the Vitamix Blender b/c I am not getting the plump from the things I juice, just the liquid.
Please help me out? Vitamix Blender or a new Breville Juicer!

2013-05-24 10:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Subject: RE: Vitamix blender vs Breville Juicer

Double post.....

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-05-24 10:16 PM
2013-05-24 10:15 PM
in reply to: cdamountaineer

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

They really are two different appliances. The Breville is a juicer where the Vitamix is a blender. With either you are taking in fresh fruits and vegetables, you will benefit!!!

The main differences are with the Vitamix blender you have the fiber with your juice making your drink much thicker, but also in my opinion more filling. A juicer is good if you are doing a fast and you want your body to rest from digestion for a period. Some say you need to be careful with a juicer because you can be taking in a ton of (natural) sugar without the fiber to help your body deal with it.

Personally I would love to own both. If I could only choose one I would get a Vitamix. Smile

HERE is a really good Blending vs Juicing Youtube video comparison

2013-05-25 6:36 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

After watching the video:

#1 I guess I did not know what I was talking about with digestion;

#2 I would be happier with having just your juicer!!! Now i REALLY want a juicer too!!  

And good for you on eating plant based- I'm doing the same thing. LOVE Rich Roll's podcast. There are some great threads with advice/ encouragement in this forum.

2013-05-25 7:32 AM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Regular
Texas
I have both a juicer and Vitamix blender and love both. That said, I don't know how I could live without my Vitamix. I use it at least once daily. I was reluctant to drop the cash on it, but haven't regretted it for one second. For us plant-based eaters, I think it's a must.
2013-05-25 10:20 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Personally I juice my thicker veggies (ie. asparagus peppers beets cucumbers carrots) and blend leafy greens and all fruits.

At first I juiced everything and I would get such a insulin spike reaction as if I just ate a bunch of sugar, and then a crash. Now it's nice and even

2013-05-26 8:13 AM
in reply to: peteweb55403

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I think the above advice is great if you have both, or even for what to do with a juicer (watch the sugar)

I made a smoothy this morning with spinach, a beet, blackberries, flaxseeds and a banana- awesome good and more energy than 3 cups of coffee. I add ice and some water. The guy in the video said not to add water or you water down your nutrients but what difference does it make as long as you drink it all? I dont want my smoothy toooooo thick.

2013-05-26 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Check out the Ninja 1500watt. My mother in law has the Vitamix. I don't see a big difference in the two.
2013-05-29 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
Invest in the Vitamix and you won't be sorry. We've had ours for 5 years and its going strong. This morning my smoothie was coconut milk, coconut water, two fresh kale leaves, one med raw beet (quartered), one whole, peeled orange, 1/2 banana and a scoop of Rich's Jai Repair protein powder. It was awesome and the Vitamix processed everything without trouble - no chunks or bits either.

It's the one appliance (along with our coffee maker) that we use almost every day, for soups, smoothies, etc.
2013-05-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: DiOnMaui

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by DiOnMaui Invest in the Vitamix and you won't be sorry. We've had ours for 5 years and its going strong. This morning my smoothie was coconut milk, coconut water, two fresh kale leaves, one med raw beet (quartered), one whole, peeled orange, 1/2 banana and a scoop of Rich's Jai Repair protein powder. It was awesome and the Vitamix processed everything without trouble - no chunks or bits either. It's the one appliance (along with our coffee maker) that we use almost every day, for soups, smoothies, etc.

THIS ^^^ sounds great!! Trying!

2013-05-30 11:30 AM

Regular
Seal Beach
I've been plant powered for a long time... and loving it.

I have a vitamix, and a juicer. As mentioned above, I too will juice the thicker veggies, then throw everything in a blender and blend up kale and spinach. A lot of times, I'll just chuck everything in the vitamix and let 'er rip. It all depends on my mood and the amount of time at hand.

