Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-05-28 12:36 PM
in reply to: timf79

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Very negative response

The response is different in my family depending on which family member you ask... my dad (who has been active for his entire life) loves it and supports me in my MOP triathlon endeavours.  My brother hasn't gone faster than a walk in about 15 years (other than chasing after his 2 kids) and I think lives a bit vicariously through me and likes following my races.  My mom, on the other hand, I would rather not let her know at all what I'm doing.  I'm sure she means well, but her general response is "well, if that's what you want to do..." complete with the facial grimace and eye-roll.  

Thankfully my hubby also does triathlons so we can motivate each other along the way and complain about aches, pains and getting up way too early in the morning for training. 

2013-05-28 12:46 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Veteran
Germantown, WI
Never really cared. My boss always gave me crap about taking vacation time for marathons, Ragnar, etc. "Most people take vacation to relax. You take it to go run." Although, people sure noticed when I didn't run for a few months and I gained some weight. Then they came out of the woodwork to tease me about it. Whatever.

My thought is that I do what I do for my own personal enjoyment and satisfaction.
2013-05-28 1:00 PM
in reply to: Nipper

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

"I did a marathon once. I think it was a 10k."

While not quite that bad, after my last triathlon (short course mountain bike sprint) a friend said "Congrats on your marathon!"  When I started to explain the differences, especially the distances involved, she basically said "don't belittle your accomplishment, it's still more than I could do".

2013-05-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Generally people are very positive about what I do.  Many have even said it's inspirational and I know with a few people (my sisters in particular) they've been able to get into it doing half marathons and other run races.

The funniest though was a colleague who asked me basically why on earth I would want to do an ironman as I was gushing about training for it - and lots of people I wouldn't talk to about it but the kicker is she's a marathoner.  I thought of all people she would understand and had just spent time telling me about doing the NYC Marathon.  

You just never know who will think it's awesome and who will be scratching their head. 

2013-05-28 2:12 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

The response is different in my family depending on which family member you ask... my dad (who has been active for his entire life) loves it and supports me in my MOP triathlon endeavours.  My brother hasn't gone faster than a walk in about 15 years (other than chasing after his 2 kids) and I think lives a bit vicariously through me and likes following my races.  My mom, on the other hand, I would rather not let her know at all what I'm doing.  I'm sure she means well, but her general response is "well, if that's what you want to do..." complete with the facial grimace and eye-roll.  

Thankfully my hubby also does triathlons so we can motivate each other along the way and complain about aches, pains and getting up way too early in the morning for training. 

x2, this is the way to do it.....with your spouse.  Makes the life of the casual athlete infinitely easier.  And two together are stronger than one when it comes to naysayers!

2013-05-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Saint Paul, MN
There are a handful of my friends who aren't very active, who can be a bit negative. There have been plenty of times when I have been out with a group of friends for dinner and drinks and a couple people make comments when I leave at 10pm to go to bed. "Why are you so lame?" or "Have a nice night Gramps." I usually tell them I will stay out later if I can also stop by their house/apartment at 7am so they can join me on my bike ride.

2013-05-28 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I love that my 27 year old son tried to put a guilt trip on me this weekend said I was spending way too much time training & was never around for the family. I was like WHAT???? First of all he is 27 and comes around maybe few times a month. I guess he pictured me in the rocking chair on the porch waiting- with a fresh pie in the oven of course.

I wont even start listing all the things i do including NEVER missing s sporting event for 3 sons and now one grandson playing t-ball. I was a SAHM for years and my kids are just spoiled. Ok, I have boys and I have pretty much quick cooking. They will get over it. And they all know how to cook BTW.

On the other hand, my husband & friends are VERY supportive. Several are coming to my first race even through is it 2 hours away and starts at 7AM.

But if they were not supportive I would do it anyway & say "Watch Me!"

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-05-28 3:24 PM
2013-05-28 5:52 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by noelle1230

For those who say, "I just don't bring up my hobbies", what do you say when someone asks you what you do for fun?  Do you just lie and say "nothing" because someone might either not like it, or not really care?  That seems silly.

If someone asks me, "what did you do yesterday" and I did a race, or even a long workout for a race, I say so.  Why hide stuff just because you may not like the response you get?

This has a lot less to do with triathlon and a lot more to do with people who are just negative in general.  I don't think it really matters what you say you do for a hobby--some people will find a way to put a negative spin on it regardless of what it is.  It's called insecurity.  People are too lazy or too comfortable in their little boxes to pursue things they say they want to do, so they have to bust on you because you're out there stepping out of the comfort zone and pursuing your passions.  It doesn't matter if it's triathlon, joining a book club, underwater basket weaving, etc.

