General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Mills Tri Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-02 10:45 PM

User image

Subject: Lake Mills Tri Swim
Did anyone out there get to do the swim? How bad was it?

2013-06-02 11:07 PM
in reply to: jtad

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Tri Swim
I tried. I was in the novice female group. I just didn't feel safe, there weren't enough kayaks to deal with conditions. I got to the first yellow buoy, assessed the possibility that I might not be a strong enough swimmer, tried backstroke, but couldn't see the waves as they crashed over my face. The guy on the kayak wanted me to make a choice, so I decided to swim back to shore.

So disappointed. I worked very hard for this, it was kind of a bucket list thing. I wanted to say I'd done it. Now I've got to let down everyone who thought I could too...
2013-06-03 5:35 AM

User image

Veteran
I got to go in the second wave. Probably the worst swim I have ever had to do - once out there I did whatever I had to get through it but it wasn't pretty. I'm a pretty good swimmer and I thought it was nuts if they let it go on as they only had a few kayaks on the course - and I heard one of those tipped over.
2013-06-03 5:38 AM
in reply to: Tanya530

User image

Veteran
No shame in turning around - you should always watch out for you own safety first. I don't think anyone should be disappointed in you.

I would pick another race there are tons more to choose from this summer. Chances are you'll get a lot better conditions and be able to fill that bucket.
2013-06-03 8:10 AM
in reply to: cweninger

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
Looking at the other options for this season... I prefer a Sunday, since I work every other day of the week, and a short course swim.

Narrowed it down to Capitol View or Pewaukee tri sprint. I had time to preview the Lake Mills, and thought I was prepared to at least finish.

Anybody have experience with these other two? One is next weekend, the other in a few weeks.
2013-06-03 8:15 AM

Hi,

Ive done the Peauwaukee Tri Sprint three times. It is a good race. Items of Note:

Swim: Watch the weather and the rain due to the lake is constantly being monitored for E.Coli and every year it comes down to the wire on wheather they will alow the swim or not. The swim is not bad but there is a TON of seaweed.

Bike: nice bike with lots of rolling hills and one big hill about 4 miles from the end of the bike. I personaly am not a fan of it, but its a safe course.

Run: the run in my opinion sucks. You start out and about 3/4mi in to it, you go up a steep hill then another steep hill to the top where the High School is. You run around the high school parking lot then go back down another hil, where you are more braking than running as again it is steep. Then its flat to the finish.

Its a well put on race, but im not a personal fan.

P.

2013-06-03 8:21 AM
in reply to: HockeyFan1972

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
I had read Lake Mills was a good beginner friendly event, and it was close, so it seemed like a great option. Any others I should consider instead?
2013-06-03 8:25 AM
in reply to: 0

This race was brutal.

I had talked a friend into doing a TRI, and of course this was his first one. he has been training for about 8 months and dropped about 50 pounds and is in great shape. He was a competitive High school Swimmer. He was in Wave 3 Novice Men.

As many of you know, the weather was awful and the lake was very rough and the wind was horrible. The Elites went out and had no issues it seemed so they let the Relay/Athena/Clydesdales go out. You could see there were a few issues but most seemed to be making the swim. They then released wave three, the Novice men, and that’s when the trouble started. Immediately you could see almost half of them struggling. I counted four went about 100m and turned around and came back and said, they could not do it, with one saying "im not that strong!" and he was an in shape man! Im in wave 8 and im a good swimmer but i was getting nervous. My friend made it, and i met him at swim out, and he said it was BRUTAL. I then went back to the start swim and about half the novice men were hanging on the Orange triangle, some on the kayaks, and the lifeguards were pulling a few out of the water.

The race director then slowed the waves down to allow a complete wave to finish as they simply did not have enough life guards to handle the amount of struggling men in the water. Then the Novice Females went. Same result. Some made it, and a lot did not.

It was horrible to watch. Some were waiving hands for help, others stopped and helped them and ended their own swims. Kayaks were pulling people back and forth. The buoys became rest stops on the swim with many a bobbing cap hanging on to them.

