BT Development New Site Bugs » I won't let you down. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-05-26 12:15 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: I won't let you down.

(bug report forum is below next to training log and site support forum)

My case for a 'more intuitive' BT

Today I confirmed what bugs are being worked on and have a new bug ticket for the programmers.  The next several days should take care of the 'medium' issues people are still having.  Race and race report stuff, forum stuff, etc.  Of course nutrition logging, that will be online soon...get rid of those errors.

I started redoing some of the 'old' tutorials on using various things.  The main intent of the new site was to reduce the dependance of 'tutorials' to do something.  It should be intuitive with the interface.  Of course this means retraining current BT'ers on how to do things...many will agree that 'it's harder'...I would think due to being so used to the old way...and several things may take an extra click...but is the new design more 'intuitive' TO A GUEST? TO A NEW MEMBER. That is the MAIN reason behind the 'training log' dropdown and stuff like that.  THAT is intuitive.  A NEW user can easily figure out where things are at without resorting to a tutorial.  Many of our things were buried in a users control panel (goals, route manager, etc) for which I had frequent email.  Getting to an imported training plan was constantly a PITA for new users and I got the support email to prove it.  Add-to-that and our last redesign (really just plastic surgery) was 4 years ago!  You get old and archaic on the internet in that timeframe.  That is why we uber simplified it:  Upload, My Log, My Training Plan, My Progress, etc.  You can't miss it.

Besides years of constant email support, this redesign also came out of our last user survey 2-3 years ago - which is THICK - what you liked, what you don't like.  It's based on stats, what was used, what wasn't.  This is the first time that the graphics came second to form and function.  The 'fancy' things we use - it's not about being fancy...it's trying to serve a purpose with the large amount of data we have to present to a user...and to a new user, it was inundating.  Sure, I may have got some things wrong ( I did with the friends page ), and I'm sure there will be several other things to re-evaluate based on continued input and stats.

And I fully realize there is going to be attrition from this redesign.  People are people, some people are patient, some people are not. Some people will like the design, some won't.  I can't do anything about that. But for those that are still understandably irritated from the bugs and on-the-fence as to if you want this to be your home...

Get to know me first... 

If anybody knows me, I'm not just going to sit on my bum with broken stuff and rightly irritable users.  Of course not.  It's going to get fixed, and SOON.  I answer all the support email.  Of course it would be in my best interest to fix everything as soon as a I can so I have less email.  Who likes that stuff anyways?

We just finished going live with the first ever soup-to-nuts, core-to-UI redesign of 10 years of prior work.  THAT'S RIGHT - 10 YEARS OF PRIOR CODE.  (Yes, it's our 10 year anniversary next month).  In less than a week, the uploader is up (and should be timestamping workouts correctly), many of the forum issues and timeouts are taken care of.  The training log is fully usable with the exception of some nutrition bugs that we should be updating any day.  Nothing really wrong with the articles, homepage, or races (except for some race report issues that don't really affect posting). 

I THINK WE DID AN EXCEPTIONAL JOB GIVEN THE CODE WE HAD TO REDO.  RIGHT?

If I was a betting man, I would bet-the-farm that nobody else could have pulled what we did off in the amount of time we did.  We are a DIVERSE site right?  Who in the world has a more in-depth race listing+reports+race log?  Nobody.  Our triathlon training log is at the top of the list, depending on what type of user you are.  And not-to-mention a very busy forum at the top of the list.  We also have training plans, custom plans, etc.  And all of those things are socially linked.  THAT IS A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF CODE.  Really think about it.  Many sites only focus on one or two of those at the most.  We do them all, pretty damn good.  And to totally redesign and only be crippled in some respects for a half week (uploads) then starting-to-hum with some frequent sputters a week later.  THAT'S GOOD. THAT'S EXCEPTIONAL especially given the size of our team and what we had to do.

