General Discussion Triathlon Talk » moving back to ATL in July- suggestions?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-02 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: moving back to ATL in July- suggestions??
Hi... I'm a working middle-aged mom who discovered tri's when I moved to MD... our clubs up here are low key, $35 to join, folks hook up for training, mentoring, etc., and we really run the gamut of ages and skill levels, from teens to 70's, newbies to pro's. Great, low-key group. I'm a solid MOP/BOP'er, depending on the day, work schedule and injury status. I train/race with the club and charity team here... aiming to live around Oak Grove / Lakeside HS area, working in Duluth. I'm a member of ATC - been coming back for PRR last few years....I'm a social racer, love the camaraderie, never train as much as I'd hope to, never been accused of being too fast. My typical training buddies truly span all ages & lifestyles, 30's-60's.

So, I've seen the lists of GA clubs, and was wondering about the group(s) that might be best for me, aiming for groups training closer to home than work. I used to be a swim coach, so can swim well, but like the motivation of group workouts, group runs. I'm an RRCA running coach, but it's probably my least favorite discipline.

I'll also be coming back up here for races this fall, and am wondering where folks ride to get in 20-40 miles, esp with hills?

Many thanks,
Marla

2013-06-02 3:14 PM
in reply to: MarlaS

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: moving back to ATL in July- suggestions??

Welcome Back!

Hmmm, it's tough to say what is the right club for you because most of the ones in town are coaching related and a bit priceier.  

Maybe some of the tri peeps inside the perimeter will know the prices better.

As for routes/rides, do you mind driving and if so, how far?

2013-06-02 6:46 PM

User image

NAMC (North Atlanta Multisport Club -- atltri.com) is a low key club. Sometimes it is described as a social club with a triathlon addiction. However we (second year as a member) have monthly meetings, a very popular Friday ows at Mary Alice park, and bike rides each week that we join (other groups lead the rides, we just have a contingent from the group that join them) as well as other special rides & runs that folks in the club training are doing special for the week and love company on. There are members from newbie to multiple ironman finishers, so I find there is always somebody to answer my questions and give advice. Would love to see you at a meeting to check things out!
2013-06-03 10:27 PM
in reply to: brown_dog_us

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Originally posted by brown_dog_us

Welcome Back!

Hmmm, it's tough to say what is the right club for you because most of the ones in town are coaching related and a bit priceier.  

Maybe some of the tri peeps inside the perimeter will know the prices better.

As for routes/rides, do you mind driving and if so, how far?

That was my impression of the intown clubs too, though I'm used to paying to swim, so maybe it evens out a bit.

Don't mind driving on weekends, though would love to live someplace i could sneak in a weekday ride and not play dodgecar - you have some suggestions??

(and thanks!)
2013-06-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: CptSnoopy

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Originally posted by CptSnoopy

NAMC (North Atlanta Multisport Club -- atltri.com) is a low key club. Sometimes it is described as a social club with a triathlon addiction. However we (second year as a member) have monthly meetings, a very popular Friday ows at Mary Alice park, and bike rides each week that we join (other groups lead the rides, we just have a contingent from the group that join them) as well as other special rides & runs that folks in the club training are doing special for the week and love company on. There are members from newbie to multiple ironman finishers, so I find there is always somebody to answer my questions and give advice. Would love to see you at a meeting to check things out!

Thanks - would definitely check it out! Just came back from my monthly club meeting here, and had brick n pic yesterday. Where are the meetings usually?
2013-06-04 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Hmmm.... The intown clubs are Atlanta Triathlon Club and Peachtree Tri Club. There also seems to be either a club or just a decent training group at Tri Your Best which is east of the perimeter. If a club itself doesn't line up with your needs, you can probably find people to train with by joining rides organized by a local bike or tri shop. There are more and more tri shops in Atlanta now so there may be something near you. As for places to ride 20-40 miles on the weekend with hills, there are lots of those! Roswell and Alpharetta have big cycling groups that have published routes. You can get to many of the same areas via Johns Creek and Duluth as well. There has been an explosion in races the last few years so you should have plenty to choose from when you get here. They are all a bit of a drive due to limitations with bodies of water. There's the Peachtree City Sprint, a Tri at Lake Allatoona by PTS, and Lake Lanier Sprint Tri all on the docket for the fall to name a few.

