General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good places for open water swims ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 4:31 PM

User image

Subject: Good places for open water swims ?
Im looking for some good places for some open water swimming. I've lived in Phoenix for 4 years now and believe it or not, have not been to a single lake yet. Im headed up to Saguaro with some friends today, bringing my goggles and cap, not sure though? I imagine there is some great spots up around Flagstaff and Im sure I could just hop on google, but if any of you have some favorite spots, please, Id love to hear them.

Edited by Tbjeff 2013-05-27 4:57 PM

2013-05-27 7:03 PM
in reply to: Tbjeff

User image

Phoenix AZ
Subject: RE: Good places for open water swims ?
here is a great resource that lists all the local swims in the valley and further afield:

http://watergirl.co/content/open-water-swimming-arizona

there is actually a race at lake pleasant next weekend:

http://www.azopenwater.com

and finally, there is a closed group on facebook called "az open water swimming" where you can meet up with folks to swim.
2013-05-27 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Rattlesnake Cove at Bartlett Lake is a good swim spot because there are "no boat" buoys keeping the boats out. The lake level is the highest in years so there isn't much of a hike to the shore. You need to buy a Tonto pass to hang on your rear view mirror. They can be had for $6.00 each at Circle Ks, Big Five stores or if you're planning on swimming a lot you can get an annual pass online. There are a lot of groups that swim there, some during the week and some on the weekends. You can also tackle the hills on your bike after swimming if you're jonesing for a kickass brick workout.

Saguaro's Butcher Jones is another swim spot with "no boat" buoys. It's pretty weedy right now. Think Arizona kelp. If you end up in them just keep swimming. If you're not swimming with a wetsuit the weeds may scratch you up a bit depending on how thick they are. Keyhole is another popular swim spot but I've never swam there. I don't know if boats are kept away. A Tonto pass is required there too.

Canyon lake has a couple of spots but I don't remember their names. One is in a no boat area. This is another swim spot that I haven't visited yet. I think you need a Tonto pass there too.

A friend and I explored a swim spot at Lake Pleasant near the northern 4 lane boat ramp, near Fireman's Cove. That was a few weeks ago. They're drawing the lake level down early this year so I'm not sure it isn't high and dry by now. The thing about Lake Pleasant is it is probably the most popular lake for boat traffic. I don't know if there are any no boat zones there. No Tonto pass required but there is a $6.00 gate fee for the day.

The facebook page is the best place to learn when and where folks are swimming. Hope to see you at one of the lakes someday.

Good swimming
2013-05-27 9:53 PM
in reply to: Bunsbert Montcroff

User image

Originally posted by Bunsbert Montcroff

here is a great resource that lists all the local swims in the valley and further afield:

http://watergirl.co/content/open-water-swimming-arizona

there is actually a race at lake pleasant next weekend:

http://www.azopenwater.com

and finally, there is a closed group on facebook called "az open water swimming" where you can meet up with folks to swim.

Wow, what a great resource, thank you!
2013-05-27 9:55 PM
in reply to: sksharp

User image

Originally posted by sksharp

Rattlesnake Cove at Bartlett Lake is a good swim spot because there are "no boat" buoys keeping the boats out. The lake level is the highest in years so there isn't much of a hike to the shore. You need to buy a Tonto pass to hang on your rear view mirror. They can be had for $6.00 each at Circle Ks, Big Five stores or if you're planning on swimming a lot you can get an annual pass online. There are a lot of groups that swim there, some during the week and some on the weekends. You can also tackle the hills on your bike after swimming if you're jonesing for a kickass brick workout.

Saguaro's Butcher Jones is another swim spot with "no boat" buoys. It's pretty weedy right now. Think Arizona kelp. If you end up in them just keep swimming. If you're not swimming with a wetsuit the weeds may scratch you up a bit depending on how thick they are. Keyhole is another popular swim spot but I've never swam there. I don't know if boats are kept away. A Tonto pass is required there too.

Canyon lake has a couple of spots but I don't remember their names. One is in a no boat area. This is another swim spot that I haven't visited yet. I think you need a Tonto pass there too.

A friend and I explored a swim spot at Lake Pleasant near the northern 4 lane boat ramp, near Fireman's Cove. That was a few weeks ago. They're drawing the lake level down early this year so I'm not sure it isn't high and dry by now. The thing about Lake Pleasant is it is probably the most popular lake for boat traffic. I don't know if there are any no boat zones there. No Tonto pass required but there is a $6.00 gate fee for the day.

The facebook page is the best place to learn when and where folks are swimming. Hope to see you at one of the lakes someday.

