General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon de Lévis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon de Lévis - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lévis, Quebec
Canada
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 16m
Overall Rank = 7/13
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Rest 2 days before, little taper the day before. Hydrate well the week before, look for spots in the shadow(!) the previous day, etc.
Event warmup:

Just swim warmup.
Swim
  • 48m 48s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 17s / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 6h 07m 17s
  • 180 kms
  • 29.41 km/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 5h 11m 31s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 07m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Had coca-cola at the 35th km and It allowed me to be ok until the end. Would have liked to sip on a Mr. Freeze... ;-)
Post race
Warm down:

Massage

What limited your ability to perform faster:

- Stomach bloating during the event (river water quality?)
- Flu and sinusitis caught 3 weeks before the event might have affected me a little bit on the bike but I'm not event sure of this...

Event comments:

Right after my first half-ironman in july 05, my main goal was to train for the Iron distance triathlon which would take place a year later. My training unofficially began in the autumn (mid november, after parental vacation) as I was training for cross-country skiing. The real program for Ironman began late january for a long 20 weeks. As for the program, this is one I did myself based on the experience I got while training with a coach for mountain bike races. The training for IM is rather different though (less intensity, more endurance...). In January, I began having troubles with my brachiis, probably from training too hard outside at very low temperatures. I had this condition for almost all winter long but I was able to manage it so I could keep training. Doctor also helped me with aerosol corticosteroids. Training was ok and a 50km x-country race mid march confirmed that I was in shape (same time as previous year with a little less effort). By the end of april, I was quite in shape and began to do longer rides outside when I hit the wall. Kind of a training burnout that lasted for about 10 days. I put then put myself on B-Vitamins and lowered the intensity and volume of training. During that period, a half-marathon with my little girl in the jogging stroller also confirmed that my shape was ok... Training continued... 3 weeks before the event, I had a race (short) where I scored very ok despite the fact that I was training for longer distances. The only problem though is that I got the flu right after that race and that it lasted pretty much until the Ironman... I was a little bit discouraged but my girlfriend (who's also my Training manager/Sports director) said that this little break would just allow my body to rest and that I'd be ready comes race day. I beleived her and kept training but with lower intesity/volume (it was taper time anyway...). Came the week before the race and I was pretty much confident... All the logistics were set up (tapering plan, nutrition plan, gear list, etc.). My brother Patrick would support me the evening and all the event long, which is a precious gift ! The night before the race we slept at a friends place. I slep very good (thanks to mp3 player!). We woke up at 3:45, went to the site, had breakfast (bagel w/cream cheese and peanut butter, coffee, etc.). The swim start was at 6 o'clock. Swim leg went very good ! On the bike, I started to feel bloating in my stomach and couldn't eat anything during the first hour. I didn't want to stop to go to the toilet that early on the bike but I had to... It really was a must and then I began to being able to eat. Bloating continued all day long but toilet visits made the day... I kept hydrating weel all day long and tried to eat as much as possible. At about 140km on the bike, I couldn't drink complex sugars sports drink anymore, nor was I able to eat solid foods. I began to drink gatorade and eat sport gels (Carbooms) until the end of the race. I kept my glycemy until the 35th km of the marathon where I put myself on coca cola. After 12hours16min, I passed the finish line very proud of me, but also very thankful to all the people who helped me and supoprted me during that unique day. The parts of the race that I will remember the most are those when I stopped to chat with people, etc. All that being said, I would say that, even if one encounters problems during training or during the race, doing the Ironman is possible if it is a long term project and if long term training and preparation had been made. This is one of the most beautiful sports experience in my life and I'll sure do it again !

Last updated: 2006-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:48 | 3800 meters | 01m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/13
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 6 laps of 630m
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:07:17 | 180 kms | 29.41 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:11:31 | 42.2 kms | 07m 23s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon de Lévis

2006-08-13 10:19 AM
in reply to: #483791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: RE: Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon de Lévis
Nice job ironman! You had a lot of challenges and still had a great race....congratulations!
2006-08-13 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Great job...Congrats on your first Ironman!  Nice time too :-)
2006-08-16 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Thanks a lot guys for your comments !

It's a pleasure to share the experience, especially about the food... I was suprised myself that complex carbs wouldn't go down after only 6 hours. I always eat and drink complex carbs while training but I discovered that fast-absorbed simple sugars can really save the day in the second half of an Iron distance tri (at least, for me...).

My next important goal in Iron distance tris is to participate in a WTC Ironman. Maybe Lake Placid in 2008.

Cheers !

Christian.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon de Lévis Rss Feed