General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got the Swim and Run down, now the bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-03 11:47 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: Got the Swim and Run down, now the bike?
Ok, as the tile says it is time to play cycle catch up. My swimming is solid; I am just doing some maintenance works outs. My running is almost to a half, I could hold a descent pace for 10 miles. Now I need to get in the saddle and move. What cautions should I take? Is it like running and lesser part swimming? I know running ramping up the distance too quick can be bad, swimming for isn’t a huge issue. The longest riding I have on a bike is ~45-50 mins. I did so indoor spinning over the winter, at the gym. And just got a new bike and took it out for the first time this weekend.

My goal is to get out 3-4 times a week; I would like to get comfortable with ~20 Mph. I can mix in some very challenging terrain too. Starting next week I will be running, 5K-10K in the morning, before work. Cycling to work would be ~15-20 miles of city travel, which I would not prefer to do, but might give it a whirl. So I wouldn’t rule it completely out of the question, but very impractical. I have a section in mind, that is ~7 miles, virtually all uphill one way, then down. Would it be an option for some climbing / interval work? I also have another that’s ~12% grade change, and a very steep valley.

Any suggestions to get my base up while building stamina and holding a good speed. I am a poor cyclist, and now have the time and focus to address it.

2013-06-03 1:31 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Got the Swim and Run down, now the bike?
What are the race distance goals you are looking at, short term to long term?
2013-06-03 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Most people will tell you that to be a better cyclist, you need to spend more time in the saddle. I agree and would venture to say that's pretty much the case with all three disciplines. Depending on what distances you want to train for, I'd say for the most part just get or have the proper nutrition on your rides and go log the miles. If you really want to get stronger on the bike, find a group to ride with; usually there are a couple stronger cyclists than you and you can get better just by riding with them. Get dropped a few times and you'll see what I mean. Hills and sprint intervals will certainly help as well.
2013-06-03 2:06 PM
in reply to: Dave 2.0

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I am looking to get to a HIM distance, I might look up a cycling group, but I will undoubtedly be "that" guy. I am also just getting used to clipless pedals, I haven’t fallen, almost did on my drive way coming home. My 4 year old was laughing, if it happens at home its fine.
2013-06-03 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Haha...there are two types of cyclists...those that have fallen while clipped into pedals...and those that lie about having fallen while clipped into pedals.

There's an awesome group here in the area I live that is a triathlon training group; it's a great group of people that give lots of support and often times organize group training activities. Get on Facebook and look around or talk to your local bike shop guys about it and you should be able to find some people around to train with and ride with. Good luck on your journey!!!
2013-06-03 9:14 PM

Get trainer road w/ a kk trainer and get to working. I have made some great gains biking 4 days a week. One 2x 20 min at FTP. One 3x15 min at FTP. One long ride at 75-80% FTP.

2013-06-03 9:32 PM
in reply to: marath7

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by marath7 Get trainer road w/ a kk trainer and get to working. I have made some great gains biking 4 days a week. One 2x 20 min at FTP. One 3x15 min at FTP. One long ride at 75-80% FTP.

This is what I was going to get at!  OP get yourself a nice KK fluid trainer and a rear wheel CPU speedo pickup.  Do the BT Winter Cycling Program using the power method (I have it all in a spreadsheet) and be amazed 14 weeks later how much faster/stronger you are! And as with shampooing your hair, repeat as needed!

I've gone from 20 mph sprints to 23.x mph sprint doing 2-3 trainer WO and one longer outdoor ride per week.

2013-06-03 9:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Originally posted by GotBackup

I am looking to get to a HIM distance, I might look up a cycling group, but I will undoubtedly be "that" guy. I am also just getting used to clipless pedals, I haven’t fallen, almost did on my drive way coming home. My 4 year old was laughing, if it happens at home its fine.

There are no drop rides. Check your bike shop or tri club. I am usually the guy not getting dropped, but it helps push you to go longer.

Edited by chris00nj 2013-06-03 9:43 PM
2013-06-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by chris00nj

Originally posted by GotBackup

There are no drop rides. Check your bike shop or tri club. I am usually the guy not getting dropped, but it helps push you to go longer.

When I started riding in March, there was NO WAY I was going to ride with my tri group. They were fast and they dropped people left and right. My local bike shop, though, was the perfect fit. Their Saturday ride is no drop and they welcomed me with open arms even on my tri bike (as long as I stayed up on my pursuit bars and not on the aero bars).

I stayed near the back on purpose at first, but now I know the routes, know the rules, know some people, I'm generally at the front of the 'slow group' (which means I'm at a 16-17 mph pace rather than the 12-14 pace at the back of that group). The group regroups and meets up every 10-12 miles and allows the back end to catch up (and allowed my sore bits on the saddle get a little blood flow as well). It's been a perfect situation and allowed me to then transition to riding with the tri group just this week (though it was a serious struggle to keep up with them).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got the Swim and Run down, now the bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HELP swim /bike/ run swim/ bike/ run.Transition help

Started by deadman
Views: 1007 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 9:33 PM deadman

Getting Down to Race Weight Pages: 1 2

Started by indianacyclist
Views: 3954 Posts: 50

2011-08-19 8:33 AM indianacyclist

Ironman gets taken down...hard. Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 3131 Posts: 30

2008-12-17 5:14 PM amyro1234

Getting the swim count down

Started by smhammond
Views: 574 Posts: 8

2007-11-12 1:30 PM CitySky

Getting it down, not on...?

Started by AusVirgin
Views: 862 Posts: 10

2006-05-30 10:38 AM hangloose
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.

date : June 18, 2006
author : Team BT
The lateral pulldown strength exercise instruction with picture and video
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program details of the 16 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.