Don't get me wrong, there are still several, several things that need optimized and still several, more minor bugs and annoyances mentioned and to find and to improve speed (I did good on the friends didn't I?  And that is still not even complete).  It's analogous to the friends, it's your good, patient-to-slightly-impatient feedback that worked and created something 'maybe even better'.  And look, I just found a bug to put on the list.

But we have come a long way in a week.  In another week or two we will just about be 'there'.  End of next month...wow.  It's going to be awesome.  And it's never a 'done-deal'...I'm always accepting of criticism and ideas and will be when all of this is 'complete'.  Because it's never really 'complete.'

Trust in your caretaker.  I'm not going to let you down.  Help me understand the remaining issues.  Be part of the solution by given me details and to give me your thoughts - knowing that I can't fix something immediately.  Because like the friends-page revisions based on user input...you wouldn't want to miss 'possibly something better' would you?

2013-05-26 7:45 AM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: I won't let you down.

Ron, you always do a great job listening and trying to find a way to make something better--or not, if it doesn't need to be--, but you do listen, try to help and explain.

Growing pains and us old fogies will figure it out in time.

I can't imagine the stress and level of problems you've dealt with this week. Hopefully that gets better for you soon.

2013-05-26 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Wow. Huge changes! But I like the 'clean' feel of the new site. Of course, this is my first time logging on in months, so for all I know, these new changes are now very old changes. Nice job.
2013-05-26 8:43 AM
in reply to: prof40

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Ron,

You have been working nonstop to fix the things that we have pointed out in the past week-thank you.

Are there things we like/ dislike?  Yes--there has to be a point in which you as administrator of the site say "THIS is the way it is going to be"  Thanks for keeping us in the loop and being open to suggestions.

2013-05-26 12:29 PM

New user
Ron....No Worries People have a hard time with change, myself included but we will all get used to the new changes. I'm almost figuring it out already and I'm pc slow haha.
2013-05-26 2:57 PM
in reply to: mikealti62

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I know its a process. Great improvements with the friends thing, although I found a bug in that. If I go t someone elses friends page and try to get tot he second page it takes me to MY second page of friends not my friends second page. Not a big deal and certainly not urgent but thought you would want to know about it. Thanks for your hard work

2013-05-26 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks, Ron, I really appreciate your hard work. I think it looks fantastic and is a refreshing new look. Only thing I miss is being able to input more than one type of activity at a time. We triathletes often do bricks, lol. But, I can get used to change!
2013-05-26 5:05 PM

Uxbridge
Thanks Ron!!!
I'm happy that you were able to fix the friends list!!!
2013-05-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4757008

User image

Extreme Veteran
Love the new site. I'm enjoying the wat everything looks and feels.
2013-05-27 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
I've been on BT since 2007. As much as I was used to the old way of doing things I think the redesign is much more intuitive and visually appealing. Love it. I haven't been training much recently but needed to get in shape so I decided to import a plan. Renewed my membership a couple of days ago to support your work! I've always appreciated the services BT provides for free and the community we all take for granted. You do a fabulous job. Thank you!!!
2013-05-27 1:53 PM
in reply to: SauseEnte

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Thank you for all you do. A complete recode is a huge undertaking and a lot of the changes you've made are fantastic. You've also been amazingly quick to fix the bugs and the hard-to-use issues. And you're right - sometimes it takes old dogs a while to learn new tricks. This old dog is getting used to the new site.

2013-05-28 12:40 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Elite
Unsurprisingly I've forgotten what the old looked like!
2013-05-28 6:06 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Keep up the great work - people don't like change sometime but I am embracing it and think it is awesome.

KC
2013-05-28 8:07 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Here since '07, and by 'here', I mean several times a day!

For my own part, I like the new design, couple of warts and all, and I'm not having any trouble visualizing what the site will look like once the fine points are sorted out.

