Race Day Events
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 40s
Overall Rank = 133/500
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 6/34
Pre-race routine:

Normal - get up at AZZ crack, coffee, bagels with PB, rocking out to some Uncle Kracker and general appreciation for being alive on such a fine day
Event warmup:

Did a little bit of swimming in the tidal pool known as Rock Lake.
Swim
  • 06m 42s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lake was choppy as all heck. Worst I have ever been in. That being said, I figured I would go out easy and just let whatever come/come.

Seems like the other yahoos in my wave had other ideas. They all went out like bats out of hell and lots of knocking around for the first 100 - then everyone died and things settled down.

Had to breathe every 2 strokes, normally do every 3. Got battled by 2-3 ft waves. Did my best to keep even stroke but gave up after the first hundy.

I was in the second wave - first wave after the elites. Only saw 2 kayakers on course and was wondering how novices and less experienced swimmers would fair.

Worst swim I have had in a race as far as difficulty
What would you do differently?:

Should have pushed it harder, I could have built up another 30-60 seconds cushion.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Decided to go without tri top during the swim because of the low temperatures. Put on t-shirt and long sleeve shirt for warmth on the bike..

Just go with tri-top under wetsuit like normal.
Bike
  • 48m 31s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Biked sucked. Haven't been out on the road very much this year so far. Most of the work has been on the trainer in the basement. I hate wind on the bike - my attitude reflected it. Just hung on and ground it out the best I could. The last 3 miles was into the wind - of course it was.

More training outside - also need to do more intervals.

Could have done without the long sleeves. Really wasn't too bad on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Got back to transition and it was packed, packed, packed. There were people standing with their bikes everywhere. I was so confused - a friend said the look on my face was priceless. After yelling at enough people I was able to get thru the herd and get to my rack.

As I was changing, the very significant other said they cancelled the swim after the fourth wave and get the remaining racers out for the bike and run portions at least.

Grab my race belt, in all the confusion I got flustered and forgot it - no biggy - but didn't figure it out until mile 2.5 on the run.

This was a pretty good transition all things considered.

Run
  • 21m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Left transition and just starting turnover. The feet were a little frozen and felt like stumps but not bad.

Only passed 3-4 people because there were very few on the course. TH last 1.5 miles there was no one within 200 ft in front of me - made it tough on the motivation - usually like to have people ahead of me I can pick off.

Not much - had more in the tank than I thought - should have pushed it harder the last 1.5 miles..

With little speed work going into this race, wasn't sure what I would get.

Very please with this run and probably could have gone a good 30+ seconds faster.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditions - but they effected everybody
No sprint specific interval training

Event comments:

They did the right thing cancelling the swim. I heard a kayak overturned in the waves. When they made the decision - they could have organized it a little different to limit some confusion - but they did a good job for having to do a 180 turn 10 minutes into the race.

Last updated: 2013-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:42 | 440 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 34/500
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:31 | 16 miles | 19.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/34
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:53 | 03.11 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/34
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-06-02 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2013-06-03 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4764142

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

Nicely done in super crappy conditions! 

When we saw you just heading out onto the run course I kept wondering how you were doing.   They did the right thing by cancelling the swim - those poor novices got beaten to a pulp out there. 

I'm jealous of your running - running and I hate each other so very, very much. 

HUGE thanks again to you and Terri for letting us stay with you, and for feeding us, and for having food and breakfast for us the next morning.  I hope you two will make a trip out to Chicago soon! 

2013-06-03 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4764142

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
To me, that's pretty dang impressive! Nice job, Donk!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Mills Triathlon

Started by PeterAK
Views: 2161 Posts: 4

2006-06-05 2:49 PM PeterAK

Lake Mills Triathlon

Started by jszat
Views: 2030 Posts: 7

2006-06-10 1:08 PM lisazapato

Lake Mills Triathlon

Started by zaboo
Views: 1977 Posts: 4

2006-06-05 6:06 PM possum

Lake Mills Triathlon

Started by DeannaS
Views: 2155 Posts: 7

2006-06-05 6:43 AM zaboo

Lake Mills Triathlon

Started by morey1
Views: 926 Posts: 1

2005-06-15 3:33 PM morey1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?

date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.