Anyone who has to rip on someone else's hobbies is kind of sad.  Asking questions, not a problem for me, who cares if they ask 20 questions or don't seem to get the appeal of my hobby?  But talking about my hobbies, then hearing what's interesting or appealing to them instead, that's just called having a social conversation.

The negative nellies are going to be negative no matter what comes out of your mouth and unfortunately, some of them may be your family members!  Just keep talking about whatever you find interesting and don't worry about what someone else's reaction might be.

I have had to turn down invites for races, and I'll tell that person I'm unable to attend because I have a "insert activity here not always tri", and I've not had negative responses, but I can't recall the last time someone asked what my hobbies were.
2013-05-28 6:13 PM
in reply to: tlancer23

User image

Sensei
Sin City

That's weird that anyone would look negatively at exercising.  Maybe it's retaliation if you are rubbing it in their faces about how active you are?  It's a put off to hear someone go on and on about how much they train.  May want to knock them down a notch, perhaps?

I generally don't talk about tri.  I'm sure they don't care about it and I don't care how they spend their time.

I find it interesting that people are upset that someone speaks negatively about doing triathlon in our spare time and how unfair/rude/jealousy/whatever it is...  Then in the same breath, speak negatively about someone drinking wine or watching TV in THEIR free time.  If you don't like someone speaking ill of your activity then speak ill about theirs?  hmmmm

As for me?  I watch TV for four hours a day, work for 8-9 AND train for an IM during the season (along with keeping a healthy marriage going).  So I'm a loser for watching TV or a stud for training 12-15 hours a week?  Good thing is, it doesn't matter to me if you think I'm a loser OR a stud based on what I personally like to do in my free time.

2013-05-28 6:24 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

For those who say, "I just don't bring up my hobbies", what do you say when someone asks you what you do for fun?  Do you just lie and say "nothing" because someone might either not like it, or not really care?  That seems silly.

If someone asks me, "what did you do yesterday" and I did a race, or even a long workout for a race, I say so.  Why hide stuff just because you may not like the response you get?

This has a lot less to do with triathlon and a lot more to do with people who are just negative in general.  I don't think it really matters what you say you do for a hobby--some people will find a way to put a negative spin on it regardless of what it is.  It's called insecurity.  People are too lazy or too comfortable in their little boxes to pursue things they say they want to do, so they have to bust on you because you're out there stepping out of the comfort zone and pursuing your passions.  It doesn't matter if it's triathlon, joining a book club, underwater basket weaving, etc.

Anyone who has to rip on someone else's hobbies is kind of sad.  Asking questions, not a problem for me, who cares if they ask 20 questions or don't seem to get the appeal of my hobby?  But talking about my hobbies, then hearing what's interesting or appealing to them instead, that's just called having a social conversation.

The negative nellies are going to be negative no matter what comes out of your mouth and unfortunately, some of them may be your family members!  Just keep talking about whatever you find interesting and don't worry about what someone else's reaction might be.

I'm curios how you equate "not bringing up your hobbies" to lying and hiding what I do based on a possible negative response.

In my world, it's different to blurt out "I rode 70 miles yesterday" to somehow strike up a conversation, than if someone ASKS me what I did and my response is "rode 70 miles".

Most people don't care I rode 70 miles (or triathlon), so I don't bring it up.  But if someone asks me what I did, why would I consider lying about it?  I would answer to be polite that I rode.

Not sure of the leap in logic that not STARTING a triathlon conversation means I'm also going to lie/hide it if asked.

I'm sure there are lots of topics that people may not bring up, but will answer honestly if asked.

2013-05-28 6:24 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Kido

That's weird that anyone would look negatively at exercising.  Maybe it's retaliation if you are rubbing it in their faces about how active you are?  It's a put off to hear someone go on and on about how much they train.  May want to knock them down a notch, perhaps?

I generally don't talk about tri.  I'm sure they don't care about it and I don't care how they spend their time.

I find it interesting that people are upset that someone speaks negatively about doing triathlon in our spare time and how unfair/rude/jealousy/whatever it is...  Then in the same breath, speak negatively about someone drinking wine or watching TV in THEIR free time.  If you don't like someone speaking ill of your activity then speak ill about theirs?  hmmmm

As for me?  I watch TV for four hours a day, work for 8-9 AND train for an IM during the season (along with keeping a healthy marriage going).  So I'm a loser for watching TV or a stud for training 12-15 hours a week?  Good thing is, it doesn't matter to me if you think I'm a loser OR a stud based on what I personally like to do in my free time.

