General Discussion Race Reports! » CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 37s
Overall Rank = 41/76
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up at our regular time, 4:30 for this race, and made coffee. I had a really hard time eating anything. My usual breakfast is something like a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter, but I could not even get two bites in. I made it into a PBJ and wrapped it up, hoping I could eat it on the way. Ate a banana instead.

We were taking the kids with us this time, so we spent the rest of the time waking them and getting them fed a bit and settled in the car.
Event warmup:

Since Emily was with us, she helped get the kids out and carried the chairs and towels over to an area where they wanted to sit. Andreas and I walked our bikes over after pumping up the tires at the car. We racked in different areas - I went much further toward the water exit this time, row 13. Spent a bit of time talking to people and walking around, then we both walked over to talk to the kids. That was when the first wave was starting, so we headed back to get in with our waves.
Swim
  • 11m 26s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt zero nerves before the swim. Since I have been swimming 3x per week, I was actually really looking forward to the swim leg. The water was plenty warm, too. When my wave started, I stayed out to the left of the clockwise rectangle, but sited pretty well so that I would angle in and not really swim much farther because of starting to the side like that. I think I only had one major course correction in there, otherwise, siting was good. The first long segment of the swim out to the first buoy was a little tiring, I could feel that I wasn't warmed up and was maybe over-compensating and not carrying through with my stroke. After the first turn, I felt myself get into the groove and it was smooth swimming from there on out. Surprisingly, I was even passing people (a very new experience for me!) and don't recall even getting passed by the wave behind, though I might have.
What would you do differently?:

I can't think of anything right now. This was my best swim, from siting to pacing, it all felt good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Jogged to my transition area, towelled off a bit. I tried to balance myself on the bar so that I could towel off my feet - I do always feel a little dizzy after the swim. I got my socks and shoes on, got a good few sips of gatorade (that bottle wasn't on the bike, only water), grabbed my helmet and glasses and trotted off.

I just need to streamline my T1 and T2. Maybe not towel off? Not drink? I don't know yet.
Bike
  • 41m 34s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

What do I recall.... first, I remember passing several ladies and thinking that maybe I was catching some people who were ahead of me in my wave. I was also passed by a lot of men and some fast women. I tried to keep people in my sights and maintain the distance, not let them pull away. I had a few drinks from my water bottle and kept the effort steady.

On the way back, right before we turn off Folly Road, a lady I had passed early on passed me. That gave me a kick in the pants, because I thought her pace was much slower than mine -- obviously not! Either I had slowed considerably out on Folly Rd. or she had picked it up. I kept her in my sights, though, and passed her again in the last few miles. I actually felt best in these last few miles, very peppy and full of energy.

Ride more. Better fitness would give me more confidence to put in a greater effort throughout.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Run
  • 29m 37s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 54s  min/km
Comments:

The first mile was relatively plodding. I felt pretty tired in the second mile - even had to take a few steps walking for a breather. I just gave myself a little pep talk and got back to it. The last mile was actually my best, by far. On that out and back portion to the main road, I am usually feeling super tired and can't wait for the race to be over, but this time, I couldn't believe how much energy I had. I sprinted pretty early and had no problem carrying it through to the end.

My time was not good.

Couple things - I think my six miler the day before might have tired my legs a bit for today's race. Obviously I needed longer to get warmed up, and once I was warmed up, I was able to perform better.
Post race
Warm down:

Got several cups of water/gatorade mix. I had a good feeling because I actually beat my husband in - that never happens! It turns out we were only 3 minutes apart in our chip times. I asked my family to stay for awards because I didn't see so many people in my age group - I knew of 2 ahead of me... but it did turn out that I had placed 3rd, so that was awesome :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No bike training.

Event comments:

Great series!

Last updated: 2013-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:26 | 600 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 29/76
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:34 | 12 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 42/76
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:37 | 05 kms | 05m 54s  min/km
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 54/76
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-05-29 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

2013-05-30 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4760081

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1
Melissa nice job getting on the podium!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5: Series Championship

Started by melanfi
Views: 1253 Posts: 1

2011-08-17 10:16 AM melanfi

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #5: Series Championship

Started by Wesley12
Views: 1080 Posts: 1

2011-08-14 9:10 PM Wesley12

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by kwc98
Views: 1505 Posts: 1

2010-05-25 5:57 AM kwc98

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 (Triathlon - Sprint)

Started by b2673ad
Views: 2049 Posts: 4

2010-06-01 11:23 AM drphungky

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

Started by redpony
Views: 1384 Posts: 1

2006-08-12 7:19 PM redpony
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 12 week, 1 race plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.