General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The art of the transition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-29 6:05 PM

Subject: The art of the transition
So I really want to get my transitions down pat-- I'm giving away too much free time with them. I know practice, practice, practice, but I'd love to watch someone who is really good at transitions and see how they do it. Only problem is that if there's a local race, I'm not going to skip it just to watch. Any good videos to watch a smooth, fast transition?

2013-05-29 6:55 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mendenhall, MS
Subject: RE: The art of the transition
I know a guy who has a Transition area at there house to practice on. I thought about it myself.
2013-05-29 7:26 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I hope someone has some good vid recommendations.

I volunteered at a duathlon a couple weeks ago and watched a local pro have the smoothest bike to run transition I have ever seen. I wish I video taped it. It was so smooth and over before I even thought was possible. Honestly I have not seen that kind of transition even while watching pro races on the net. I assume some of it is just being live an in awe of the real time.
2013-05-29 7:43 PM

User image

New user

The bike to run transition can definitely be the smoothest. I can't say I watched any specific video that helped me with my transitions, however I researched on Youtube and after watching both instructional videos and just raw video of Pros transitioning, there is a bit of truth to practicing. I also race in a few duathlons pre-season to dust off my transition skills while the water warms up!
This video is two years old, but still relavent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AzTJClfWc
2013-05-29 8:09 PM

Originally posted by runningmon

So I really want to get my transitions down pat-- I'm giving away too much free time with them. I know practice, practice, practice, but I'd love to watch someone who is really good at transitions and see how they do it. Only problem is that if there's a local race, I'm not going to skip it just to watch. Any good videos to watch a smooth, fast transition?

The bike to run should be pretty quick and seamless......rack bike, remove helmet, slide feet in sockless running shoes, grab race belt and off you go. What are your steps and where do you think you are you "giving away too much free time"?
2013-05-29 11:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

2013-05-30 1:08 AM
in reply to: #4760723

User image

Master
Houston
The key is preparation. For bike to run my racebelt has my nutrition in it, my number on it, and my hat and/or headbands wrapped around it. So it really is. Helmet, shoes, belt, go. Swim to bike I have my helmet and glasses on the bike and socks powdered (if I am wearing them). I also try to do a 30 mins of transition practice the day before the race. Run a loop... jump on bike...ride a loop long enough to get my feet in the shoes and out again... swap to run... repeat.
2013-05-30 11:29 AM
in reply to: Curtisb

Now I want to know what a practice transition area at home would look like!
2013-05-30 11:32 AM
in reply to: NewClydesdale

@Clydesdale-- "socks powdered?" This is the first I've heard of this one-- can you explain?
2013-05-30 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
The key to a fast transition is to do away with all the unnecessary stuff. Don't even bring a bucket to transition. Don't sit down. Don't try to rinse your feet. All this stuff is what kills racing dreams!!!!

T1 should be bike shoes, sunglasses (not actually necessary, but I do use them), helmet & go!

T2 should be run shoes, race belt, hat/visor (not actually necessary, but I do use them) & go!

When you add in unnecessary stuff that is when it starts to eat up time. Learn to race without socks, additional clothing, bike gloves, etc.
2013-05-30 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Baby powder.

If you are going to use socks put baby powder in them and roll them like a condom. They will go on your wet feet easier and speed transition.

2013-05-30 12:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
I can't think of any one in particular, but I've just search You Tube and have had good luck finding several videos that are helpful.

Edited by Cochip 2013-05-30 12:41 PM
2013-05-30 3:04 PM
in reply to: Cochip

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
Most people don't spend enough time thinking about their transitions. The shorter the race, almost the most important they become. I won a race last year by three seconds because my transitions were a little quicker than the 2nd place guy.

You want to keep it super simple, as others have said. None of that sitting down, cleaning yourself off, buffet crap. Have your gear ready ahead of time.

One thing I always do at a race is do a walk through on race morning, knowing exactly where swim-in is, walking to my rack and going to bike-out, then doing the same from bike-in to my rack again, and then to run out. Find the shortest possible route. I often see some people head the wrong way, only to be pointed the other way by volunteers in the transition area - completely inexcusable!