So after that, reminding you that it started at 700, they called the swim at about 805. Only i think 4 waves went. Elite, Relay/A and C, and both novice groups.

My friend did the whole thing. i am very proud of him. I did the bike and run and it was ok, except for yet again ANOTHER flat tire. But thank you to Trek road help for fixing me up!

P.

Edited by HockeyFan1972 2013-06-03 8:26 AM
2013-06-03 9:00 AM

My absolute favorite race in the Milwaukee Metro Area is the Pleasent Prairie Tri. Great race, great swim (it is an out and back), Bike is good with a few rolling hills, but nothing to complain over, and the run is flat and fast. Well put on race, plenty of SWAG for the racer (I have a bike racing top, a fleece sweatshirt, and a Jacket) all given out for registering. Then the after party is fun to include a beer garden.

Now i have not done this race since 2010. Work and such has kept me away fro this event to include this year, but i recommend it to anyone asking me which event to do.

P.
2013-06-03 10:33 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I was waiting around in the M30-34 group. I understand why they put the novices first and not last, but for this particular race, it back fired. It's too bad that some first timers had to experience that. Hopefully it won't deter them from trying again because Lake Mills (on a good day) is a great race for beginners.

Regarding capitol view for beginners - it's not a bad race, not as flat as lake mills though and the run is a trail run which has it's pros and cons.

2013-06-03 10:42 AM

User image

Tri'ing for Children's is a nice race on a small body of water so the odds of chop are pretty minimal.

Bigfoot Triathlon is pretty good as well. It's in Lake Geneva so it's probably some of the cleanest water you'll ever swim in.

2013-06-03 10:48 AM

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
With my current "fear" of the swim, only worsened by this event, I think I need to stick with a shorter swim course. Pleasant Prairie, and Lake Geneva are almost twice the distance.

I definitely need to get out for more OWS. But I don't know anyone else who would go with me.
2013-06-03 11:01 AM

I agree with you. My first PP race was in 2008 and the swim was super short. Out and Back. Same in 2009. Then in 2010 i showed up and the length of the swim seemed to be a lot farther for the sprint. I asked a VOL. and he had said there were complaints the last couple of years that the swim was not the distance it was supposed to be (too short) so they went out and re-GPSd the course and it was short so they lengthened it.

Its a great race but my swim times went from 7-8mins to 17 minutes. And i was beat after the swim.

But i still recommend this race. Lake Andrea is great.
2013-06-03 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I was supposed to be in the very last group to go at 7:43 and my husband was scheduled to go at 7:23.

We were IN the water (in that little warm-up area) for 45 minutes waiting and watching the first few waves go.  I felt so badly for those that were in the novice groups, and especially for those that this was their first triathlon - what terrible conditions for what is 90% of the time a great, fun experience. 

It was horrible waiting, but as the air temps outside were colder than the water temp, we decided to stay in the water and wait and see what happened.  As the time kept ticking by, we saw what was going on out in the water - that the waves of athletes were getting farther and farther apart, and saw the kayak get toppled by a wave.  When the RD finally decided to cancel the swim I was shivering uncontrollably, had chattering teeth, my hands were blue and I couldn't feel my feet.  I know the option was there to still do the bike and the run, but by that time I was OUT.

I'm glad I got to see Clint out onto the run - and see Terri and give her a hug before we left to let her know that we were still alive, but better to recover and sign up for it again next year than risk potential injury. 

Hopefully next year it won't feel like October in June!! 

2013-06-03 12:35 PM

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
Th Lake Mills Tri is posted at 440m, or 1/4 mile. The PP is posted as 750m.
2013-06-03 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I raced in the Elite wave and about 100 yards in really didn't enjoy what I was doing. I also talked to a bunch of other friends who swam in the Elite wave and we all echoed the same thoughts: not fun, drank a lot of the lake, couldn't see, couldn't sight, etc. We made it work for us but didn't really see the need to put in everyone else.

