World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 53m 15s
Overall Rank = 150/2300
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/
Pre-race routine:

coffee and waffle breakfast, zico on the way to race, and then caffiene gel right before start.
Event warmup:

long walk from car to transition to start
Swim
  • 1h 01m 20s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up at front behind yellow kayak and tread water for 10min to hold my spot. In the last few minutes it became increasing hard to keep people from getting in front of me. Once the cannon fired I hammered out of there into clear water. There was minimal contact like in 2011 and I was off feeling good. Early on my right goggle lens fill with water but it was not a huge issue since i only breath to my left. I did well to sight and stayed close to the buoy line. It felt like it took forever to round the first buoy and as we approached it that was the first time my space got a little crowded. On the way back after the turnaround I felt like my pace was dropping off some so I worked hard to find feet and stay in a groove. As we entered the canal I started to get the usual shoulder fatigue in my right arm so a altered my stroke a little to ease up on the force in my stroke. Near the end one of my straps for my goggles popped off and it completely threw me off. I switched quickly to the back stroke and tried to put them back on. The l few last few minutes i saw with my goggles crooked on my face.
What would you do differently?:

I felt this was my best IM swim to date. I have swam right at 1hr twice in wetsuit swims at IMAZ and St George and last time in IMTX and in Kona I swam 1:04. Only issue was not using some body glide under my arms. By the midpoint the speedsuit had rubbed some serious tender spots under my armpit area and it irritated me the rest of the day.
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

Could have gone a little faster but needed to get some vaseline on the raw spots on my arms.
Bike
  • 5h 15m 39s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I did 2 rides outside of 4hrs each to prep this year and then knocked out another handful of rides on the trainer that were 2.5-3.5hrs. I have had some disc issues in my back which has affected my ability to stay aero so I was a little nervous about how the bike would go. the plan was to pedal very easy the first 2 hrs and then play it by ear.

Once on the bike it was awesome outside. Warm morning by not uncomfortable. We rolled out with a nice tailwind and just cruised on lots of solid roads. I think I used my small ring a bunch in the first hour. Lots of people zoomed by and the pedaling was almost too easy but I didnt want to upset my back early so i just cruised along. It didnt take long before the sun started to smack us down with some heat and the winds started to shift around. It is also around the midpoint where you start to hit some hills that test you after cruising for so long. I did well to manage any hills or wind and did a great job to stay aero most of the bike. I was happy to see special needs as I had my replacement bottle for nutrition waiting. I froze if overnight in a camelbak podium big chill bottle and wrapped it in some foil. It requires me so stop for a minute to unwrap it but the first swag was golden as it was still slushy and very cold. My biggest issue on the bike was getting the nutrition in as the bike went on. One can only handle so much sports drink, water, and gels. i ate half a powerbar but that was it for the solids. I blew thru about 15 salt tabs and some sports legs by the four hour mark and the last hour was long! Winding back thru the woodlands at the end went on forever and by then it was an oven out. I was passing lots of people and felt some good power in the legs from starting slow. I hammered on home to T2 knowing I was mentally cooked from the first 6+ hours. I started to have doubts about wanting to run in the heat for another 3-4hrs.

Needed a few more long rides in the legs but very happy with the effort and it seemed to come easy for this pace.
Transition 2
  • 09m 17s
Comments:

This was one of the longest transitions of my life. I was mentally cooked which tends to happen to me after riding the bike for so long. I sat in the tent feeling like I was cooking. I volunteer was nice enough to dump cold water on me and then help unwrap a few bandaids i needed for my feet. We then reapplied vaseline under my arms because the sweat and salt was burning me so bad. I then slowly walked to the porta potty for my first piss of the day. I was dreading the run for the first time in a long time.

Pick up the pace. The longer i stayed in the tent to less I wanted to leave.
Run
  • 4h 22m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew in the first mile this was going to be a huge mental battle. Running is my strength but today it was going to be my downfall. Once again, I really skimmed on my training and the run suffered the most. I ran a run of 15miles, 13miles, and 11miles 2 times and that was it in 2013 for long runs. I felt I could fake my way to a decent time of 3:30-3:40 but that was not to be. The mix of the sun, my upset stomach, and poor run training kicked my ass almost immediately. I was shuffling from aid station to aid station and once I got there I didnt want to leave. As I would run it wasnt awful on the first loop but walking was just so damn easy. By the 2nd loop was was stopping before I reached to aid station to walk up to it and then walk another 1min or so after leaving. My feet were really starting to ache on the second loop and I was struggling mentally to walk. I did have a few austinites pick me up to run at times and when I did I would drop them and take off only to walk at the next aid station. Once I hit the riverwalk on the 2nd loop I was really running fast to the point I was easily at 7min pace or less but once again I would hit the aid station at the anadark building and it would kill my running buzz. I repeated this tread on loop 3 and by then the feet hurt with every step. My feet were just not ready to run long after 2hrs so this was becoming torture. Once I hit the finish chute its crazy how good your suddenly feel and then after you cross the line you realize again how bad you truly feel.

Run train way more and HTFU. I ran a 3:40 here 2yrs prior to qualify for kona and then ran 3:22 in kona the same year. that year a run trained for the Austin marathon for 3-4months with several weeks of running 50-60miles. All that run training make the 2011 IMs way more manageable.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

training

Event comments:

The athlete area after the race had no seating or shade and all they had were rows of tables with no chairs out in the blazing sun. This to me after an IM is unacceptable. We pay lots of money for a race that should have the post race details covered. Seems later that night after many complaints the chairs surfaced. I also think burritos are a poor choice of food after a race. To me pizza is cheap and easy and it really hits the spot. Just my preference. Last rant is to give out cold IM perform drinks at the finish and not just water and cokes.

Last updated: 2012-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:01:20 | 4224 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/
Overall: 102/2300
Performance: Good
Suit: tyr torque speedsuit
Course: out and back and then hard right down a canal for final 1/4 of swim
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:15:39 | 112 miles | 21.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/
Overall: 135/2300
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: single loop, rolling hills, some strong winds at time
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:17
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:22:32 | 26.2 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/
Overall: 150/2300
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 loops, course open to the sun, mostly flat and on concrete which was burning my feet
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-25 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

2013-05-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4756585

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
Awesome job. It was brutally just standing there volunteering. You say running is your strength but have you seen your swim time?
2013-05-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
Thanks for volunteering out there. It looked like a tougher job than doing the race. I have improved in my swim and I guess I do swim better than I give myself credit for. Having a swim PR for non-wetsuit was a goal and I nailed that so there is a silver lining here. Thanks for the comment.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2855 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2623 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2367 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2882 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3274 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.