You forgot to add that you...drink...too. The horror!

2013-05-28 7:13 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I'm curios how you equate "not bringing up your hobbies" to lying and hiding what I do based on a possible negative response.

In my world, it's different to blurt out "I rode 70 miles yesterday" to somehow strike up a conversation, than if someone ASKS me what I did and my response is "rode 70 miles".

Most people don't care I rode 70 miles (or triathlon), so I don't bring it up.  But if someone asks me what I did, why would I consider lying about it?  I would answer to be polite that I rode.

Not sure of the leap in logic that not STARTING a triathlon conversation means I'm also going to lie/hide it if asked.

I'm sure there are lots of topics that people may not bring up, but will answer honestly if asked.

I'll make it simple, apply it to a real life situation.

I raced Saturday.  I did really well, my efforts paid off, I was happy.  Didn't do much else that day.

Went to a party Sunday, some people I knew, some I didn't.  As we walked in, someone asked what we've been up to this weekend.  I said I raced yesterday.  A few people seemed interested, asked details.  I answered, said I was happy with the results.  After a few minutes, no one was interested any longer and the topic changed.

Why when asked what I did this weekend would I say "nothing"?  It was the highlight of my day, I shared it.  I don't care if people think it's a stupid hobby or a waste of time.

If I'm excited about something related to my hobbies, I'm going to share it.  Maybe lying was the wrong word--I'm not going to filter talk about triathlon or any other hobby when it's relevant to the conversation.  Why should I?

2013-05-28 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

It's not lying, just some people are overly dramatic about it. Somebody asks me how my day at work is and I say okay, yet there were highs and lows, does saying okay mean I'm lying? Am I suppose to go into detail about my day to avoid 'lying'? Here' s the definition to help:

lying
Use Lying in a sentence
ly·ing1 [lahy-ing] Show IPA
noun
the telling of lies, or false statements; untruthfulness: From boyhood, he has never been good at lying. Synonyms: falsehood, falsity, mendacity, prevarication. Antonyms: truth, veracity.
adjective
telling or containing lies; deliberately untruthful; deceitful; false: a lying report. Synonyms: deceptive, misleading, mendacious, fallacious; sham, counterfeit. Antonyms: true, candid, actual, correct, accurate, trustworthy.
2013-05-28 8:24 PM

User image

Not sure if you're responding to my original post or not, but I think it was clear I was not rubbing anything in anyone's faces.  In addition, I did not speak negatively about their drinking wine and watching TV; I was providing a sampling of the responses I got (I personally watch as much TV as I can with 2 kids <10yrs old--hockey, soccer, swimming, tennis, lacrosse..., wife >10yrs old, dog, constant house upkeep/remodeling, work, training, etc).  I completely agree with your self-assessment in that I don't care what people think because I enjoy what I'm doing and know it's great for my health and better than the majority of things I could be doing.  Glad to see you're also comfortable with yourself and your activities.  Makes life easier, doesn't it?

2013-05-28 8:39 PM

User image

I think you're taking the comments of your friends and family way too seriously and personally. If one of my friends told me they decided to devote 10-15 hours a week of their free time to learn how to play the piano, with their goal to become a middle of the road amateur piano player in 4-5 years, I too would say they are wasting their time, and start making jokes about them. Doesn't mean I should be taken seriously, and that I have some sort of jealousy, negativity, or disdain for their new hobby. It's simply something I wouldn't do myself and I don't understand.

It's human nature to make fun of the things we can't comprehend. I make fun of almost half of the Olympic sports because I simply don't "get" them. It doesn't mean I'm right, or should be taken seriously by those who do participate in those sports.
2013-05-28 8:52 PM
in reply to: tri808

User image

Originally posted by tri808 I think you're taking the comments of your friends and family way too seriously and personally. If one of my friends told me they decided to devote 10-15 hours a week of their free time to learn how to play the piano, with their goal to become a middle of the road amateur piano player in 4-5 years, I too would say they are wasting their time, and start making jokes about them. Doesn't mean I should be taken seriously, and that I have some sort of jealousy, negativity, or disdain for their new hobby. It's simply something I wouldn't do myself and I don't understand. It's human nature to make fun of the things we can't comprehend. I make fun of almost half of the Olympic sports because I simply don't "get" them. It doesn't mean I'm right, or should be taken seriously by those who do participate in those sports.

