General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing run sessions - best way to do so? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 8:04 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Subject: Replacing run sessions - best way to do so?
I am currently injured with a pelvic stress fracture and after three months of just doing swimming and biking plus strength/ core for the heck of it and to keep my fitness up, I've decided I need the motivation of some sort of structured plan. I've decided to start training for the Chesapeakeman, and will likely end up doing the Aquabike since my recovery timeline is so long, but who knows -- I may be able to get in enough running by the end of September. I haven't registered yet and if the doctor puts the squash on my training I haven't lost any registration fees. I can always postpone and do Beach to Battleship as well.

Anyhow, I'm loosely following a low volume training plan (this race would not be for a personal record -- just something to get me mentally through this injury, since running is my favorite of the three sports.) How would you go about replacing the runs for the time being? Just add more cycling? Most of what I do is on a trainer.

Thanks in advance.

2013-05-27 8:50 PM
in reply to: zenetanar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
Subject: RE: Replacing run sessions - best way to do so?
Im on the elliptical right now instead of running. I have had plantars for 9 months now. I have no problem on elliptical and when i do run i can still run ok.

2013-05-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Originally posted by zenetanar

I am currently injured with a pelvic stress fracture and after three months of just doing swimming and biking plus strength/ core for the heck of it and to keep my fitness up, I've decided I need the motivation of some sort of structured plan. I've decided to start training for the Chesapeakeman, and will likely end up doing the Aquabike since my recovery timeline is so long, but who knows -- I may be able to get in enough running by the end of September. I haven't registered yet and if the doctor puts the squash on my training I haven't lost any registration fees. I can always postpone and do Beach to Battleship as well.

Anyhow, I'm loosely following a low volume training plan (this race would not be for a personal record -- just something to get me mentally through this injury, since running is my favorite of the three sports.) How would you go about replacing the runs for the time being? Just add more cycling? Most of what I do is on a trainer.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried Aqua Jogging? I did some of that while recovering from a shoulder injury (was not allowed to do any impact sports for a while). It is excellent for maintaining the muscular endurance of running w/out impact. Boring as all heck, so you definitely need a water proof mp3 player or something. I got one called uwaterg4 (google that if you are interested in a cheap little player to get you through!)
Good Luck!

PS: I used the Speedo Aqua Belt. And you need deep water for it. Nice thing is you can easily combine it with your swim workouts and spend hours at the pool.

Edited by keyone 2013-05-27 9:23 PM
2013-05-27 9:32 PM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Fairfax, VA
I've done some aquajogging. I wasn't sure if this was any more effective than cycling, though.
2013-05-30 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Originally posted by zenetanar

I've done some aquajogging. I wasn't sure if this was any more effective than cycling, though.

Not sure, it's definitely harder for me, and way more boring! Good luck!
2013-05-31 6:01 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
If you want to use it for run training, go with pool running, for sure.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Replacing run sessions - best way to do so? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best ways to increase biking speed Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Jasonhomey
Views: 9256 Posts: 144

2013-04-26 11:57 AM ChrisM

Whats your best ways of saving time during a training program

Started by kocourek
Views: 1757 Posts: 21

2011-10-13 3:55 PM kocourek

Ways to show offhow good your really are.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Thaitri
Views: 4299 Posts: 44

2010-08-18 10:32 AM thegoddess

Best ways to improve swim?

Started by Iowa Action
Views: 2175 Posts: 16

2009-05-05 10:58 PM AdventureBear

Best ways to increase leg strength?

Started by Cyclingmaniac
Views: 2014 Posts: 20

2007-05-14 6:41 PM Cyclingmaniac
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 21, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
How and when to include speed sessions, tempo training and hill training into your running program.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : May 21, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
If you are a fitness exerciser, you are unlikely to need extra electrolytes to replace those lost in sweat. If you exercise hard for more than four hours in the heat, replacment may be needed.

date : December 20, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.