General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS disoriented, losing balance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-28 6:49 AM

User image

New user

Subject: OWS disoriented, losing balance
Good morning, I will cut to the point.
I live up in Canada, and I did my first ever OWS this past weekend.
Had on my wetsuit and away we went, water was very cold. Every now and then I would stand up in the shallow part of the lake for a quick breather and couldn't maintain my balance, and I was very disoriented.
Each time I would stop for a little breather (standing up in the shallow part) I couldn't keep by balance.

The water temp was roughly 41 F so about 5 C (for us Canadians)

now I didn't use ear plugs, would this be the issue ?

Or would it be the cold water temp and not using the ear plugs ?

It was probably 10-15 mins after my swim where I felt comfortable and wasn't wobbly walking around.

Thanks

2013-05-28 6:59 AM
in reply to: egger29

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: OWS disoriented, losing balance
41F?! I use earplugs in any temp. 41 degrees......man.
2013-05-28 7:03 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

New user

If I waited for the water temp to be ideal for an OWS, then the tri season would be half over, haha.

When you used the ear plugs, does that help you with the disorientation/balance ?
2013-05-28 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I always wear earplugs, and the times I've tried not wearing them, I've gotten dizzy. I can't say this is why you got that way, but I know that it affects me. It's worth a shot, I'd say.
2013-05-28 7:33 AM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Earplugs.

2013-05-28 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

It should very much help with the problem.  The cold water induces what is called a vestibular nystagmus, which causes the imbalanced feeling.  I use ear plugs all the time, always keep them with my goggles.  Some work better than others.  I found the ones that you can mold specifically for my ears to be the best.  They don't pop out.  With those frigid water temps you should probably invest in a good pair.

Good luck.

Check these out.

http://www.fullsource.com/radians-cep001-r/

2013-05-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: bgeyeguy

User image

Extreme Veteran
^ Agree. I have the Mack's AquaBlock earplugs. $5 for 2 pair. The pressure from the swimcap was too much until I cut the tips a little.
2013-05-28 3:18 PM

User image

Pro
I just went through this at a HIM on the 19th in 60 degree water. It's really unsettling! I felt like I was rolling all over, like I imagine motion sickness would feel.

I'm going to try the earplugs, too. Good luck.
2013-05-28 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
What lake did you swim in? We just had all that cold rain. Find when Taliman is set up for long course (50m) & swim there for the next month, I'm tough and can still swim very fast at 10-11 C but listen to me... 5 C is a waste of your training time.
2013-05-28 9:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by egger29

If I waited for the water temp to be ideal for an OWS, then the tri season would be half over, haha.

When you used the ear plugs, does that help you with the disorientation/balance ?

Why risk your health and safety ? Wait for it to get to 12 C and swim to your hearts content. Please say this was not Ghost Lake.
2013-05-28 9:55 PM

User image

Calgary, AB
Sounds to me like the disorientation happened before the decision to swim in 5C water...  Smile

2013-05-28 10:03 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Regular
NSW
Originally posted by Hoos

Sounds to me like the disorientation happened before the decision to swim in 5C water...  Smile

love this......I hestitate when its under 18c
2013-05-28 10:40 PM

User image

Canyon, Texas
Don't stand up, just keep swimming. Problem solved

Just kidding, I know for me, choppy waters sure me me dizzy and cold water does compound it.
2013-05-28 11:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona
Anything that stops cold water getting into your inner ears will really help with dizziness and disorientation, and the colder the water the worse the effect. Therefore, ear plugs are really great for this.

All the women in my family have a birth defect with our inner ear balance canals, so we get this horrible dizzy spells every now and again. I was extensively tested when I was in my 20's, where they first squirted warm water in each of my ears individually and monitored my eye movement. Then they moved to cold water into my ears, and "oh boy"!!!!! My eye movement went off-the-charts, I turned very very green, and lets just say that a bucket was required.

I always wear ear plugs when the water is below 60°F, they really help. But I know that I have an inner ear problem, plus I've turned into a real cold-wimp living in Arizona for the last 6 years.

41°F/5°C - wow that's sooooooo cold!!!!
2013-05-29 1:01 AM
in reply to: bgeyeguy

User image

Huntsville, AL
Originally posted by bgeyeguy

It should very much help with the problem.  The cold water induces what is called a vestibular nystagmus, which causes the imbalanced feeling.  I use ear plugs all the time, always keep them with my goggles.  Some work better than others.  I found the ones that you can mold specifically for my ears to be the best.  They don't pop out.  With those frigid water temps you should probably invest in a good pair.