BT is like candy to someone with a serious sweet-tooth..
2013-05-28 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I think it is great! I find it much easier to use and love the new look. Thanks for all that you do.
2013-05-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
I think the biggest issue was really the friends lists which appears to be greatly improved now. In fact, I have been noticing many changes since the go-live and all of them seem very favorable. There are still a handful of little bugs, but nothing I am too concerned with. Keep up the good work Ron!

2013-05-28 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
I can fully appreciate a major rollout of a software package with little or no downtime. Good for you and I think the new look/feel is a tremendous improvement over the previous tired site.

Some questions:

>Where is the appropriate place to post bugs/requests, etc.?

> My one nitpick right now, which I don't know how to check if it has been submitted yet - or is a valid issue or not.
If you are in a forum and reading through comments, there is not an easy way to reply to the forum as a new message. You have to go back to the beginning and say reply (unless I am missing something.) You can reply to comments in the forum, but not start a new comment, unless like I said you go back to the beginning where the reply button is located.

At the bottom of the comments is "New Thread" but I presume this starts an entirely new thread in the forum, rather than in the current thread being read. I say this because when you click on it, this does not look like a reply but a whole new thread being created.

>Lastly, i would be interested in an overview of the hardware and software you folks are running? Is there a blog/write-up on what you have done?

Thanks for nurturing the community.
best,
thomas

2013-05-28 12:19 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I have always found change.......ANY change......hard to deal with, so no big surprise that my initial reaction to the new site was on a purely emotional level.
But change is necessary.
I realize that.

I can only imagine the amount of work that this redesign has been for you ..........you have an incredible commitment to this site and to the members and for that I am truly grateful.
I think you are to be commended for your willingness to listen to the members and to make changes accordingly. I cannot really imagine that happening on another site.

So for all of that............thank you.

This is still home to me.
Even if my blog photo now looks all weird and I am nine feet tall on my bale of hay!

PS.......why AM I all stretched out on my bale of hay and how do I fix myself
I really do look rather silly.............

2013-05-28 1:55 PM
in reply to: aquagirl

User image

Regular

I'm still learning the new site/system.  I have had frustrations but cannot imagine an honest assessment from a regular user who doesn't see the benefits and improvements.  Keep your head down -- we're grateful and supportive.

Thank you.

2013-05-28 11:37 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Uh yeah, let me see, my bronze membership expired some time ago, essentially I'm a freeloader at the moment. This is the only place I log workouts because it's so darn easy and user friendly. So yeah, I have zero complaints. I've seen other websites etc. but meh, nothing spectacular.

Well done, keep up the good work!

P.S. I'm so glad Helen likes the new site, never get tired of looking at her avatar And her photos are awesome if you haven't had a chance to see them.
2013-05-29 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Hi Ron,

Keep up the good work. I like the new site. I'm sure once people get used to moving around the site, they will see the light. Thank you for putting so much hard work into making a better BT.

Samantha

2013-05-29 1:52 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I am amazed at all the effort you are putting into this improvement (and yes, I think it is improved, overall). I have never been apart of a site that actually paid as much attention or cared a much about how changes to a site affect its users. Usually it is just BAM! Change happens, get used to it.

Thank you so much for all you do.

2013-05-29 3:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Just a thank you, Ron. I appreciate all your work on trying to improve the site, both for us old-timers and the new folks coming to the site for the first time. I appreciate that you listen to our concerns and worked so quickly to improve the 'Friends' issues.
2013-06-02 6:52 PM
in reply to: jmwebs

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Change is inevitable. Thank you for taking us with you to the new land of BT!
2013-06-02 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Sioux Falls
I love it. Once I figured out a few things I found it's much easier to log my nutrition, which is what takes more time than anything. Your site is my anchor and my beacon. Great job.
New Thread
BT Development New Site Bugs » I won't let you down. Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.

date : June 24, 2006
author : Team BT
Wrist Curl-Palm Down strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 18, 2006
author : Team BT
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Bill
comments : 9
Reflecting on the events in my life that led to my being waste deep in water wearing spandex with a latex cap over my freshly shaved head.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.