General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Confession: Today I was "That guy" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-01 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: BT Confession: Today I was "That guy"
Things at work are finally settling down and I had last night off so I decided to join my local shop ride this morning. I have ridden with them in the past but its been awhile. Several of the guys I ride with on Monday nights were also there so it wasn't like I was a complete newb. However, by the end of the ride I had firmly cemented my place as "that guy." It started a mile into the ride when we came to the first and biggest bridge. Normally I get dropped EVERY time I go over a bridge, and I mean EVERY time, even on solo rides, so I get to the front, push hard on the approach to build up some speed then wait to be run down... it never happened! So I wait for the group, settle in about 7 or 8 back from the front and just enjoy the draft. We're rolling along at 22-23 mph, maybe 8 miles into the ride when out of nowhere the 4 guys in front of me all sit up and drop to 19-20 mph. I went around them and caught up to the lead pack. Now we're moving 24+ mph, and as the leaders rotate out, I take my turn at which point the ride leader pulls up along side of me to let me know that I'm going too fast. I back it down to 22 mph and keep it there until... one of the guys that sat up earlier, pulls along side of me to let me know that I need to rotate out so others can pull. I drop to the back thinking everyone here is thinking "what a tool, typical triathlete." So for that, BT I am sorry, I did not mean to perpetuate the stereotype, what must I do to atone for my mistakes?

2013-06-01 4:37 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

SE Texas
Subject: RE: BT Confession: Today I was "That guy"
Lol congrats. Keep it up .
2013-06-01 4:59 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Great backdoor brag, well worth a congrats...
2013-06-01 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Nothing but the trainer for a week.

But build a bonfire next to it so that it's really hot.

Put a fire in front too just for good measure.

Get busy.

Just kidding...nice riding! Keep it up!
2013-06-01 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
they complained that you pulled for too long? i typically only get "thank you's" and "great pull" comments when i stay on the front for a while.
2013-06-01 7:37 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-06-01 7:47 PM

2013-06-01 7:40 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya all my roadie buddies hate it when their Tri friend shows up, keeps the pace to high, drops them repeatedly, and spends too long at he front. Oh what that has never happened. If it does ill be sure to say I'm sorry o as many people as possible.

Solid job.
2013-06-01 8:02 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

Pro
Oh....you were riding with "that group"......no wonder. Laughing
2013-06-01 8:07 PM

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
I don't do group rides so excuse the dumb question but, other than maybe going to fast, what did you do wrong?
2013-06-01 8:09 PM

Regular
Morton IL
These stories are what makes me afraid to ride with the bike club groups....
2013-06-01 8:11 PM
in reply to: Paulford8

Pro

Originally posted by Paulford8 These stories are what makes me afraid to ride with the bike club groups....

Eh.....don't be afraid...those guys are funny, you'll have a ball.

2013-06-01 10:33 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by The Chupacabra

Nothing but the trainer for a week.

But build a bonfire next to it so that it's really hot.

Put a fire in front too just for good measure.

Get busy.

Just kidding...nice riding! Keep it up!

Does the south Florida sun count as a bonfire?
2013-06-01 11:06 PM

Veteran
The only acceptable response is to drop the hammer and humiliate them.
2013-06-02 7:08 AM

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
Enjoy the moment.
2013-06-02 11:16 AM
in reply to: rjrankin83

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rjrankin83 I don't do group rides so excuse the dumb question but, other than maybe going to fast, what did you do wrong?

Keep the group moving along as it was. Don't hammer and splinter (or threaten to break) the group each pull. Sure there will be some surges or breaks here and there, but not every time. Generally, keep everything moving smoothly so that there isn't really much of a difference from one guy to the next when leading. Be predictable and learn how to keep everything flowing together smoothly. I've ridden with guys who would hammer, or attack hard late in my pull then sit extra long behind me. Doing stuff that didn't really make sense for a group ride. I stopped riding with them because it wasn't fun and I wasn't getting as much out of the rides.

2013-06-02 12:23 PM
in reply to: Clempson

Originally posted by Clempson

they complained that you pulled for too long? i typically only get "thank you's" and "great pull" comments when i stay on the front for a while.

Unless you're the guy in the second position. Much less draft advantage than the folks 8-10 spots back. If everyone's doing fast 2 min pulls, and the guy behind you is a relative newbie he/she's going to suffer a lot if he/she has to sit behind you for 5 min. Of course, they can always break off and go to the back, but generally most groups like it when folks pull for roughly the name amount of time at the front. No biggie, though.

2013-06-02 2:43 PM

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Originally posted by cwpeters

Does the south Florida sun count as a bonfire?

That'll work.

Also, no laptop to help pass the time.
2013-06-02 4:23 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

I have a feeling that you most definitely were "That guy", only for different reasons then you seem to be implying.

Generally the idea behind a group road ride is to keep a steady tempo when pulling and not increase the speed of the group when you get on the front. You want to rotate in, take your pull then rotate out.
2013-06-02 11:19 PM

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I was thinking that you were the guy I saw today here in Vancouver. We were sitting at the local farmers market eating lunch when a group of five guys on TT bikes rode up together. I was thinking, cool, that looks like a fun group to ride with until I saw one guy was wearing an aero helmet.

Stickers, tattoos and IM gear don't bother me but I can't imagine why someone would wear an aero helmet for a group ride.
2013-06-03 6:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I had a unique group experience on one our local paved rail-trails last week..

I was on the streets heading towards the trail head when a local race team with about 9-10 members came up behind me.  The first thing I thought was do I try and hammer it, do my normal thing or slow down and let them pass me...

