General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clincher vs. Tubular Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 8:17 PM

User image

Lexington, SC
Subject: Clincher vs. Tubular
I am in the market for a new wheel set and can't decide if I should purchase a clincher or tubular set. I have riden both but have never owned either. I understand that both have their advantages and disadvantages but I would like some real life advice. Not that it matters but I'm 6'4' and weigh 195-200 pounds. Also, I know that most would say that Zipps are the standard but they are out of my price and ability range. (I'm a MOP) Does anyone have another wheel manufacturing preference? I appreciate your advice and hope you all have a successful race season.

2013-05-27 8:54 PM
in reply to: clfarmer

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Clincher vs. Tubular
I would completely forget about tubulars. They are a PITA if you have a life outside of messing with your cycling equipment. Full carbon vs. aluminum with carbon faring is the new debate. I like full carbon.

IMHO wheel choice is really more about what looks best on your bike. Once you get a good set of aero wheels over box wheels you will discover there is very little difference between the different aero wheels. Not as deep is more stable in windy conditions but big guys can pretty much go as deep as they want.

There are a lot of Chinese knock-offs being rebranded. They really aren't bad. If I was looking for a new set of wheels I would consider the Karbon Speed sponsorship program.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clincher vs. Tubular Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TOTW Training vs Racing: Which do you prefer?

Started by krazytallchick
Views: 586 Posts: 6

2013-02-08 7:07 AM RKornackiPSU

Tri C'town half vs White Lake half

Started by titeloops
Views: 1680 Posts: 5

2011-01-06 2:18 PM Lukester1980

Running cap vs. visor... which do you prefer?

Started by rachellangelotti
Views: 8615 Posts: 8

2009-05-08 8:02 AM runnergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2012
author : KarbonSpeed
comments : 2
"These wheels are really fast and we can prove it with our tests from the A2 Wind Tunnel. We developed an ultra-fast modified V-Notch rim shape which keeps drag to an minimum."

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.
date : April 14, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.

date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.