On another note I found it a bit unfair to have all the Elites swim times/T1 taken out of the results. We should have been scored differently and separately since we swam, so really it was a different race.

2013-06-03 2:26 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Tanya530 Th Lake Mills Tri is posted at 440m, or 1/4 mile. The PP is posted as 750m.

Tri-ing for Children's was mentioned, is that getting too late for you as it's at the end of July? I've been there the last couple years for the Oly and it was nice. The swim is shorter and have been able to walk out rather far, and stand up rather early so there isn't really as much swimming to do. In the past they've offered "swim buddies" as well to go along with participants who want. The lake is rather small. The Oly race has to go 2 laps as any bigger and it won't fit. So there is really no chance of there being substantial waves to deal with.

There is one in Freeport IL as well, but that may be a bit far for you travel wise. 400m pool swim. Serpentine, but has had lots of room with a 30 second send-off before.

2013-06-03 5:08 PM

User image

Is the Triterium in Verona still open? That's a pretty good race for beginners. You will probably never race an OWS in a smaller body of water (think big pond, not lake). I think it's about 500 meters long.
2013-06-03 5:35 PM

User image

Originally posted by Tanya530

I definitely need to get out for more OWS. But I don't know anyone else who would go with me.

If you are in Johnson creek you should try Lake Ripley beach in Cambridge. It has a long swim area (over 100m across) and you can swim in the water depth of your comfort level. It's the only place I do OWS by myself because I can stay in the area where it's chest deep when I stand. Granted, I'm still doing laps from one end of the swim area to the other but they are much longer than a pool lap and I still get the benefits and challenges of practicing in the open water. Earlier in the morning (before 11a) or later in the day (after 5p) are the best times as there are fewer families and you may find others who are out there training as well. Just something to consider.
2013-06-03 6:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jtad Is the Triterium in Verona still open? That's a pretty good race for beginners. You will probably never race an OWS in a smaller body of water (think big pond, not lake). I think it's about 500 meters long.

I think so. Forgot about this one, and it's not too far off being later this month.

2013-06-03 6:41 PM

User image

New user
Johnson Creek
Originally posted by jtad

If you are in Johnson creek you should try Lake Ripley beach in Cambridge. It has a long swim area (over 100m across) and you can swim in the water depth of your comfort level. It's the only place I do OWS by myself because I can stay in the area where it's chest deep when I stand. Granted, I'm still doing laps from one end of the swim area to the other but they are much longer than a pool lap and I still get the benefits and challenges of practicing in the open water. Earlier in the morning (before 11a) or later in the day (after 5p) are the best times as there are fewer families and you may find others who are out there training as well. Just something to consider.

Thanks! I will check that out!

2013-06-13 1:44 PM

Originally posted by jtad

Thanks! I will check that out!

I also suggest Lake Ripley near Cambridge. SBR coaching from Verona has a swim group there Monday and Thursday nights so you would have a coach and other swimmers. My wife and I do all of our open water swimming here and recently have started dragging some of our Janesville friends there since it is so much nicer water than the beach in Janesville. You can do almost a 150+ yard swim from buoy to buoy, or go around the buoys to simulate a course. Excellent for working on sighting and everywhere you swim the water is not so deep that you need to worry. I would still swim with a partner since it is not monitored by life guards and you are pretty much on your own out there. I agree that 5-6 pm is the best time to get there to swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Mills Tri Swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Mills Tri

Started by SSMinnow
Views: 1386 Posts: 8

2011-06-03 8:55 PM pjgrande

Swimmer's Itch from Lake Mills Tri

Started by gofishtlp
Views: 4363 Posts: 18

2010-06-12 10:55 PM pjgrande

Lake Mills Tri

Started by Joe Runner
Views: 1258 Posts: 6

2010-06-07 10:00 PM pjgrande

Lake Mills Swim Waves

Started by tall_tri_dad
Views: 930 Posts: 5

2009-06-05 9:43 PM pjgrande

Lake Mills Tri

Started by shupie
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2009-05-21 10:31 AM shupie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.
date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.

date : May 3, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!