I've got a killer raw oatmeal recipe that the vitamix tackles quite nicely

2013-06-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: frozensurfer

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Sort of late to the thread but oh well. We started our health odyssey by buying a Breville juicer. It works great and makes amazing juices. But for us it was too time and labor intensive to use as the mainstay of our health improvement method. So six months later we bought a Blendtech blender. Oh my goodness I can't believe how much money we spent on those two monsters. But having both of them makes it soooo much easier to work our method. We do our best to follow the Eat To Live plan by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's a great plan that generates great results, if you stay on it. I couldn't imagine being able to follow ETL or anything like it, without at least a high powered blender. We love our Blendtech. The programmed cycles allow you to "push it and forget it" until it stops and then your creation is ready. Great machine. But if I could only afford one it would be a high powered blender. Cheers!
2014-01-29 12:46 PM

, California
Hey, I'm also a bit late on this post, but there is really a lot of information that you're missing!

Between the Breville Juicer and the Vitamix you have VERY high RPM (Revolutions per Minute) this is actually damaging for veggies—your #1 nutrient source.

If you're serious about your health, which I can tell that you are, you will want to research higher quality juicers. The Vitamix is actually not a juicer, it is a blender. A juicer by definition is a machine that will make you juice and will separate out the pulp. Juicers are superior to blenders because of several reasons:

1) You can consume more veggies because you will not get full on just the fiber.
2) It tastes WAY better than from a blender which makes veggies and fruits together come out extremely pulpy, thick and not very tasty.
3) It is easier on your stomach. The very high amount of skin and other high-fiber substances from the skin and outer coating of veggies and fruits can be hard on your stomach to digest. However, with a juicer you still get the nutrition from the JUICE which has the vast majority of the nutrients.

The Breville is a juicer but it is a Centrifugal Style juicer which is the juicer that kills a lot of the nutrition in the juice by spinning really fast (over 10,000 RPM). This actually generates heat and does damage to veggies and alot gives you very little juice out of leafy greens compared to a good juicer.

Here is a fast guide to great juicers (which you can get for even less than the Breville, if you don't mind having a manual juicer.

1) Lexen Manual Juicer $35
2) Omega 8004 Electric Single-Auger juicer: $230 (This style juicer is the best for making vegetable juices. It will do so many times better than the Breville, keeping more nutrition and giving you more juice. Actually you will save money in the long run because you will be saving money by buying less produce. This machine spins at 80 RPM!!! That's infinitely slower than the Breville and so doesn't damage the vegetables! (There are many more models like this)

Those are 2 of the less expensive ones for a good juicer but there are so many more, it all depends on your preference and the type of produce you will be juicing. But the Breville is not recommended to juice primarily veggies as it does eliminate a lot of the nutrition.

Source: I have a Juicer website and have done a lot of research on juices. I've studied the original juicers such as Jay Kordich and have read Harvard and Stanford studies on juicing.
2021-04-22 10:47 AM

Eversince we are using Vitamix, we don't encountered any problem with it.. I use it at least once daily. I haven't regretted it for one second. I think this one is better
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vitamix blender vs Breville Juicer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Vitamix Pages: 1 2

Started by erin116
Views: 8958 Posts: 42

2013-07-06 7:58 PM toadbra

Have any VitaMix recipes?

Started by EV3110
Views: 1777 Posts: 7

2012-11-08 9:26 PM cdivine9

Have any VitaMix recipes?

Started by EV3110
Views: 809 Posts: 1

2012-11-06 3:21 PM EV3110

Besides a Vitamix or Blendtec.... Pages: 1 2

Started by todds
Views: 8047 Posts: 27

2013-01-21 8:31 PM justinfss

VitaMix

Started by elheffe99
Views: 966 Posts: 2

2006-12-22 2:12 PM Global
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : April 26, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on good vs bad sugars, fluid loss replacement, clean eating, the Paleo diet and are gels necessary for olympic races.
date : December 4, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on IMWI preparation, May A-race preparation, lunges, yoga vs pilates, zones to lose weight and endurance loss over the winter.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.