My decision was made for me as we got close to the trail head...There was a very large puddle of water on the trail and I rode into the grass to not trash my bike any more than I had to when I heard someone yell "don't go through the mud puddle, it will get your bike all dirty."  When I first heard it I thought it was one of the more experienced riders giving $hit to a newer one but when I looked back they all rode through the puddle, albeit at a slow speed...

So once I realized they were mocking me for avoiding the puddle I decided I would be the tail on their ride....At the point on the trail we hooked up there are about three or four intersections in succession where the trail crosses some city streets so no matter how much things crank up between you always have to slow down for traffic...They tried to snap me off a couple times and couldn't however when we got to a section with 5-7 miles of uninterupted trail they really tried to lose me....We got up to 28-29 mph which was on a slight incline gradient (former railway) and I could see a couple of their big dogs up front just trying to smash me...They cycled through about half their riders by the time we got to the next intersection.... I heard chirping and laughing going on throughout the ride but couldn't make any of it out...

Anyway, they tried again to snap me off the back but couldn't and honestly it wasn't that hard to stay on.... I know for a fact they could destroy me in a technical setting and had their group been smaller they could have snapped me off the back but due to the size of their group AND the trail not allowing for anything crazy, I stayed on...

Sorry for the long story, I brought it up because I wasn't sure what I should have done in a normal situation.  I thought about asking the first guy I was on the wheel of if it was allright that I was there but once I thought about their open mocking of me, they'd have to tell me to get off...

Question:  Do roadies and mainly race teams look down at triathletes because we aren't "all-in" for cycling or do they think we're lesser cyclists because many of us tend to go solo and hammer for a lot of our riding miles and aren't usually as strong a technical rider?

Again, sorry for the long post..

2013-06-03 7:27 AM

NC
Originally posted by cwpeters

Now we're moving 24+ mph, and as the leaders rotate out, I take my turn at which point the ride leader pulls up along side of me to let me know that I'm going too fast. I back it down to 22 mph and keep it there until... one of the guys that sat up earlier, pulls along side of me to let me know that I need to rotate out so others can pull.

Sounds like a good group, communicating the expectations of the group members. When you ride with a group, you ride like the group.

2013-06-03 7:51 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

2013-06-03 7:57 AM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Fred D 2013-06-03 7:58 AM
2013-06-03 9:36 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by TriMike Do roadies and mainly race teams look down at triathletes because we aren't "all-in" for cycling or do they think we're lesser cyclists because many of us tend to go solo and hammer for a lot of our riding miles and aren't usually as strong a technical rider?
First, I don't think anyone 'speaks' for roadies. Much like triathletes there are a variety of personalities of roadies. I ride with some serious roadies semi frequently and I've found them quite fun to bike with. In general they understand how to ride much better in a group and specifically how to draft. IME the road cyclists are much stronger than any triathletes I have ever ridden with and I usually have top 1-2% triathlon bike splits.... but they simply fry me when they attack or climb a serious hill. They are much, much better on technical skills as well (again I am referring to bike racers not purely recreational roadies) Lastly I don't think they universally look down on triathletes.... quite the opposite as some of the former competitive roadies that I ride with have just as much or more criticism of fellow roadies than us. i.e.; I don't think they have this huge rivalry etc. I don't even know if most triathletes 'hammer for a lot of our riding miles'. Do we? IME there is no us vs. them, rather just each person evaluated individually on their merits.

Good points, thank you for sharing.

I agree many roadies could be very good guys and gals to ride with, however it's the chance encounters where it's nearly impossible to actually strike up a quick conversation to lay out some ground rules etc..

As for my comment on hammering, I over-use that term...I basically meant working hard...I tend to ride most of my workouts at a similar effort level, it's just the distance varies per the plan....

Lastly, I went with a buddy to look at buying a used Venge from a guy who races here locally and in conversation it came up that I'm a tri guy... The guy was really nice and commented that it's so interesting that cyclists and triathletes while using a very similar tool (bike) couldn't be further from each other in application..... I agreed..

And a pre-emptive sorry if I over-generalized roadies and/or cycling teams....I'm always curious to find out what others would do in the same situation..

2013-06-03 9:42 AM
in reply to: cbrave

Payson, AZ

Originally posted by cbrave I was thinking that you were the guy I saw today here in Vancouver. We were sitting at the local farmers market eating lunch when a group of five guys on TT bikes rode up together. I was thinking, cool, that looks like a fun group to ride with until I saw one guy was wearing an aero helmet. Stickers, tattoos and IM gear don't bother me but I can't imagine why someone would wear an aero helmet for a group ride.

Maybe he has a race coming up and he was getting in a ride with the helmet to get comfortable with it before the race.  Sometimes it is not all that complicated.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BT Confession: Today I was "That guy" Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Super awesome swim today, courtesy of the guy in the next lane

Started by Cavemann
Views: 998 Posts: 5

2011-05-24 5:44 PM triarcher

Yup, I was "that guy" at the gym today

Started by agarose2000
Views: 3010 Posts: 23

2010-05-20 11:38 PM agarose2000

Confession...I broke one of the commandments today

Started by grandhavenbill
Views: 1675 Posts: 6

2007-04-30 5:52 PM monkeyboy64

60 miles today - not bad for a middle aged fat guy

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1428 Posts: 12

2006-04-02 7:50 PM Rogillio

I am in a wedding party how do I stop being the fat funny guy Pages: 1 2

Started by Rizzo
Views: 2987 Posts: 31

2005-07-10 8:25 PM MKraus64
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : June 27, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Motivational and inspirational interviews of BT members beginning July 2nd, 2006
date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?

date : April 19, 2005
author : Ron
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.
date : October 3, 2004
author : scuba-punk
He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.