Practice makes perfect - take the time to master transitions, and you'll probably have a advantage on your competition.
2013-05-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Pro

Originally posted by japarker24 The key to a fast transition is to do away with all the unnecessary stuff. Don't even bring a bucket to transition. Don't sit down. Don't try to rinse your feet. All this stuff is what kills racing dreams!!!! T1 should be bike shoes, sunglasses (not actually necessary, but I do use them), helmet & go! T2 should be run shoes, race belt, hat/visor (not actually necessary, but I do use them) & go! When you add in unnecessary stuff that is when it starts to eat up time. Learn to race without socks, additional clothing, bike gloves, etc.

I'm sitting down, I don't care.

On the other hand, this description is good, except for the bike shoes....they are already on the bike and I've seen races where it's a half mile before feet were slipped into the shoes at 23-25 mph.

It takes practice....actually quite a bit of practice to get really good at it. 

I don't know where the OP lives, but if you can find a draft legal race in your area to go watch you will see transitions at their fastest.

2013-05-30 5:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by japarker24 The key to a fast transition is to do away with all the unnecessary stuff. Don't even bring a bucket to transition. Don't sit down. Don't try to rinse your feet. All this stuff is what kills racing dreams!!!! T1 should be bike shoes, sunglasses (not actually necessary, but I do use them), helmet & go! T2 should be run shoes, race belt, hat/visor (not actually necessary, but I do use them) & go! When you add in unnecessary stuff that is when it starts to eat up time. Learn to race without socks, additional clothing, bike gloves, etc.

I'm sitting down, I don't care.

On the other hand, this description is good, except for the bike shoes....they are already on the bike and I've seen races where it's a half mile before feet were slipped into the shoes at 23-25 mph.

It takes practice....actually quite a bit of practice to get really good at it. 

I don't know where the OP lives, but if you can find a draft legal race in your area to go watch you will see transitions at their fastest.

You will also get to see some epic fails!  I went to the world champs in New Zealand - saw so many crashed at the mount and dismount - very funny.

2013-05-31 8:54 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

Yeah, the flying mount/dismount is a little out of my bike handling skill level right now. I love the idea... More for the B.A. Visual appeal. The crash and burn risk is much too high this season.

My first tri T1 was close to 5 minutes... Almost solely a function of not enough practice with the gear and spending too much time futzing with cleaning the sand off and dealing with socks. Tri #2 was MUCH better, but still gave up too many places after actually getting an advantage in the swim (WTF?). And while I'd loe to go park at a race and watch, Jamaica only has two a year, and I'm dang sure racing both of them.

2013-05-31 8:59 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
This is a pretty good video that I have gotten my juniors and youth to watch before a transition clinic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AzTJClfWc

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The art of the transition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Practicing Transitions & Transition Area Setup

Started by imsmiley88
Views: 3199 Posts: 24

2011-03-30 5:41 AM DanielG

Art & Science of Triathlon Conference

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 812 Posts: 3

2006-02-22 6:25 PM AdventureBear

The Art and Science of Triathlon - conference

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1019 Posts: 13

2006-02-23 10:36 AM Celeb_ithil

Zen and the art of bicycle maintenance

Started by Tania
Views: 980 Posts: 7

2005-06-22 10:09 AM mnewton

the art of the 'taper'

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 674 Posts: 3

2004-06-16 3:25 PM ginger ninja
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 27, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Do you have iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS)? Thinking about having Active Release Techniques (ART) done? This article will address ITBS and how ART can help.

date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.
date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.

date : March 16, 2009
Learn how ART therapy can provide an alternative treatment for conditions such as sprains, strains, tendonitis and tendinosis.
date : January 5, 2009
comments : 0
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.

date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.

date : October 31, 2004
author : ewkfit
I may not have pre-pubescent hips or breasts and at 36 that would be ridiculous. I do not need to have an "airbrushed body" and why do I revere that?