Welcome back!

2013-06-05 11:51 AM

User image

The meetings float around depending on what topic of discussion and workout we do before the meeting (optional). Most are in the Roswell area. Next one is a picnic at Mary Alice park Details will be coming to the website. Hope you can make it!
2013-06-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: crazyalaskian

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Originally posted by crazyalaskian

Hmmm.... The intown clubs are Atlanta Triathlon Club and Peachtree Tri Club. There also seems to be either a club or just a decent training group at Tri Your Best which is east of the perimeter. If a club itself doesn't line up with your needs, you can probably find people to train with by joining rides organized by a local bike or tri shop. There are more and more tri shops in Atlanta now so there may be something near you. As for places to ride 20-40 miles on the weekend with hills, there are lots of those! Roswell and Alpharetta have big cycling groups that have published routes. You can get to many of the same areas via Johns Creek and Duluth as well. There has been an explosion in races the last few years so you should have plenty to choose from when you get here. They are all a bit of a drive due to limitations with bodies of water. There's the Peachtree City Sprint, a Tri at Lake Allatoona by PTS, and Lake Lanier Sprint Tri all on the docket for the fall to name a few.

Welcome back!

Many thanks!! That's great - we're hard pressed to find tri shops up here. I'm looking forward to getting down there and exploring on my bike!
2013-06-07 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hey Maria,

Welcome to Atlanta. I'm late to the party, but want to give you the info on Atlanta Tri Club (www.AtlantaTriClub.com) Right now, we have 18 coached group workouts a week. There are two primary areas where the activity is centered, inside the perimeter, and the Cobb area. We just started having workouts every day in Cobb. We are planning to eventually have workouts daily in the Roswell/Alpharetta area as well.

Right now we have about 250 members training from everything from their first sprint to marathons and Ironmans. It is a great social group as well, every month we have socials and seminars, and our post-race tent celebrations are great, too.

There are plenty of great groups in and around the metro area, it is an awesome community of triathletes. I have no doubt you'll find the best group for you. If you want any more info about ATC, feel free to reach out offline... info (at) atlantatriclub (dot) com
2013-06-09 10:23 PM
in reply to: ATLrunr

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
many thanks for the info!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » moving back to ATL in July- suggestions?? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ride Suggestions - ATL area

Started by Iwannarunlikeforrest
Views: 1052 Posts: 6

2013-02-20 10:40 AM afrutoz

July 4th Ride - Silver Comet

Started by lawyerchick
Views: 694 Posts: 6

2007-07-03 2:06 PM lawyerchick

OWS and SCT ride on July 7 Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by CourtneyM
Views: 3942 Posts: 87

2007-07-09 12:42 PM emlavigne

Century on SCT July 4th Weekend? Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by jonathan22
Views: 4544 Posts: 103

2007-07-01 5:56 AM graye2

OWS July 1 Pages: 1 2

Started by watergirl
Views: 1935 Posts: 33

2006-07-03 12:22 PM run4yrlif
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
After surgery for a herniated disc, is running causing a repeat injury?

date : January 28, 2010
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on doing Ironman Wisconsin on a road bike and a training plan for back-to-back centuries.
date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on running muscle imbalance correction, water running, overdistance training, back-to-back Olys, maintenance plans and speed and common age-grouper mistakes.
date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?

date : July 4, 2006
author : acbadger
We have used the past six months to build endurance and strength on the bike and in the pool. Now, we’ll start building on your swimming speed and run/walking.