United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 46m 13s
Overall Rank = 1050/2400
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 131/283
Pre-race routine:

after waking up, headed down to hotel lobby for some oatmeal, and a cup of coffee. Was battling a cough so took a dose of EmergenC and Airborne with a 8oz bottle of gatorade.
Event warmup:

Other than swinging my around around a bit to get them lose, I did not warm up. My plan called for a easy swim start building to my training swim pace with was rather slow.
Swim
  • 1h 29m 3s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

For the swim, my plan was to conserve as much energy as possible. The water temp made the race wetsuit optional and I had made a decision to wear it regardless of temp (except in very high temps) and keep steady pace to ensure I could get out of the water. Due to the temps, the wetsuit athletes started 10 minutes after the non-wetsuits. This was an additional bonus for me as the start never felt chaotic. In fact, it was much less so than the small prints I have done at home. As far as the course, it sighted a lot to ensure i stayed on course. I did run into a couple of people that seemed to be criss-crossing a lot and no matter what I did to try to avoid them, they kept coming unexpectedly from the left or the right without warning. The swim ended up being a non-event for me, just as I had planned.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. For my next race, I might try to actually race on the swim portion or at a minimum, push the pace a little to see it I can bring down the time a bit.
Transition 1
  • 06m 16s
Comments:

T1 went fairly smooth. I only had a bit of trouble putting on my arm compression sleeves. Taking the wetsuit off was very easy thanks to the peelers.

I would probably get my arm compression sleeves on just over the hands and adjust them once I was on the bike. probably lost 60 seconds or so trying to get them right at the tent.
Bike
  • 6h 21m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

it would have been a great ride if it was not because I broke a cardinal rule and tried something I had done in training. I decided to take in IM Perform at every station. Each bottle has 200 calories which when combined with my nutrition plan of 250 calories per hour, resulted in feeling bloated at the end of the bike leg. While it did not impact my bike segment, it destroyed my run leg.

stick to the plan
Transition 2
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

Transition was fairly smooth. I did not know that I could have handed my helmet to the bike handler. I went straight into the port-potty and came back out to change sock, shoes, add hat, race and fuel belt. I also put a fair amount of vaseline around arm pits and privates.

Conditions were hot and I had wet. During the run portion, I also dumped a lot of water on me to stay cool. I should have taken the time to change into running shorts and tshirt to avoid the rashes that ensued under armpits and hamstrings as a result of a wet bike shorts pad.
Run
  • 5h 43m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

not much to say. I was bloated and could not run. did a lot of walk run due to how I felt.

force myself to throw up or sit for 30 minutes to wait for the IM perform ingested during the bike portion to be digested.
Post race
Warm down:

just hung around the finish line. Did sign up for a short massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the IM Perform ingested during the bike portion.

Event comments:

for my first IM, it was a good experience.

Last updated: 2013-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:03 | 4224 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 154/283
Overall: 1315/2400
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: Lake Woodlands, man made.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:21:10 | 112 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 153/283
Overall: 1184/2400
Wind: Headwind
Course: course was flat and seemed fast. around mile 40 trees seemed to appear on both sides of the road. At the turn back point, it became more exposed which was enhanced by the climbing temperatures. Aid stations appeared to be consistently spaced every 10-15 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 76
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:43:12 | 26.2 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 131/283
Overall: 1050/2400
Performance: Bad
Course: 3 lap course. Flat some share but mostly exposed to sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-25 11:46 AM

Simsbury, CT
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas

Started by TxMatt
Views: 2862 Posts: 4

2013-05-30 5:14 PM rach5928

Started by VarneyT
Views: 2636 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:33 PM papson14

Started by mman
Views: 2373 Posts: 3

2013-05-21 9:35 PM papson14

Started by chrisisen
Views: 2889 Posts: 5

2013-05-21 9:38 PM papson14

Started by jimmyb
Views: 3284 Posts: 12

2013-05-22 10:25 AM TriAya
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.