In my original post, I listed a sampling of responses I had received. when a group found out I was planning to attempt a couple triathlons.  I then went on to ask what other responses people have gotten (positive or negative) because I was curious.  I have said the responses did not bother me.  Many missed that.  I apologize to all that the intent of my original post was not clear.  That is my fault for not being a competent communicator.  I think it's probably time to put this one to rest.  I will attempt to make any future questions more clear and less inflammatory.  Thank you all for your input.

2013-05-28 11:22 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by dbrook1

Hi.  I just came from a "family" gathering (not really family, but as close as you can get without being blood).  One of the gals was joking about Speedos and I said I bought one the other day.  She thought I was kidding but my wife confirmed it with the mention that it was actually more like bike shorts.  She (my wife) then said I was planning on doing a couple tris this summer.  The reaction was surprisingly, unanimously negative.  Not just in a kidding way but basically calling me an idiot--Why would you do that? Why waste your time? What's the point? Have fun wasting all that time while I'm sitting on the couch with a glass of wine? etc.  Now let me say this didn't bother me in the least because I dish it out plenty, have very thick skin, and have no need to justify what I'm doing (even though I think I could have pretty easily).  I was however very surprised at this negative response and it led me to wonder what the responses are that you all get/got.  Sarcasm?  Incredulity?  Negativity?  Admiration?  Jealousy?  All of the above?

Duane

Sorry, never had that reaction from anyone,especially family.

But then again, I'm a triathlete because it makes me happy. I'm not seeking approval.

2013-05-29 12:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tonight I trained for 2 hours, drank 3 bottles of wine, watched 4 "My Three Sons" reruns, and then called some people I haven't seen for years and told them all about my escapades (is that a word??).  One said he didn't care, one said i sounded like a drunk, one said I needed to back away from the remote, and one, a girl, said that if I was working out that much every day I was welcome to come over.  In the end, I drank another bottle of wine, watched the third period of the LA/San Jose hockey game, ate 3 twinkies and 2 ice cream sandwiches, did 2 push ups and a sit up and called it a night. I was more wore out then this thread.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-05-29 12:07 AM
2013-05-29 4:25 AM
in reply to: guppie58

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by guppie58

It's not lying, just some people are overly dramatic about it. Somebody asks me how my day at work is and I say okay, yet there were highs and lows, does saying okay mean I'm lying? Am I suppose to go into detail about my day to avoid 'lying'? Here' s the definition to help: lying Use Lying in a sentence ly·ing1 [lahy-ing] Show IPA noun 1. the telling of lies, or false statements; untruthfulness: From boyhood, he has never been good at lying. Synonyms: falsehood, falsity, mendacity, prevarication. Antonyms: truth, veracity. adjective 2. telling or containing lies; deliberately untruthful; deceitful; false: a lying report. Synonyms: deceptive, misleading, mendacious, fallacious; sham, counterfeit. Antonyms: true, candid, actual, correct, accurate, trustworthy.

It seems you missed my post above.  But thanks for clarifying the definition of the word lying for me.  Love it when people do that.

If you just spent the day busting your a$$ racing, or training hard for an upcoming race for which you are super excited and that race or training session pretty much consumed your whole day(s) and is at the forefront of your brain.......and someone asks, "what did you do today?".......and you say "nothing" because you're worried that the person really doesn't like or care about races and training........yes, that can absolutely qualify as a lie of omission.  Perhaps look up lie of omission and come back to me.

And, you can talk about racing and/or training without being overly dramatic as you say.  My point simply: being super duper into a sport and really passionate about it (or any hobby) then purposefully avoiding ever talking about it in mixed company because someone else might not like it just seems dumb.

2013-05-29 8:48 AM

User image

New user

Sioux Falls, SD
and, to think no one has taken the tangential approach about the difference between a speedo and a Speedo. ;-)

That would have diffused the entire discussion in the OP...
2013-05-29 9:33 AM

Veteran

Haters will be haters. I would have knocked her off her high horse and just took one simple shot below the belt. Example: "I thought about just sitting on the couch, drinking, and watching tv..... but I noticed you have been looking kind of soft and pudgy lately... especially around your thighs and hips....so I went with the exercising option instead." You would most likely get a deer in the headlights look as her response. But I garuntee she will never make a comment about your training/exercising again...... as well as any other women in hearing distance.

As for the guy haters I would just say that I am confident wearing a speedo because my package is so big. 

