General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need an easy calorie journal app. Any Ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-24 10:30 PM

User image

Bella Vista, AR
Subject: Need an easy calorie journal app. Any Ideas?
Hi folks,

Looking for an app to track calories without a whole lot of muss and fuss. Every one that I've seen thus far either has too many bells and whistles or has so much detail that its cumbersome (and hence gets set aside quickly). For example, I'd like to be able to enter: Oatmeal, apple, skim milk and be done (as opposed to selecting between 15 types of apples and 11 different portion sizes in grams and ounces, then 35 brands of oatmeal etc...

I'm happy to trade a little accuracy for ease of use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Walt

2013-05-25 6:01 AM
in reply to: #4756393

User image

Veteran
Belleville, MI
Subject: RE: Need an easy calorie journal app. Any Ideas?
I like myfitnesspal the most. Give it a try and let me know.
2013-05-31 7:50 AM
in reply to: walterh

User image

x2 - MyFitnessPal

Yes you have to choose between multiple choices, but once you get used to it its not bad. Also, it keeps your regular items stored so that they pop up quickly. I've been using MFP for about 5 months now with great results.
2013-06-01 8:52 AM

User image

Washington, DC
I really like Livestrong's Daily Plate!
2013-06-05 9:46 PM

User image

New user

Oak Lawn, IL
Loseit is also good pretty close to being the same as MFP
2013-06-06 5:09 AM

Illinois
I know you said that you wanted an app, but I suggest that instead you just use a regular blank journal or small notebook. With the apps you just enter whatever you ate and everything is done for you!! Awesome?! However, you never really learn anything about what you are putting in to your body because everything is already calculated for you.
I started out using a blank notepad as I mentioned, tracking calories, fats, carbs, and protein. At first it takes a little extra effort finding out calorie and nutrient information for everything you eat. However, you become very knowledgeable about what you are putting into your body and better tuned to what you need when you feel a certain way. I have been doing it for so long that I do not have to write everything down for a day if I am out of state traveling for example, and still hit my calorie and macro-nutrient needs because I have a large knowledge base for calorie and nutrient info on a very diverse range of foods. Makes day to day life much easier and less stressful especially when traveling. I do it too because I am actually learning about nutrition and my body instead of mindlessly plugging data into an app. Plus, after doing it for a while, it only takes me 5-10 minutes to set up a daily plan and pack my food before work.

2013-06-13 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
I would join the chorus on myfitnesspal. Yes, there is a lot of junk in their database - but after almost a year of continuous logging, my "recent" list has pretty much everything I eat, so I rarely have to go digging through it.
2013-06-15 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
NSW
+++ for myfitnesspal. Have used it for over 2yrs and keeps getting better.
2013-06-21 7:39 AM

User image

i use the everyday health calorie app (I think its linked to about.com). I like that it has a good database of stuff to select from; you can also scan the barcode of a food and add the stuff if it isn't in the database - or add a recipe that you analyzed (I do this often) - and then you can save them
2013-06-26 10:28 AM
in reply to: erfitzge

User image

I also use and like the Livestrong Daily Plate. While I haven't tried the others, Livestrong includes the protein, carbs, and fat for each food item entered so you can see your percentage intake of each. That is very helpful. It's also free, which is nice. My only gripe is that the "recent foods" and "favorite foods" functions are not very reliable. There are items I eat daily which don't show up as recently eaten (I suppose this is just a laziness issue on my part). Also, mine will occasionally shut down on me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need an easy calorie journal app. Any Ideas? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To Journal or Not to Journal this is the question

Started by cjachord
Views: 1073 Posts: 4

2012-08-26 12:20 PM marina

How does the nutrition journal calculate calories out?

Started by wonderfig
Views: 951 Posts: 3

2012-01-13 10:09 AM wonderfig

Best Calorie Counting App for Android?

Started by dinabean
Views: 6423 Posts: 6

2010-06-15 9:44 AM trimore

Daily Calorie Need

Started by azupka
Views: 2269 Posts: 21

2005-01-03 12:04 PM double_a121

How many calories do I need??

Started by tjbahl
Views: 1595 Posts: 11

2004-06-22 12:32 PM tjbahl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.

date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.
date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.

date : November 6, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
Over this next month I will be learning more about my bike each time I take it out to ride. I want to take full advantage of what it has to offer.
date : September 3, 2006
author : Terese Luikens
I learned that you actually take breaks from training. It is not about bucking up, but about working up to a certain level.

date : October 9, 2005
author : Ron
comments : 2
This article gives instruction on using all the nutrition log features to count your daily calories from foods eaten.
date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.