Greenville Recreation Dept.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = 15/166
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Just registered for this race on Friday evening, had been waiting on the weather to determine whether it would be worth it to sign up. Ran my daily 2 miles pretty late (7:15PM) and then sat in the hot tub for a bit. Had to pack my tri bag and take off my trainer tire, plus a run to the store for some supplies. Didn't sleep well, not getting to sleep until after midnight and waking up by 5AM to head off to the race.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, went for a 2 mile bike and a very short run. Got in the lake for a pretty easy swim, couldn't keep the goggles dry. Questioning myself the whole time about why I signed up for this at the last second. Felt pretty tight altogether, didn't have a great feeling about the race.
Swim
  • 06m 45s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had to run through a chute, crossing a mat along the way. I had the timing chip on my left ankle and must have stepped to the left of the timing mat, thus it didn't record my swim time. Felt pretty bad in the water, and for some reason almost caught bit of panic. Eased up the last 100 or so yards. Went way too wide on most of the course once again, costing myself way too much time and extra distance. Breathing just didn't feel right, maybe the wetsuit was constraining me a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure to step on the mat. Warm up a bit better. Ease up my mind when it happens.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

First try with my new S-Works shoes. Didn't do it as smooth as I hoped, but it wasn't too bad. Outside of forgetting to hit the lap button on my watch, my only problem was not stepping on my wetsuit to get it off. It came off easier than it has recently, but could have been better.

Remember to hit button, step on wetsuit leg to get out of it.
Bike
  • 35m 56s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 19.90 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was fairly tough. Every time I could build up some speed, it seemed like I would hit another hill. Got passed by a couple guys right out of the gate, but then hung on to a guy (within about .1 miles) and never let him go. Tried to reel him in but we were about equivalent on the bike. Nearly fell coming down the last hill as my rear wheel slipped out from underneath me.

Probably had a little more to give here, but wasn't killing myself in this race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Outside of stopping to get off the bike, I am pretty good at T2.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Not having speed info on my Garmin messed with my head a little. Hamstrings felt a little tight and I was cursing myself early for having run 2 miles the evening before. Spent most of the entire run by myself, well spaced out from others. Didn't have enough juice to catch the 2 in front of me. Being all alone might have slowed me down a bit. Was counting the people ahead of me as they came back from the turnaround and knew I had a shot at top 15 overall if I could just hang on. Could see the finish area across the lake after coming back from the turnaround. Had fun talking with volunteers as I was going. The few people who passed me were moving at a completely higher clip, so I didn't try hanging on to them. Looked behind me as I came down the stretch and didn't see anyone back there so I didn't kill myself across the finish.

Hope that my Garmin is giving me more accurate info. Maybe I am becoming too dependent on it, but I sure would've liked to have it. Might have gone a little faster knowing my speed and where I was at. Also would've liked to have someone around me to help me push myself, but I need to learn to do that without visually chasing or trying to hold someone off.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some food and drink, hung out watching finishers and talking with people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't ease up during the week of the race at all. Ran just less than 13 hours before the start of the race and felt like I had dead legs.

Event comments:

Well run race, especially for their first time. I didn't like the mat start, as I prefer the big mass start in the water. It caused some problems, as the guy who thought he was 3rd overall ended up being 4th and no one could really figure out how. And he might've pushed himself harder if he had known it was that close (3 seconds). Would prefer a mass start instead. Nice finisher medals for all involved, plus it was my first ever AG podium so I was happy.

Last updated: 2013-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:45 | 440 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 0/166
Performance: Below average
Taking a guess on my swim time. Forgot to hit the lap button on my watch as I came out of the water.
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Out about 150, over 150, back 150
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:56 | 11.8 miles | 19.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 14/166
Garmin lost it's sync somehow so I wasn't getting good info here.
Wind: Little
Course: Lots of rolling hills, some sharp turns, and a very sharp (110deg) turn on dirty road near the end. Winding through a neighborhood which cost some speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:41 | 03.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 0/166
Garmin wasn't giving me speed info here due to having lost it's sync, which was annoying.
Course: Around the lake, with about a mile out and back to the main road, which ended in an uphill that felt like murder to me.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-02 10:58 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: Tri Greenville
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Greenville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Go Tri Sports Triathlon at Greenville 2009

Started by emitch1
Views: 1157 Posts: 2

2009-06-30 1:16 PM Chaderbox

Started by Jeff1975
Views: 1351 Posts: 2

2009-06-28 5:55 PM Chaderbox

Started by Chaderbox
Views: 1755 Posts: 12

2009-06-30 1:10 PM Chaderbox

Started by Tkokoszka
Views: 1279 Posts: 2

2009-06-27 8:59 PM Chaderbox

Greenville Tri

Started by likeastrike
Views: 878 Posts: 1

2008-10-21 11:18 PM likeastrike
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.