General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration paks. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-04 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: Hydration paks.
I've been using Camelbaks for a few years but have chaffing issues on longer runs. Also need some supply/nutrition carry space. Any suggestions on comfy adequate hydro packs for long distance? I usually consume a 70oz bladder on a 2hr run. Thanks again for helping the newb.

2013-06-04 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Hydration paks.

I use the UltrAspire Surge. I *LOVE* it. Doesn't not jostle, weight sits higher on the back and there is NO strain on my shoulders. I had 3 or 4 friends buy it as well after I recommended it and they love it too. I really think the 2 chest straps, lines of the front pouches and side adjustments make it fit so well.

It has 2 pouches in the front, with another front compartment (so, 2 plus a small 3rd), a top zipper pouch and then the compartment for the water, then another outside compartment that's not fully closed. I shove things down there, like this weekend a Vapur water bottle & baby wipes and it never fell out.

Unfortunately, like shoes, everyone has to try different ones, but I won't be trying another brand for a long time. If I need a bigger pack, I'll buy another one of theirs. That said, I've worn this for 50m without comfort issue. I haven't done training runs where I need a bigger pack yet, but it's always carried more than enough water for me between aid stations. I know I could easily do several hours without refilling it.

http://www.ultraspirestore.com/Surge-Select-Color-SP13-p/ua053xx.htm

2013-06-04 10:50 PM
in reply to: La Tortuga

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I bought a Hydrapak (http://www.hydrapak.com) for my 50m and it worked very well. For the race I "underfilled" the bladder a bit, which gave me extra space to store a few things. I had no issues with chafing etc, either in training or during the race. Think I bought an older version on ebay for about $45.00 which was a pretty good deal.
2013-06-05 10:57 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
How are these packs for refilling on the trail? I just tried on a Nathan that fit really well and perfect pockets for my gel flasks on the shoulders but the bladder was a nightmare to reclose.
2013-06-06 6:01 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Queen BTich

Originally posted by popsracer How are these packs for refilling on the trail? I just tried on a Nathan that fit really well and perfect pockets for my gel flasks on the shoulders but the bladder was a nightmare to reclose.

Mine has a sliding top, the bladder top folds over itself, and a bar slides over the fold to keep it sealed. I like it better than the twist circle close bladders.

2013-06-06 11:56 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Originally posted by Comet

Originally posted by popsracer How are these packs for refilling on the trail? I just tried on a Nathan that fit really well and perfect pockets for my gel flasks on the shoulders but the bladder was a nightmare to reclose.

Mine has a sliding top, the bladder top folds over itself, and a bar slides over the fold to keep it sealed. I like it better than the twist circle close bladders.

Hmm.. That's the same as on the Nathan. Maybe I was doing something wrong with it. I'll have to go back and take another look. Thanks.

2013-06-09 3:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
I use the ultimate direction wink (wasp is for men, I believe). I love it so much and have convinced all my ultra running buddies the same. It has gotten me through two 100 milers without chafing. It was 2 decent size pockets in the front along with two smaller ones. The bladder closure is that same fold over/slide as mentioned. LOVE IT.
2013-06-12 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
I love my Nathan HPL but the bladder was a PITA in my opinion and if you are having an aid station volunteer fill your bladder on race day, they often cannot figure it out as well. I use the Nathan pack but put a camelback bladder in it. Works like a dream!
2013-06-22 7:05 AM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Maryland
I completely agree with Comet regarding UltraSpire hydration products! I have the Kinetic, which is a two bottle system. For racing the, two bottles are a great system for me because I always know my fluid levels and refilling at the aid station is quich and easy. There are so many unique features in the design, sizing, and fit of the UltraSpire products, the best way to see them is to watch the demonstration videos on ther web site. The Kinetic comes with custom bottles that have an angled top and a finger loop to aid in pulling them out of the pouch. Houwever, I tend to just use my normal cycling botles. I am a stocky build and I have no trouble pulling/replacing bottles. Like the proprietary bottle, cycle bottles fit snug as I have never had one bounce out. I have a couple of bladder packs that work OK for training right now. But, the next one I buy will be an UtlraSpire-- no doubt.
2013-06-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: runamarathon

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Based largely on the feedback here I went with the Nathan and used it for the first time last night.  Works pretty well.  The long strap ends were bugging me as they danced around.  Had to reach down and stuff the ends under the straps.  Didn't think this was a great long term solution because of potential chaffing.  Do you cut them shorter?

Also, even after rinsing the bladder before using it had a horrible plastic/rubber taste.  I assume this will eventually go away.  How hard are these things to clean if you are using some kind of sport drink?  I guess just rinse after each use?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration paks. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hydration Pack suggestions

Started by jdbadger
Views: 1595 Posts: 5

2011-11-02 2:21 PM Focker

hydration options

Started by neweyes
Views: 1805 Posts: 8

2011-09-02 9:20 AM Steve in IL

hydration options

Started by neweyes
Views: 494 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 6:09 PM neweyes

hydration backpacks

Started by sarahk
Views: 1492 Posts: 5

2010-03-15 6:59 PM sarahk

Hydration

Started by njk123
Views: 1921 Posts: 6

2010-03-10 1:21 PM velasqu7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : February 28, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
It is difficult to replace water losses during exercise. The following principles will help prevent dehydration during endurance training and racing.
date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.
date : October 17, 2004
Well the day is finally here. I don't believe a single workout has gone by in these past 9 years where the idea of being at the start line of the Ironman Hawaii didn't creep into my head.

date : October 10, 2004
So far the taper is feeling good and I'm getting that itchy feeling to race. I know this will grow even stronger when I get to the island and see my friends and PBN Team members.  
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.

date : August 28, 2004
Not one menu is a perfect fit for all athletes, but there are some general rules that everyone can use as a guide during the final 24 hours leading into your race.