Dam to Dam
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 36s
Overall Rank = 206/7087
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 44/673
Pre-race routine:

The day always starts early for this race. Had to make the drive to Des Moines and then catch the shuttle up to the race start. Barely had time to use the restroom before the start. For the second year in a row I had to do a little warm up jog along the outside of the corral to make it to the front. Made it with a minute or two to spare and chatted with a couple of friends of mine about race strategy before the gun went off.
Event warmup:

That jog should count for something.
Run
  • 1h 26m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

So all week leading up to the race I had debated on how I was going to approach pacing. I hadn't recovered real well from the relay race 3 weeks ago and my legs this week still weren't feeling particularly well. While out on a short run Thursday I had the idea that it would be beneficial to just go out at marathon pace (7:00 miles) and consider it more of a training run. All of that changed as I got to the Dam in the morning along with the other 7000 runners. The competitive spirit kind of takes over and decided to go out hard and see how the legs held up as the miles ticked by.

So when the gun went off I was hauling ass at a pace I felt would be sustainable if the legs decided to come around today. The first few miles are always nice as there are some decent downhill portions so I was able to keep the pace under 6:35 for the first four miles. By the end of the fifth mile I could already tell that I was slowing a bit. A PR was probably not in the cards so I dialed it back to a 7:00 pace and ran comfortably for the next few miles. Hit the halfway mark at 41:50something which was pretty close to my 10k time from last year.

When the climbs came on the second half I slowed the pace even more. A lot of people were passing me, which usually bugs the crap out of me, but I kept telling myself that the legs would appreciate it later next week. Despite the slower pace I was still feeling pretty tired by the end and ready to be done. With about a mile left I brought the pace back down to a sub-7 level to see if I could hold that till the end. I did and it was a nice mental victory to bring it in strong on tired legs. I wish I would have noticed the clock time when I crossed because apparently my timing chip didn't register. I'm not in the official results anywhere. Probably a good thing I didn't PR because not having an official record of it would drive me nuts.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of walking and post race food. More races need free beer at the end, even if it is coors light. I hung around for quite a bit before heading back to Ames

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovery from previous races

Event comments:

This is the third time I've run this race and I really enjoy it. The event is really well organized and the course is fun. There's just something about standing on the dam at the start and being able to see the finish 12 miles away and knowing that's where you're heading.

Last updated: 2013-05-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:36 | 12.43 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/673
Overall: 206/7087
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-02 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Dam to Dam 20k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dam to Dam 20k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1694 Posts: 4

2012-06-06 9:02 AM QueenZipp

Dam to Dam 20k

Started by Swee
Views: 762 Posts: 1

2012-06-02 9:44 PM Swee

Dam to Dam

Started by jdwright56
Views: 2021 Posts: 4

2008-06-02 3:23 PM aarondavidson

Dam to Dam

Started by disturbed275
Views: 1980 Posts: 1

2008-06-01 9:07 AM disturbed275

Dam to Dam 5K

Started by jhinrichs11
Views: 1466 Posts: 1

2008-05-31 2:15 PM jhinrichs11
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
We did really well with the beers, which will explain my reluctance to get out of bed on Saturday morning.