General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is better bike training for hills - rolling hills vs steep repeats? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 10:54 AM

User image

Subject: what is better bike training for hills - rolling hills vs steep repeats?
Hey folks,

In order to try to mix up my cycleing workouts I thought I would do some hill repeats so today I just picked a random hill I knew and went up it. I felt it was really hard for my current fitness and I probably should have mapped something out ahead of time, but ah well.

It made me think about what is most advantageous for hill training and increaseing speed. Either powering through rolling hills or steep hill repeats?

He is a portion of my "flat" bike route that I normally do my long rides and do some interval training on which has some bumps:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/215733895

And here is the hill I choose to use and my training hill repeats:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/215727643

Thanks for the feedback!

2013-05-27 11:53 AM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Subject: RE: what is better bike training for hills - rolling hills vs steep repeats?
I'm not being very coherent this morning :-)

I'm interested in understanding what hill grade/length is most effective to train with.

At what point is a hill too steep which would negitively impact training?
Is it better in the long run to train on rolling hills in order to teach yourself to use high cadence and smoothly get over climbs?
Is it better to just mash up steep hills and build up strength?

Thanks
2013-05-27 12:59 PM

, Alabama
Subject: RE: what is better bike training for hills - rolling hills vs steep repeats?
I would be really interested in an answer to this from those most experienced on the bike. I am new to cycling and still have issues with hills. I work my way down through the gers and just get slower and slower pushing really hard just to get the pedals round and fel like I am going to slow to a complete stop and fall off. That hasn't happened yet, but my speed on really steep long hills is unbelievably slow. I asked my son who is a cyclist your question. His answer was hill sprints to build power in your legs ( which is my problem he thinks) and rolling hills for endurance.
2013-05-27 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
hill repeats are usually done on a hill about a mile long. steep is good. work on keeping cadence high.

so of the 2 you put up the second one.

2013-05-27 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Hate to start of any answer with this, but it depends... If you live and train in an area that is fairly hilly, then you can start off with both longer and steeper hills. The length of the hill should be long enough that you have a sustained power output for at least a couple of minutes, preferably 5+ minutes. It should be steep enough that it is a challenge, but not so steep that you can't maintain good form and cadence. There's no use riding a hill that is so steep that you run out of gear immediately and can't maintain proper form for the duration.

Short steep hills are useful in peak power training. This is what we used to do when I raced bikes (I was a sprinter...), find a hill that is steep and long enough that you need to maintain power for about 30-60 seconds, but not longer. Ride into the hill at two gears lower than what you normally sprint in and then go all out in that gear until you crest the hill. Do not shift during the effort. This is a max effort and really painful, so 2-5 reps is more than enough and don't start off with this. This is a peak power training, so only to be done after you have a very solid base.
2013-05-27 5:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Great White North

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what is better bike training for hills - rolling hills vs steep repeats? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How do you bike those really steep hills? Pages: 1 2

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 3621 Posts: 35

2012-06-28 8:08 AM audiojan

Hills Hills Hills.

Started by Flapjack
Views: 1075 Posts: 3

2012-05-14 8:22 PM mattramirez

hills, hills and more hills!!

Started by evb4mvp
Views: 1368 Posts: 4

2011-07-12 2:16 AM Puppetmaster

Is it better to run up steep hills?

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 3673 Posts: 10

2011-03-01 3:39 AM chesbak

Hill repeats - young vs. old

Started by y2kdad99
Views: 909 Posts: 3

2009-02-24 9:15 PM PintoRacer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : May 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
The soreness still develops during/after strides. I have no problem during or after hill repeats. Any recommendations concerning stretching or specific strength exercises that might help?
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?
date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle