Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Milton Sprint Triathlon - Run Portion Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-28 4:35 PM

User image

Subject: Milton Sprint Triathlon - Run Portion
Hello everyone

Doing this race (sprint) for the first time this weekend

Did the Try-a Tri last year and am familiar with the bike and swim but not the run

Any words of wisdom would help

Thanks is advance

Jean

2013-05-29 6:35 AM
in reply to: JTTRIHRD

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Milton Sprint Triathlon - Run Portion
as long as they haven't changed the run course - short steep hill out of transition, then relatively flat for a couple of km, downhill a bit, then a long uphill (probably close to a km, but not too steep. At the top, you to a loop in the conservation area and then back to the start - except you don't have to run back down the short steep hill. Mix of trails and paved roads.
2013-05-29 10:48 AM

Regular
Guelph, ON
This is a nasty little run course. If you remember one thing: it's uphill for the first half, downhill for the second half.

The run starts with a stupid little steep hill right out of transition. The first 1.5km are net uphill on a gravel/bark trail- it can be bumpy with puddles. The next 1km follows Appleby Line and #5, again slightly uphill and unpleasant. Once you enter Hilton Falls, there’s a steep 50m or so on dirt on after you enter the woods. It flattens out for a bit, and the course loops (so you can’t see the runners coming the other way) for about 1km. Trails are in nice shape and it is much cooler in the woods. There’s another hill near the midway point, and that's it for the tough stuff. The rest is mostly downhill and pretty fast. The one exception is an underpass and on Appleby and a few little just before you turn back into Kelso. The second half is quick, and if you have your legs after the first half you can make up for lost time.

FYI, the bike is the same pattern- net uphill until you turn from #20 onto Fifth Line. The second half is very quick. The course is only about 29km.

Good luck, this is a tough little sprint but a really great race.
2013-05-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: KKoole

User image

Well Thank you both

The picture you see is me coming up that stupid hill after transition - I hate that hill - cut the pace right up..

First time doing the 'try a tri' last year - came in second in age group - 45-49... never saw thet guys that came ahead of me...

Either one of you doing it?

Thank you again

Jean
2013-05-29 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Ya, there is one steep hill up and one steep hill down. Just take your time and know that once you get to the top of the bottom that it will be flat-ish. Good luck!
2013-05-29 2:18 PM
in reply to: KKoole

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by KKoole

This is a nasty little run course. If you remember one thing: it's uphill for the first half, downhill for the second half.

The run starts with a stupid little steep hill right out of transition. The first 1.5km are net uphill on a gravel/bark trail- it can be bumpy with puddles. The next 1km follows Appleby Line and #5, again slightly uphill and unpleasant. Once you enter Hilton Falls, there’s a steep 50m or so on dirt on after you enter the woods. It flattens out for a bit, and the course loops (so you can’t see the runners coming the other way) for about 1km. Trails are in nice shape and it is much cooler in the woods. There’s another hill near the midway point, and that's it for the tough stuff. The rest is mostly downhill and pretty fast. The one exception is an underpass and on Appleby and a few little just before you turn back into Kelso. The second half is quick, and if you have your legs after the first half you can make up for lost time.

FYI, the bike is the same pattern- net uphill until you turn from #20 onto Fifth Line. The second half is very quick. The course is only about 29km.

Good luck, this is a tough little sprint but a really great race.

This is a great description - and accurate. I ran most of the course last week to remind myself what I was in for on Sunday.

2013-05-29 5:37 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Thank you

Rest the legs and go go gadget on Sunday

See you there Neil

JT
2013-06-02 6:08 PM

User image

Thanks for the information once again

Despite the weird weather we had all day, this even is a 'must do' again

Did well in the swim - had a great bike (hit 82kph down 6th Line before the rain got to me)

The run was very hard but I finished under my expected time

Got to do more Brick sessions and practice swim to bike transitions...

Happy Training

Jean
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Milton Sprint Triathlon - Run Portion Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Milton Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Chantal13
Views: 6307 Posts: 49

2012-06-06 12:44 PM winter_mute

Ontario Women's Triathlon Series - Milton (Sprint) : Official Thread

Started by TriCan
Views: 1831 Posts: 7

2010-09-05 2:19 PM mbasta

Womens' Triathlon - Milton (Kelso) Sep 6th

Started by nerak11
Views: 2648 Posts: 22

2009-09-08 11:25 AM juniperjen

Milton triathlon

Started by mellymedic
Views: 1562 Posts: 18

2009-06-03 10:04 AM Bopper

Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by jknapman
Views: 2874 Posts: 21

2007-05-22 5:05 PM jknapman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : blitzney
comments : 1
Home for the summer, lab tech college student trains and completes first triathlon!

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : August 13, 2008
author : SmBkRn450
comments : 1
A friend of mine asked me to run for her in a sprint triathlon. I agreed, but I continued to regret it, as I had been training for nothing longer than 400 m for the past three months.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 0
A compilation from the old site.
date : August 29, 2004
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.