General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First TRI this Saturday... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-03 9:02 AM

Subject: My First TRI this Saturday...
I am pretty excited, scared and very nervous about this event. At least the weather will be decent and my family and friends will be there in support. So, I can't let them down.

My goal is to finish, but honesty I want to do well. But being a clydesdale all bets are off. I have been training the past two months and probably should have swam more than two or three times.

Wish me luck.

John

2013-06-03 9:28 AM
in reply to: Vancouvertechie

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: My First TRI this Saturday...
Good luck, John!  Do your best, race smart, and have fun!  Remember to smile.  Thank the volunteers.  Support fellow racers. Above all, enjoy your first race, you only get one 'first'!
2013-06-05 7:23 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
John best of luck bro. Like melbo said, enjoy the experience. Thank everybody! Smile and wave at all those spectators that will be cheering you. We Clydes have a special place in their hearts. I like to think they cheer louder for us. Maybe they know we need the extra motivation?

I hope melbo won't object if I disagree on one point however. You actually can have more than one first. You can have a first Sprint, a first Oly, a first HIM, and a first IM. And of course, every PR is your first best at that distance. So go on out there and rack up a whole bunch of firsts!
2013-06-05 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
I hope you do well! Set yourself two goals, one that would be awesome, and one that would be acceptable. You might surprise yourself and hit 'awesome' right off the bat!
2013-06-06 9:13 AM

User image

Good luck John!
2013-06-06 4:00 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leatherneckpa John best of luck bro. Like melbo said, enjoy the experience. Thank everybody! Smile and wave at all those spectators that will be cheering you. We Clydes have a special place in their hearts. I like to think they cheer louder for us. Maybe they know we need the extra motivation? I hope melbo won't object if I disagree on one point however. You actually can have more than one first. You can have a first Sprint, a first Oly, a first HIM, and a first IM. And of course, every PR is your first best at that distance. So go on out there and rack up a whole bunch of firsts!

Very true, very true.  Thanks for the valid correction, Leather!

2013-06-06 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
Man I love the feeling your experiencing right now!! First and foremost take a minute and enjoy the feeling. Then get all your gear together, check it, recheck it, go over it again and then tomorrow pack it all up in the car. Once that is done your free to continue to freak out!! :-) Sounds like your swim training was a bit lacking, so take it easy out there and just finish the swim. It's all downhill from there, well depending on the course it may not be, but any who..... Have yourself a great time, get there early to set up and then take in the sights, smells, sounds and take plenty of pics. Good luck.
2013-06-10 9:08 AM

Originally posted by Vancouvertechie

I am pretty excited, scared and very nervous about this event. At least the weather will be decent and my family and friends will be there in support. So, I can't let them down.

My goal is to finish, but honesty I want to do well. But being a clydesdale all bets are off. I have been training the past two months and probably should have swam more than two or three times.

Wish me luck.

John

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. My family and I had a wonderful time. I will do a race report soon, but there was a couple of things I should have and have not done before the race. 1. swim more than 100 yards of total training (should have). That did not go well. 2. Do not move 3000 pounds of concrete and 5000 pounds of gravel the day before (should not have). I had no arms for the swim.

But I have to keep momma happy and get the new stamped concrete pation in before summer starts.

Cheers,

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My First TRI this Saturday... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri On Saturday Sept 11th

Started by wquincys
Views: 1253 Posts: 5

2010-09-08 4:29 PM wquincys

After first Tri, now what?

Started by mifiremedic
Views: 1805 Posts: 16

2007-08-29 11:04 PM KathyG

First Tri Pre Race Jitters

Started by deniselt
Views: 2221 Posts: 25

2007-09-23 9:59 PM sealiongirl

Completed my first tri as well

Started by DaGreen
Views: 1314 Posts: 11

2007-08-29 2:57 PM Artemis

I did it..I completed my first Tri

Started by mifiremedic
Views: 1895 Posts: 18

2007-08-28 11:21 AM nighthawk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : June 27, 2011
author : FlashBang
comments : 1
Feeling confident and cocky, after finally losing some weight, I got off my back side and into triathlon.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.