Good luck.

Check these out.

http://www.fullsource.com/radians-cep001-r/

I 100% agree with this person. I had same issue in doing OWS practice this spring with water temp below 65 F (and only when water was below 65F). I asked an experienced swim coach about it. She stated in layman's terms that cold water can affect eardrums, and to go buy some silicone plugs. I came home and researched it, found all the medical reasons supporting both my experience and what coach said. Bought plugs, put them in and issue when away. Over 65F I don't need them. But under 65F, I'm feel like I am "three sheets to the wind" punch drunk. Good wishes.
2013-05-29 7:02 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

New user

Originally posted by simpsonbo

What lake did you swim in? We just had all that cold rain. Find when Taliman is set up for long course (50m) & swim there for the next month, I'm tough and can still swim very fast at 10-11 C but listen to me... 5 C is a waste of your training time.

I was at Lake Sundance. Yeah, 5 C was cold. My body felt fine, but my hands, feet, and head were cold. I may wait a few weeks before the next one.
I have been to Ghost many times, I know not to swim in that lake at anytime ! Clean, but cold !

2013-05-29 7:08 AM

User image

New user

so the 2 things I have learned from this post is get the h*ll out of the water if it is less than 12 C, and buy earplugs.
haha.
On a side note, I loved swimming in the wetsuit, thet buoyancy that comes with wearing the suit was amazing.

now off to try and track down some radians silicone plugs.
2013-05-29 7:28 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I did my first OWS in the Savannah River yesterday and experienced horrible motion sickness as well. I have a history of nausea and water...when I used to SCUBA dive, the only time I wasn't throwing up was when I was more than 10 feet under the water. The moment I came near the surface and felt the ocean swells, I was a goner. Living on a boat for 3 days wasn't a fun experience.

I was pretty saddened yesterday when I experienced that same nausea with just the current and wake of a few jetskis during 30 minutes in the water.

The water was chilly (67F), but not horribly cold. I'll try the earplugs, but if it's truly motion sickness, what really does help? I'd prefer not to have to take dramamine (it never really helped on a boat while diving in the past).

I can't imagine riding a bike for 50+ miles feeling the way I did after getting out of the water yesterday.
2013-05-29 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
5C is pretty cold and if something happens and you are alone CFD and CPS are fishing your blue body out. It will warm up in the next 3 weeks or so and you should be good to go.
2013-05-29 1:20 PM
in reply to: flossybach

User image

Veteran
Great White North
We have to swim below 18C... some lakes never go over that ever here. Banff Tri is 10-14C depending on the year. We are close to the mountains and many of our water bodies are glacier fed.
2013-08-13 2:17 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

New user

Just thought I would give an update here...I ended up buying the radians ear plugs, and they have worked great.
You mold them into your ear and then they set like that. So you can use them over and over without having to re-mold the plugs.

My last OWS during the summer I had these in and had no issues at all, no disorientation, dizziness or anything. Now I use them everytime I go swimming.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS disoriented, losing balance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long swim and being disoriented

Started by Rover24
Views: 1009 Posts: 6

2011-09-19 11:02 AM ebesaw

Disoriented at Transitions

Started by sty
Views: 700 Posts: 4

2005-01-10 8:48 PM sty

bike balance - drinking and glasses

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1034 Posts: 11

2004-05-19 5:47 AM ginger ninja

Karmic balance

Started by westfried
Views: 592 Posts: 2

2004-04-20 7:30 PM COgirl

Question on the "16 Week Sprint - 3x Balanced" program

Started by Hogskin
Views: 1002 Posts: 5

2004-03-22 3:48 PM Nancytris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.
date : April 9, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I am training for my first IM and lately I have been getting cramps in my calves. I am a heavy salt sweater and I was wondering if that has anything to do with it?

date : March 20, 2005
author : chrisandniki
Yoga’s something where one stands in a bizarre and ridiculous pose, listening to new age music, right? Wrong! Check out this primer for beginners.
date : February 28, 2005
author : mamakt
Be a better mother/wife/employee by putting yourself first.

date : October 10, 2004
author : adrianogier
Your programme was a great help in getting my training organised and balanced. Your web site has been a great help.