General Discussion Race Reports! » Edinboro Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Edinboro Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Edinboro, Pennsylvania
United States
Edinboro Triathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Check-in. Return to vehicle and gather stuff. Ride bicycle shifting gears to transitional area as a short check on it's condition. Rack the bike and setup the transitional area.
Event warmup:

Short in the water swim. Walking arouind.
Swim
  • 22m 18s
  • 1320 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is an out and back swim. Going out I was with the slower back "pack". I got thumped a few times around the rounding buoy which was a pontoon boat. I ventured to the outside only to find myself 50 yards off course and I was not able to bridge back to the pack. My swimming has never been even adequate in all these years regardless of what videos or instruction I receive/take in.. I wish there was some magical formula
What would you do differently?:

Navigational skills need to be improved.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Nothing special here. Found my on bike Garmin 800 had powered down so I had to restart this thing. Did not capture all the data.

Have the Garmin 800 out of the power saving mode.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 58s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 20.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Strongest winds I have encounter while participating in this event. I ride a compact crank and did not need to come out of the large chainwheel. I have a 13-25 gearing in the rear. That is a junior gearing setup I use which works fine for this older participant. My ride time was the fastest in the age group. It would have been the fastest in the next youngest age group and the fourth fastest in the age group 10 years younger than mine. Consumed nearly 26 ounces of fluid which had 450 calories of liquid nutrition.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Nothing special. Grab stuff and a quick drink.

Not a thing.
Run
  • 58m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with a very good fresh feeling and sub 8 min/mile pac but by the time I hit the 2nd mile marker I was toast. Had to resort to short runs and walks to the finish line. I believe the sun and heat got to me as I have had no training in such conditions this year. I also started out too fast despite a comfortable feeling as I was looking to take an age group win. Little did I know I was in 1st place for the age group entering the run. I knew exactly who was behind me-the age group winner-but thought someone was ahead. The run was a good 10 minutes slower than what I should have completed it in. I later found out I finished 2nd in my age group. It was very sunny and warm during the run with temperatures in the 80s.

Had I known I was in first place entering the run portion, I would have gone out slower and maybe not crash and burn. Mentally I need to toughen up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around and having a few refreshments. No soreness or heavy leg feelings.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor swim skills. Run performance.

Event comments:

The Erie Triathlon Club has produced this race for the 27th year now. It is a good event in a small Western Pa. town. The event has sold out in the past but in recent years they have not. The water temperature always seems to be warmer than most of the other lakes in Western Pa.

Last updated: 2013-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:18 | 1320 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:58 | 23.6 miles | 20.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Performance:
Average HR was 151 for the ride. Average power was 208. I believe the power readings were slightly off due to the Garmin powering off in the transitional area while I was swimming. A week before (practice run) I averaged 216 watts at a slower pace.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This is a square ride with the last half climbing nearly 400 feet from mile 11 to 20. There was strong wind gusts both head and cross winds that caused concern. Twice the cross winds threaten to crash my ride. Strong headwinds while riding south and while the elevation was climbing. Mixture of road surfaces with some potholes and rough areas. Not a course to ride super thin tires.
Road:   Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:12 | 06.2 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back course.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-02 2:45 PM

Subject: Edinboro Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Edinboro Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Edinboro Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by rugby7179
Views: 1128 Posts: 1

2013-06-02 1:29 PM rugby7179

Edinboro Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by PAtriman
Views: 722 Posts: 1

2012-06-03 4:06 PM PAtriman

Edinboro Triathlon Sprint Distance

Started by JamesMilliron
Views: 780 Posts: 1

2010-08-02 9:58 PM JamesMilliron

Edinboro Triathlon

Started by mikep
Views: 1626 Posts: 2

2008-06-01 2:39 PM zipp1

19th Annual Edinboro Triathlon

Started by Fargo296
Views: 931 Posts: 1

2004-09-05 8:49 PM Fargo296
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.