General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMKY vs IMLP bike leg (comparison if you have done both) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-04 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: IMKY vs IMLP bike leg (comparison if you have done both)
I know there is more climbing in IMLP, but I'm wandering if you think IMKY might be a harder course because there aren't as many downhills to relax like Placid. What are your thoughts if you have biked both of the courses? I imagine I should be able to do IMKY quicker than Placid, but I'm just guessing.

2013-06-04 11:04 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: IMKY vs IMLP bike leg (comparison if you have done both)
I did LP in '04 and have done KY twice ('07,'11) and I believe that even though LP has more climbing it is not as difficult a course as Louisville. Most of the climbs at LP are longer sustained climbs of gradual grade vs shorter, steeper rollers at KY. At LP you also get a break from the climbing at certain points where at KY after the first and last 10 on River Road the rollers are relentless. You also have to factor in the heat, at LP it is normally nice and cool (relatively speaking) where KY feels like it is on the surface of the sun.
2013-06-04 6:25 PM
in reply to: Rocket Man

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
I've done both. LOU in 2011 & LP in 2012. I have asked this question before, too and have had a couple people tell me they thought LOU was harder and a couple people tell me they thought LP was harder. So, I guess it all depends on your ability. I'm a weak biker, so take this for what its worth....LOL.

In my opinion, LP is WAY harder than LOU. I've only ridden LP once.....in the race. I live in Cincinnati, so can easily get to LOU. I've ridden that course about 6 times (once in the race itself). To me, there is just no comparison....they are two different animals. The climbs in LP are long and seemingly never ending. There is nothing like that in LOU. Mostly rollers and a few descent climbs, but nothing like the mountains of LP.

My bike split was more than an hour slower in LP than it was in LOU. If you've done LP first (and I know you have... ), then you will be absolutely fine in LOU. It is not an easy course, don't get me wrong, but it is very forgiving.....plenty of areas to gain speed, too. And, as you know, it was unusually HOT in LP last year, so expect about the same (or hotter) in LOU.
2013-06-05 9:39 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by marathongirl11

I've done both. LOU in 2011 & LP in 2012. I have asked this question before, too and have had a couple people tell me they thought LOU was harder and a couple people tell me they thought LP was harder. So, I guess it all depends on your ability. I'm a weak biker, so take this for what its worth....LOL.

In my opinion, LP is WAY harder than LOU. I've only ridden LP once.....in the race. I live in Cincinnati, so can easily get to LOU. I've ridden that course about 6 times (once in the race itself). To me, there is just no comparison....they are two different animals. The climbs in LP are long and seemingly never ending. There is nothing like that in LOU. Mostly rollers and a few descent climbs, but nothing like the mountains of LP.

My bike split was more than an hour slower in LP than it was in LOU. If you've done LP first (and I know you have... ), then you will be absolutely fine in LOU. It is not an easy course, don't get me wrong, but it is very forgiving.....plenty of areas to gain speed, too. And, as you know, it was unusually HOT in LP last year, so expect about the same (or hotter) in LOU.

I was hoping for snow, since it's always so cold this year
2013-06-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

New user
Delaware
LP is harder hands down. The last 10+ miles at LP are uphill while L'ville is flat. Makes a huge difference. Plus I'd rahter have shorter rollers than long sustained climbs/drops....but that's me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMKY vs IMLP bike leg (comparison if you have done both) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Course Comparison - IMWI vs. Full Vineman

Started by ARides
Views: 3880 Posts: 5

2011-06-28 8:34 AM ARides

IMKY & IMWI Bike Elevation Comparison

Started by tritroy
Views: 1512 Posts: 6

2008-10-01 4:36 PM rstocks3

IMFL vs IMAZ vs IMLP Pages: 1 2 3

Started by KathyG
Views: 4346 Posts: 52

2008-08-01 6:54 PM KathyG

tri bike vs road bike for IMKY

Started by clydes_250
Views: 1245 Posts: 10

2007-09-27 6:53 PM Rocket Man

IMWI 2005 Run vs Bike Comparison

Started by Steve-
Views: 1293 Posts: 7

2005-09-15 2:37 PM coredump
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : May 5, 2008
author : marmadaddy
comments : 26
Men! Need to find out the best way to shave your legs? This video will compare 6 different leg shaving products to show male triathletes how to shave their legs.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : November 10, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 1
Which component group is right for you? Here are some differences on weight, performance and price between the Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 component groups.

date : July 30, 2006
author : mhan22
comments : 2
If you are calm while everyone around you is losing it, you probably don’t know what the hell is going on.