General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where should we move/ Where do you love to live? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-05-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: matcrawf

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Subject: RE: Where should we move/ Where do you love to live?
Originally posted by matcrawf

Melbourne Australia is amazing. I moved here from Chicago a year ago and couldn't be happier.

Great lifestyle, perfect weather (although Aussies will tell you otherwise), amazing training.

I'm dreading moving back to Chicago, and will also be looking for a new "home" after this assignment..

Sorry for the slight hijack but I've often thought of working abroad. For those that are doing it or have, how did it come about?

Meaning did you work for a company that had foreign locations or did you get recruited for it or did you specifically look to work in a particular part of the world and set out to find a job there?

My youngest child will be out of the house in the next five years and I'm not SO old that I couldn't make a major relocation...

Thanks

2013-05-29 11:07 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I would give just about anything to move back to Colorado.  That place was made for me.  Thanks God.

The only place he dropped the ball?  Not putting an ocean somewhere near the state...  Then it would be PERFECT.

Edited by Kido 2013-05-29 11:08 AM
2013-05-29 1:09 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

New user
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Carrick1973 Personally, I'm looking at either Tampa, FL or Asheville (or Raliegh), NC area since we're in Rochester, NY, and can't stand the long winter weather where we don't get enough snow to snow-shoe or cross-country ski, but it's too cold to bike outside for 5 months of the year. There are benefits to both places, but I'm afraid Tampa is just too darn hot for many months in the summer, but it does have a great tri community, and Clermont, Florida is not too far away where the tri life is top-notch. The benefit of Tampa is good housing prices, lower taxes, great weather for 8 months of the year, and OWS right in the gulf. Here's the data on Asheville: http://www.city-data.com/city/Asheville-North-Carolina.htmland here's the data on Tampa: http://www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.htmlBTW - that website has a wealth of information, so make sure you use that resource, as it's been great help to us in our decision making process.

I've been in Sarasota, an hour south of Tampa for the last 27 years, but lived in Brockport, NY, just west of Rochester, for a few years prior to moving here.

It does get hot here in the summer, but to me it's just another incentive to get up early and train before it warms up too much.  Having the warm and relatively calm Gulf of Mexico handy for OWS is great. 

It's great to be able to train outdoors 12 months out of the year.  The one thing we lack for training are hills.  We have to make due with either doing repeats back and forth over the Ringling bridge over Sarasota Bay or making the trek up to the Clermont area on the weekend.

All that being said, I enjoyed my time in Brockport (except for the taxes).  We did a lot of cross country skiiing during the winter and I managed to run outside most of the year (as long as the roads were plowed). 

Mark

Mark,
We are looking at the Lutz area, as well as the Starkey Park area, since there is so much wilderness and great long bike rides right out the back door it seems. Can you provide me information on what long rides are available where I won't get run over every time I go out? Any long rail-to-trail rides or long trails where you can cruise readily with ease? Also, how accessible is the gulf to OWS? When we were there, we didn't get to the beaches, as we didn't have much time, and I can't really tell from google maps if it's easy to just put on a wetsuit and start swimming.

Thanks,
Steve
2013-05-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: Carrick1973

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

There's one place in Texas that might be liberal enough for you: Austin.  The hills are beautiful, great culture, great food.  Too hot there for my taste, but if you're looking for warmer it definitely has that too.

Price-wise, i don't think that all of California is out.  If I can believe House Hunters, anything a ways from the ocean (hour or more) and it's more affordable.  Although that information about the government, taxes, etc. is compelling.

Good luck and have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where should we move/ Where do you love to live? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

They died doing what the love...

Started by zaugfear
Views: 2330 Posts: 13

2013-02-20 8:29 AM Danielfberlin

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2100 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Has anyone done SINGAPORE 70.3??? would love some feedback

Started by nicknewie1983
Views: 940 Posts: 7

2010-11-06 8:11 PM nicknewie1983

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1656 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Moving up to Sprints Next Year - What should I be doing Offseason?

Started by nerak11
Views: 703 Posts: 3

2009-09-08 1:59 PM lengthcroft
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : December 22, 2008
author : ecnefoop
comments : 9
I had been very fit until I turned the legal age for the two demons: drinking and smoking. Unfortunately, from my 18th birthday, my once fit swimmer's body went downhill and wide very fast.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : July 2, 2006
author : Ontherun
Gut check! Striking a balance between your two loves can make and keep the relationship strong.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
comments : 1
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports