Leon’s World’s Fastest Traithlon
53F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 30m 4s
Overall Rank = 146/639
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/69
Pre-race routine:

Remembered to eat the PB&J that I made the night before (unlike at Tower). I had one UCAN right when I got to transition and another about 20 minutes before the swim. I think this set me up for good nutrition on the course. I was able to get away with just water and 1 gel halfway through the bike and a second gel at the beginning of the run.
Event warmup:

Stretching and a little jog.
Swim
  • 25m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water got choppier than I would have expected for a small little lake. I had a goggle mishap in the first 100 yards and had to stop to adjust some leaking. I was a little zig-zaggy on the outbound leg - not horrendous, but added a little yardage to my swim. Other than that, it was pretty smooth. I got into more of a rhythym swimming in the wetsuit after about half the swim. I found myself stuck in some traffic much deeper into the swim that I would have expected. A lot more jostling around than I've experienced in my other OWS's, but not too bad.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

On the whole, pretty solid. A handful of people were faster, but not by a lot. I shuffled/walked through more of the route to T1 that I would have liked getting the wetsuit top over my head, but I don't think it cost me more than 10-15 seconds, which wouldn't have made a difference in my age group.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 1s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was pretty challenging. The wind was gusty up to 20+ mph, and it seemed like most of the ride was in a cold, windy, misty, rain. By the second lap, it was pretty unpleasant, and I was getting very anxious to get off the bike. My plan was to ride with power in the low 200s. I wound up at 187 (normalized at 200). Based on conditions, I more or less stuck to plan. I probably could have pushed a little harder, but I just felt sapped in the rain, especially with the winds. I wanted to err on the conservative side after too many experiences pushing too hard on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not much!! I might have pushed a bit more, but I think I made the right decisions.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Pretty solid. As far as my transitioning went, I didn't waste any time. The need for a quick bio break slowed me down a little, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Run
  • 47m 9s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

While it's still the weakest of my 3 disciplines, I really felt like I nailed the run, and my saving some effort on the bike paid off. My calves were a little crampy during the first half mile or so, but I was able to shuffle through it without giving up any real speed. Even though I felt great at the beginning of the run (especially after my calves settled down), I settled down and held back a bit. I locked into a high 7:40/low7:50 pace for the first 4 miles without pushing too hard, which is exactly where I wanted to be. I was able to push it and speed up by about 5 seconds/mile after mile 4 and finish strong. I was hoping to be a little speedier through the end of the race, but it was into the wind and I really don't have any complaints. My quads were really starting to feel fatigued in the last few miles, and I was able to improve my pace a little instead of peter out.
What would you do differently?:

Check the overall time on my watch going into the last mile. I was 4 seconds from breaking 2:30!!! I was spent by the end of the race, but I think I could have found those four seconds somewhere!
Post race
Warm down:

Body heat from the family. Thanks Jen and boys for coming out to support me on such a crappy morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness level. I had a good plan and executed it well.

Event comments:

Great production and event organization. Not my favorite bike course. I'm still waiting for the official email from USAT, but I'm pretty sure I qualified for nationals with this one. This has been a goal since last summer, so if I made it, I'll be pretty stoked. I've always enjoyed tri's, but the drive to make nationals took a little bit of the fun out of it for me because, frankly, I was stressing and fearing putting the work in and not making the goal. If I've made it, I'll be thrilled, and I feel like I'll be able have a lot more fun with it again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:38 | 1640 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/69
Overall: 186/639
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto First Wave
Course: Counterclockwise horseshoe.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:01 | 24.85 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/69
Overall: 150/639
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: A lot of turning and winding through local streets to get to a highway where you ride back and forth (and back and forth) on a 2-mile stretch.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:09 | 06.2 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/69
Overall: 244/639
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-03 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Leon's World's Fastest Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Leon's World's Fastest Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Leon's World's Fastest Triathlon

Started by TonyO
Views: 1210 Posts: 1

2011-06-07 4:06 PM TonyO

Started by robburkett
Views: 1064 Posts: 1

2011-06-06 2:32 PM robburkett

Started by eddievolly
Views: 1483 Posts: 3

2010-06-10 1:05 PM vic1365

Started by vic1365
Views: 2177 Posts: 7

2010-06-13 11:56 AM eddievolly

Started by HTT71
Views: 1638 Posts: 4

2010-06-08 7:56 AM HTT71
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule
date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.