Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-04 11:03 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: What am I doing wrong?
Originally posted by mchadcota2

So let me pose my question a little differently to help me understand. If at the end of the season I am able to avg 22 mph for a particular 20 mile course, then during the off season I start these interval workouts. If I were to be using a power meter instead of my other method of measurement, and I am able to increase my power output for those 10 min intervals by 10 % during the offseason. Would you not expect an increase in speed for that same 20 mile ride? I'm wondering if its just a problem with my method of measurement.

Let's stay you are able to do 22mph on a 20mile course it's about 1hr, so let's say you are doing at FTP. Let's pretend it's a flat course, no wind, reasonable position and you and your bike weight 170lbs. You need 180watts. So let's say your FTP is 180

You work hard all winter and raise your FTP by 18 watts (10%). You are now 198watts. Same bike, same conditions...You would be able to go 22.96 mph

You work hard all winter and raise your FTP by 30 watts. You are now 210watts. Same bike, same conditions...You would be able to go 23.48 mph

Going from 180 to 210 is not that big an improvement over a winter.

2013-06-04 11:53 AM
in reply to: marcag

nashville, Tennessee
Originally posted by marcag

So let me pose my question a little differently to help me understand. If at the end of the season I am able to avg 22 mph for a particular 20 mile course, then during the off season I start these interval workouts. If I were to be using a power meter instead of my other method of measurement, and I am able to increase my power output for those 10 min intervals by 10 % during the offseason. Would you not expect an increase in speed for that same 20 mile ride? I'm wondering if its just a problem with my method of measurement.

Let's stay you are able to do 22mph on a 20mile course it's about 1hr, so let's say you are doing at FTP. Let's pretend it's a flat course, no wind, reasonable position and you and your bike weight 170lbs. You need 180watts. So let's say your FTP is 180

You work hard all winter and raise your FTP by 18 watts (10%). You are now 198watts. Same bike, same conditions...You would be able to go 22.96 mph

You work hard all winter and raise your FTP by 30 watts. You are now 210watts. Same bike, same conditions...You would be able to go 23.48 mph

That's a big improvement in my book. If I would have increased from 22 last year, to doing 23.5 this year, I'd be ecstatic.
2013-06-04 11:58 AM
in reply to: mchadcota2

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by marcag

That's a big improvement in my book. If I would have increased from 22 last year, to doing 23.5 this year, I'd be ecstatic.

A few years back there was something called the Jorge's winter plan.

I would bet most people that did the plan saw an improvement of 30 watts over the winter.

If I am not mistaken, that plan is available on TR, but not 100% sure.
2013-06-04 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
those calculations looks suspiciously like bikecalculator.com, which I think does a real crazy job in 'Aerobar' position, and is much more realistic in 'Drops' setting, which puts our rider at ~220 FTP, which sounds a lot more realistic than 180. Now to increase to 23 mph, that means a new FTP of 250. An improvement from 220 to 250 is in my mind more impressive than going from 180 to 210, even though the percentage increases are different. At this stage, if I were able to raise my FTP just 10% a year, I'd be over 400 in just 3 years, then I could go ride with the pros. This is unfortunately where math and reality don't converge

I would expect anyone to be able to improve their FTP wattage by 30 or more in the first six months of training with power if they stick to a structured plan, but after that, not so much. Turns out it gets harder to improve the higher you get.

Edited by fisherman76 2013-06-04 12:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What am I doing wrong? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swimming - What am I doing wrong/right?

Started by inspiration
Views: 947 Posts: 4

2011-01-12 1:57 AM daharryone

Blackburn fluid trainer - what am I doing wrong?

Started by trishie
Views: 635 Posts: 2

2009-06-15 10:10 PM Experior

what am I doing wrong?

Started by heath8
Views: 1563 Posts: 18

2008-08-18 8:25 AM David tri's

Trainer: What am I doing wrong?

Started by Rennick
Views: 991 Posts: 5

2005-12-14 12:46 PM CindyK

What am I doing wrong - swimming

Started by See Mom Run
Views: 1890 Posts: 20

2005-03-24 10:52 PM mikericci
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!