General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-01 3:53 PM

User image

Subject: Training in the rain
Well today was my first experience of biking in the rain. I was supposed to do 5 hours on the bike and a 45 min run afterwards. It was 60 degrees, really windy, and spotty showers. Well an hour into it, the rain just went on for 30 minutes and I had enough. My cloths were soaked, my shoes were soaked, I could hardly see, and I was on the brakes at almost all times. The last straw was that I couldn't even break open a gu with my fingers since they were so cold and stiff. I decided to call it a quits and head back to my car.

I don't feel too bad since I have a HIM next week but I'm still mad I cheated myself on a long workout day and this was my last time to test out tired legs after biking before the race (main race is the full Vineman in 8 weeks). If I knew it was going to suck this much, I would have got on the trainer and bored myself to death but I thought I could deal with it but was wrong. Do you guys ever train in the rain? I guess it's good to do once in a while since it's possible that a race may be in the rain but I'm not comfortable flying on the bike when it's wet with tiny 23 tires...more so since I had a bike accident 2 weeks ago.

2013-06-01 6:37 PM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Training in the rain
I am a fair weather rider. I hate to ride in the cold and/or rain. I put in a lot of time on my trainer.

That sounds like a pretty big workout a week before an HIM. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Good luck with your upcoming race.
2013-06-01 6:46 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Payson, AZ
ditto on the fair weather rider.  Although I have done some rather miserable rides, but they tend to end up with me near or with hypothermia (usually caught unprepared).  Good for you for trying but some days it's best to just give in to that trainer
2013-06-01 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4763604

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I love riding in the rain. I find it refreshing. As for a good reason to train in the rain: I got my only HIM podium on a very rainy day where most rode very timidly.
2013-06-01 9:57 PM
in reply to: Hugh in TX

It rains during races. It's miserable but training in the cold and rain can give you a great advantage on race day.
2013-06-01 10:27 PM
in reply to: respro

User image

Pro

I love to run in the rain.....I won't ride in the rain on a bet. I just don't enjoy it so, since I'm not getting paid to do it, I don't.

As far as "what happens if it rains on the bike during your race?"...my race is over for the day...and I look forward to better weather for my next race.  Have fun, I'm headed for a dry place, a beer, and a sandwich.

2013-06-02 7:03 AM

User image

I find it a lot easier to run in the rain. You can wear more rainproof clothes, gloves, etc. Could you have switched your schedule to run that day? You can get rain resistant jackets if it's raining on race day. Put on lots of body glide and nipguards as things rub a lot more in the rain.
2013-06-02 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc
I'll avoid it if possible. I had a couple rain rides recently, but I was caught out there about 15 miles from the car, so I just pushed through. The bike maintenance afterwards isn't worth the benefit of learning to ride in the rain. After two rides in the rain(one was a race, the other was the previously mentioned) I took it to the shop cause it wasn't running great, and the guy told me water poured out after he took off the cranks. I'll ride in wind, cold, etc, especially since wind is a likely factor on race day, but rain isn't worth it. I'd rather do a shorter trainer ride. I missed a lot of outdoor rides due to weather when training for my most recent half, and I would spend about 2/3-3/4 of the planned time on the trainer.
2013-06-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: RookieIM

User image

Spokane
Its thunder and lightning here today.. and I'm suppose to be on the bike for 4:30 hours with a 30 min run after.... How is that possible if im typing this? I might hop on the trainer later.. i might not. 3 weeks till IM i don't really think i have much more i can gain.
2013-06-02 2:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I will ride in poor conditions occasionally. As has been said. Sometimes you get bad weather on race day and need to be prepared. However, I will trade a quality session on the trainer for a long ride if the conditions are poor or I'm not feeling it. I do however, RELISH running in rainy conditions. Something about that just clicks in me. Keeps me cooler as well. I'm always faster when I run in rain.
2013-06-02 3:06 PM
in reply to: japewang

User image

Regular
I am more of the fair weather bike rider. I spend quite a bit of time of the trainer because of this but also because of time constraints at times. I can start riding my trainer at 6 in the morning when the sun isn't up enough or when it is not warm enough (for my liking) to ride outside.

Now if it is cold enough to warrant having my cold weather gear on and the sun is out, than I am more inclined to ride outside. It is more when that time is in between of wearing the warm gear or wearing something lighter, but slowly I am accumulating the gear to ride in mediocre weather.

I rain in pouring down rain today for 1:45. I was so tired of it but knew I need to get this last long run in before IMCDA

2013-06-02 3:45 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dkahns51

Its thunder and lightning here today.. and I'm suppose to be on the bike for 4:30 hours with a 30 min run after.... How is that possible if im typing this? I might hop on the trainer later.. i might not. 3 weeks till IM i don't really think i have much more i can gain.

Umm where are you at? Sun is out here in Spokane. Get off your butt and get the work done
2013-06-02 3:51 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Spokane
Originally posted by spie34

Umm where are you at? Sun is out here in Spokane. Get off your butt and get the work done

Hahah shhh.. I know i just looked outside and was like ahh crap now i have to go ride for 4:30.. I did my long run on friday got 14 miles in. Well... Here goes nothing hopefully the rain doesn't come back! Gonna go ride palouse hwy a couple of times.
2013-06-02 8:57 PM
in reply to: dkahns51

User image

Regular

Hahah shhh.. I know i just looked outside and was like ahh crap now i have to go ride for 4:30.. I did my long run on friday got 14 miles in. Well... Here goes nothing hopefully the rain doesn't come back! Gonna go ride palouse hwy a couple of times.

You got some good hills out there on the palouse highway. I live on the northside so I hit some of the hills north going towards chewelah. Hope your ride went well.

2013-06-02 9:26 PM

New user
Can't stand riding in the rain, I am cold, miserable, slow and anxious of coming off the bike. I bought a trainer for this exact reason. Long rides on the trainer aren't great, but you can pop on a movie, which will be infinitely more enjoyable for me than riding in the rain.

I am happy to run in the rain though :D
2013-06-03 6:07 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Spokane

You got some good hills out there on the palouse highway. I live on the northside so I hit some of the hills north going towards chewelah. Hope your ride went well.

Yeah.. i played dodge the rain clouds. I lost yesterday.. and i lost again today lol. Its not my week for ridding apparently. But this week no clouds to be seen for the whole week!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training in the rain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

5.29.11 Rain rain go away...

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1067 Posts: 20

2011-05-29 8:24 PM sdejan

Rain Rain Go Away

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1847 Posts: 15

2011-05-07 1:26 AM climbingryan

Rain, rain go away...

Started by jessm
Views: 1371 Posts: 11

2010-03-15 9:26 AM mgalanter

Training in the rain Pages: 1 2

Started by andrej
Views: 2049 Posts: 30

2005-12-13 7:18 PM Lara

Rain, rain, go away..... Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMom217
Views: 2035 Posts: 26

2004-03-31 9:05 PM davido
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.