Good swimming

My Saguaro trip actually fell through.. So, made some food and hanging out I suppose. Did hit the gym for a run... And another awesome resource... So the FB page is closed, private? I consider myself a "tri newby" and I dont want to be "that guy" but I enjoy networking..
2013-05-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: 0

I love swimming at Canyon Lake. I think it's Boulder cove??? It's the right turn just before the 2nd bridge, when you approach the marina. Quiet cove blocked by the marina...no motor traffic at all. On the weekends you'll see a lot of people out there during the summer training for IM. You need a Tonto pass, as mentioned previously. I always feel really safe out there.

Edited by Tri Fit 2013-05-28 3:50 PM

2013-05-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: Tri Fit

User image

Originally posted by Tri Fit

I love swimming at Canyon Lake. I think it's Boulder cove??? It's the right turn just before the 2nd bridge, when you approach the marina. Quiet cove blocked by the marina...no motor traffic at all. On the weekends you'll see a lot of people out there during the summer training for IM. You need a Tonto pass, as mentioned previously. I always feel really safe out there.

Awesome, tons of great info. I told my fiance we need to take a Saturday and go check out some of these places and swim... Good stuff here
2013-05-31 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran

This is our choice as well. nice long stretch of open water without boats to worry about makes it great for IM training.

And I'll pass on Saguaro- http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/free/20130531arizona-swimmers...
2013-06-01 12:29 AM
in reply to: booth22

User image

Veteran
Last summer I made the mistake of trying to use the "bathroom" at Butcher Jones. Inside, the walls, the seat and me were instantly covered in flys. They were EVERYPLACE. The stuff of nightmares! I thought I was in a Stephen King movie.
2013-06-01 2:46 PM

User image

Originally posted by booth22

This is our choice as well. nice long stretch of open water without boats to worry about makes it great for IM training.

And I'll pass on Saguaro- http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona/free/20130531arizona-swimmers...

Allllright. So good thing my Saguaro trip fell through on memorial day LOL
2013-06-01 8:07 PM
in reply to: sksharp

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by sksharp

Last summer I made the mistake of trying to use the "bathroom" at Butcher Jones. Inside, the walls, the seat and me were instantly covered in flys. They were EVERYPLACE. The stuff of nightmares! I thought I was in a Stephen King movie.

I thought Butcher Jones was the bathroom?

2013-06-05 3:10 PM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Has anybody seen the swim warning for some type of swim itch thing at Saguaro? I've been swimming with a group at Keyhole Thursday mornings. It's not shallow and weedy like Butcher Jones so I'm hoping there's no issue there. I haven't had any issues anyways.
2013-06-06 2:35 PM

Regular
Tempe, AZ
The rattlesnake cove at Bartlett lake is great. I also like canyon...just after you go over that metal bridge...if you take the first turn off for the first parking area...they have white buoys lined up from where the picnic tables are about 550m east. It is a good 1000-1100m round trip.

The best part of swimming here is on the way back...if you go in the morning..you are looking and practicing sighting right in the sun...which is the same thing you have to do in tempe town lake for the races there.
2013-06-11 12:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Im dragging my fiance out Wed. morning, the 19th... Were going to pack up the truck full of goodies and make a day trip out of it. This will be my first "serious/semi serious" WHATEVER you want to call it real attempt for an OWS. I swim at the pool at LA fitness... not good enough. Where should a newb head to first? Driving distance is not an issue. We are up around cave creek atm

Edited by Tbjeff 2013-06-11 12:47 AM
2013-07-11 6:34 PM

I highly recommend Canyon Lake. Boulder Cove, right turn just before the 2nd bridge at the marina. Very safe, as there is NO boat traffic at all. Pull into the first parking lot. You can take the stairs down and there's a beach area with picnic tables. On weekends there are always others swimming there.
2013-09-04 1:21 PM

User image

Mesa, AZ
We swim at Canyon lake every Thursday night at 6pm

http://www.meetup.com/arizonatriathlonclub/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good places for open water swims ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Open Water Swim Party - Weds after work

Started by robin314159
Views: 1883 Posts: 13

2010-10-20 8:41 AM kara82us

Open Water Swim

Started by TonyQ602
Views: 2074 Posts: 18

2010-03-09 5:54 PM todds

Open Water Swim in Tempe this Sunday 11-08-09

Started by StrengthLab
Views: 1731 Posts: 15

2009-11-13 9:05 AM azstaterick

Jot's Open Water Swim dates

Started by gamebofh
Views: 1439 Posts: 17

2009-05-20 10:51 AM gamebofh

Open Water Swims

Started by matthewboin
Views: 1309 Posts: 11

2009-01-23 11:38 AM perkins_jerryw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.