2013-05-29 10:20 AM

User image

Pro

It's not lying, just some people are overly dramatic about it. Somebody asks me how my day at work is and I say okay, yet there were highs and lows, does saying okay mean I'm lying? Am I suppose to go into detail about my day to avoid 'lying'? Here' s the definition to help: lying Use Lying in a sentence ly·ing1 [lahy-ing] Show IPA noun 1. the telling of lies, or false statements; untruthfulness: From boyhood, he has never been good at lying. Synonyms: falsehood, falsity, mendacity, prevarication. Antonyms: truth, veracity. adjective 2. telling or containing lies; deliberately untruthful; deceitful; false: a lying report. Synonyms: deceptive, misleading, mendacious, fallacious; sham, counterfeit. Antonyms: true, candid, actual, correct, accurate, trustworthy.

It seems you missed my post above.  But thanks for clarifying the definition of the word lying for me.  Love it when people do that.

If you just spent the day busting your a$$ racing, or training hard for an upcoming race for which you are super excited and that race or training session pretty much consumed your whole day(s) and is at the forefront of your brain.......and someone asks, "what did you do today?".......and you say "nothing" because you're worried that the person really doesn't like or care about races and training........yes, that can absolutely qualify as a lie of omission.  Perhaps look up lie of omission and come back to me.

And, you can talk about racing and/or training without being overly dramatic as you say.  My point simply: being super duper into a sport and really passionate about it (or any hobby) then purposefully avoiding ever talking about it in mixed company because someone else might not like it just seems dumb.

Good point.  From now on when someone asked me what I did after I've spent the day busting my arse racing or training I'm going to say, "something".  Laughing 

Look, I have no worry that they don't like or care about racing or training....I just don't want to talk about it.  I don't want to answer questions about it.  I don't want to explain it, and I damn sure don't want to hear anything about it.  I'll talk about my kids all day....but I'm not interested in talking about what I did.

2013-05-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by MOlsen

"I did a marathon once. I think it was a 10k."

While not quite that bad, after my last triathlon (short course mountain bike sprint) a friend said "Congrats on your marathon!"  When I started to explain the differences, especially the distances involved, she basically said "don't belittle your accomplishment, it's still more than I could do".

LOL.  My MIL will occasionally ask me if I'm doing another "mini marathon".  I gave up trying to explain it to her years ago.

Mark

2013-05-29 10:28 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

Generally people are very positive about what I do.  Many have even said it's inspirational and I know with a few people (my sisters in particular) they've been able to get into it doing half marathons and other run races.

The funniest though was a colleague who asked me basically why on earth I would want to do an ironman as I was gushing about training for it - and lots of people I wouldn't talk to about it but the kicker is she's a marathoner.  I thought of all people she would understand and had just spent time telling me about doing the NYC Marathon.  

You just never know who will think it's awesome and who will be scratching their head. 

Since she's a marathoner, she knows how hard it is to run a marathon.  The idea of swimming 2.4 miles and riding 112 miles before running a marathon is more daunting to her than it is to a couch dweller.

2013-05-29 10:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Left Brain

Good point.  From now on when someone asked me what I did after I've spent the day busting my arse racing or training I'm going to say, "something".  Laughing 

Look, I have no worry that they don't like or care about racing or training....I just don't want to talk about it.  I don't want to answer questions about it.  I don't want to explain it, and I damn sure don't want to hear anything about it.  I'll talk about my kids all day....but I'm not interested in talking about what I did.

Exactly, and if you were in company that may or may not care to hear about your kids activities you would STILL talk about it because that's what you're passionate about, regardless of the response you might get.  Thanks for making my point for me LB Wink

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Very negative response Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Possible To Negative Split Ironman Run? Pages: 1 2 3

Started by JM2
Views: 4715 Posts: 52

2013-03-11 2:55 PM LSUfan4444

Duct Tape - any negatives for blister protection?

Started by musicmcb
Views: 6907 Posts: 23

2021-04-29 9:45 AM Biker2020

Solely training OWS - any negatives??? Pages: 1 2

Started by crazyprof40
Views: 1920 Posts: 30

2011-06-21 12:30 PM H20 Killer

late hills vs negative split...run training

Started by BoobieDr
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2011-03-17 1:08 AM linfieldpt

Starting Negative split training

Started by harlequinduck
Views: 1169 Posts: 14

2011-03-04 10:58 PM harlequinduck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 17, 2008
Most coaches will agree that negative splitting is the way to go, ideally, to reach a personal best. But does the strategy really work for all?
date : February 12, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Negative splitting is a learned skill, and can be a valuable tool to use in virtually any race situation. Employing Negative Split workouts in your training can improve your racing.

date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Males should be screened from their twenties onward with a fasting lipid profile to assess overall cardiovascular disease risk.