General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Day before and day of race foods? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-31 3:23 PM

Subject: Day before and day of race foods?
I'm doing my first triathlon on Sunday. It is a 300 meter swim, 7 mile bike and 5k run. Check in is between 5:30 and 6:30 am and my event starts at 8:45am.

Suggestions on what to eat the day before, before i leave the house to go to the race and between check in and race time??

If it matters, I'm a type 2 diabetic with it under control. I'm 57 yrs old and in good shape.

Thanks,
Scott

2013-05-31 3:42 PM
in reply to: txgolfer45

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Day before and day of race foods?
most advice will be nothing new! that is rule #1

However, this question is rather personal as it depends on what your stomach can handle and what your needs are. I tend to stick to basically the same thing or things I normally eat on the day before nothing out of the ordinary that could mess with me and lower fiber. I once read an article on this and they said think "bad" food white rice, bread etc.

Race morning me and many others will recommend something like a bagel with peanut butter and banana about 2 hours prior while sipping on water or sports drink until a bit before the race and most load about 30 min before race start with a gel etc.

As this is only a sprint you might need much less however I would try and stick with what has been working for you during training do not over think it.

2013-05-31 3:42 PM

User image

Ledyard, CT
I'm a big fan of the "nothing new on race day" mentality which carries through to my eating habits as well. I would treat it as you would for any morning that you have a hard workout planned.

Good luck on Sunday! Be sure to check in and let us know how you did!
2013-05-31 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4762910

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Eat what you normally would eat. Never try something new the day before or of the race and think about what you can eat that toucan always tolerate. Most important is to start hydrating a few days before the race. Make sure you start off well hydrated (but not over hydrated where you have diluted the electrolytes)
2013-05-31 4:45 PM

User image

Austin

Originally posted by txgolfer45 I'm doing my first triathlon on Sunday. It is a 300 meter swim, 7 mile bike and 5k run. Check in is between 5:30 and 6:30 am and my event starts at 8:45am. Suggestions on what to eat the day before, before i leave the house to go to the race and between check in and race time?? If it matters, I'm a type 2 diabetic with it under control. I'm 57 yrs old and in good shape. Thanks, Scott

Day before: I usually eat my bigger meal at 2 to 3 pm, then if there is any left overs of it finish it about 6pm. I try to have a nice small steak and a baked potato or pasta for this meal. If there were no left overs I will have half a sun butter (Peanut allergy so no pbj's for me) and honey sandwich on wheat toast. in bed by 8pm if I can.

Day of pre race: Get up about 4am and drink a full glass of ice water. (To help kick start to morning constitution.) While drinking the ice water I eat a sun butter crunch bar. About 1 hour before race start I drink about half an energy drink and have a chew or two while setting up transition. ( Two reasons to eat a chew here. 1. It makes sure I open the package that way I don't struggle to do that on the ride, 2. I can tell if my body is going to handle the chews that day.)

Day of during race: Once on the bike depending on the distance try to put some sort of chew or chomp, jelly bean ect in mouth every 10 to 15 minutes, also try to get as much water in as possible. On the way out of T2 grab a sports drink from a volunteer then have a gel at mile 2.5 of an oly or at 4 and 8 of a him. (No gels on the run for a sprint)

Day of post race: Anything your stomach can handle immediately post race. Once home pop open that bottle of sparkling beverage and celebrate a race well run.

2013-05-31 4:46 PM
in reply to: Exige

User image

Originally posted by Exige

most advice will be nothing new! that is rule #1

However, this question is rather personal as it depends on what your stomach can handle and what your needs are. I tend to stick to basically the same thing or things I normally eat on the day before nothing out of the ordinary that could mess with me and lower fiber. I once read an article on this and they said think "bad" food white rice, bread etc.

Race morning me and many others will recommend something like a bagel with peanut butter and banana about 2 hours prior while sipping on water or sports drink until a bit before the race and most load about 30 min before race start with a gel etc.

As this is only a sprint you might need much less however I would try and stick with what has been working for you during training do not over think it.

Yep, 1/2 banana + 1/4 bagel for me on race day morning.
Wish I can hold down more food...

2013-06-01 12:00 PM
in reply to: Lynn00

User image

Veteran
Dallas
I usually try to eat a bagel and peanut butter, but sometimes my stomach just won't go for that. Poptarts (usually brown sugar) are my go to pre race food.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Day before and day of race foods? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

the 2nd workout of the day, some days bad, some days good Pages: 1 2

Started by crmorton
Views: 3501 Posts: 27

2013-01-21 3:47 PM LPJmom

Race day food for sprint

Started by Patti678
Views: 1519 Posts: 19

2010-04-22 9:36 AM mmrocker13

day before race day workout

Started by moonsegason
Views: 1738 Posts: 8

2009-10-04 7:20 PM blairrob

15 days to race day

Started by mcbill98
Views: 1228 Posts: 10

2006-09-02 1:34 AM Nob

Race Day = 1st day of Period Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Gwendal
Views: 4212 Posts: 60

2005-07-20 9:48 PM 1st tri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.