General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS vs. Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-04 1:42 PM

User image

Subject: HITS vs. Ironman
So I have been thinking about doing my first full. I was wondering if I should do the HITS, or should I hold out for an Ironman event (which basically means I can't do it until next year.)

What are the pros/cons of each?
Thanks!

2013-06-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: lalusp

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: RE: HITS vs. Ironman
I did the HITS Napa Half. It was well organized but I think there were only like 100 people doing the full IM distance. There weren't a ton of spectators and not a ton of volunteers but they had everything covered and organized. I'm doing the CDA IM as my first IM but it is so expensive that I won't be doing another WTC event for another couple of years and will do the HITS series instead. The full distance is half of what WTC charges but you get a lot more event at a WTC race. If you want to get the distance bragging rights and save some money then do a HITS. If you want to experience an "event" and don't struggle for money then do a WTC.
2013-06-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: xatefrogg

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-04 4:20 PM

As said above, at the HITS Napa, there was a very small field in the full IM division. The other distances were well attended, especially the half IM distance, but the IM distance was really sparse. You'd definitely feel lonely out there on the 2nd bike loop.

HITS also had minimal schwag, but I had no problems with the racing, which is all I really care about. If you want more of a spectacle, IM will def provide much more of that.

You also will probably find the HITS courses a lot less crowded (for now - may get really popular in the near future) so less issues with on-course traffic.

The HITS event at Napa was really low-key, but still professionally run. (GREAT transition areas, as HITS is know for.) Felt a lot more like a relaxed weekend short distance event than a big production.
2013-06-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Originally posted by yazmaster

You also will probably find the HITS courses a lot less crowded (for now - may get really popular in the near future) so less issues with on-course traffic.

The HITS event at Napa was really low-key, but still professionally run. (GREAT transition areas, as HITS is know for.) Felt a lot more like a relaxed weekend short distance event than a big production.

The Half had around 300 and I must absolutely 2nd how great the transition area was. The boxes instead of the racks were awesome and there was so much room for all your stuff. I hope that more people start to support HITS so they can cater to the lower income crowd of triathlon. They really want to make sure you have a good experience, so much so that the Race Director gave out his personal cell phone number to 400 people.
2013-06-04 5:43 PM

Champion
MA

Depends what type of environment/atmosphere you want in your first 140.6.

There are other option of non WTC 140.6 distance races that have bigger fields than HITS do...Beach to Battleship in NC in Oct/Nov, one in FL in October, September is one in MD.

Many like the huppla, excitement, crowds, and other athletes that WTC brings when they do an event.

For me as a BOP I like WTC events.

If money is not an issue there are other ways to get into WTC IMs this year with travel packages or with training packages if the community slots aren't sold out.

2013-06-04 7:10 PM

Veteran
Great White North
why not Rev3 or Challenge Penticton?
2013-06-04 7:12 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Great White North
If you have enough base Challenge Penticton is still open Aug 25 2013...

pros : not sold out, still pretty big, awesome city, orginal Ironman Canada venue and course, oldest Iron distance race in North America.
cons: if you have a recent dui or other criminal record we wont let you over the border

Edited by simpsonbo 2013-06-04 7:16 PM
2013-06-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

I have looked at REV3, as I originally grew up in Ohio, and Cedar Point is the best place on earth. But my main problem is the money of getting to a race so far away. I was looking at HITS Lake Havasu this November or waiting for IMAZ next year. I really need it to be some place I can drive to, I am not sure the cost of shipping my bike (any thoughts on that?) but that may be the prohibiting factor. My real problem is that I have caught the tri bug, and it is an expensive addiction!

What is the race in MD?
2013-06-04 9:12 PM
in reply to: 0

I had the same question myself 6 months ago. I REALLY wanted to sign up IM Coeur D'alene because the course looks so nice. I waited and waited and the slots filled up except for the charity $1,250 slots and I said screw that. I search around for other races and was super bummed. I found some smaller and way cheaper ones but I do want to see some people out there. I want racers to motivate me and I want to motivate them (i.e see them). I signed up for the full Vineman, which has about 1,000 slots. That seems like a happy medium for me. I would like to do a "real" IM later but the non-IM races I heard are more newbie friendly, and that sat better with me.

Also, if by some odd chance you're in your peak sessions now, you could sign up for Vineman (think some slots are still open). It's ~8 weeks away though. Sucks that the money I saved going non-IM was sort of nil after booking my CA hotel. Even a Motel 6 around there is $130/night.

Edited by Blastman 2013-06-04 9:13 PM
2013-06-05 5:04 AM

Pro
, New Hampshire
My wife did her first 1/2IM at HITS Naples (January this year) and we've done quite a few races between the two of us. This was by a wide margin the best organized races. The transition area was as close to perfect as I've ever seen with plenty of space, everything clearly marked, you even had designated space store your stuff in an attached box, plus a stool to sit on if you wanted to.

If you really want the Ironman experience (and you're only planning to do one), then you may want to do one of the official Ironman's. If you want to race that distance, and you want a race that functions really well (and I'm not saying that the Ironman wouldn't, certain it would), and you want to save significant amount of money, then HITS is a great alternative.

2013-06-05 9:28 AM

Veteran
Great White North
http://rev3tri.com/events/

Click on the event map...

I recently took my bike to LA and it was an extra $50 each way, Find out which airlines have low bike fees and factor that in your budget. It doesn't take a master mechanic to disassemble/reassemble a bike for travel.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HITS vs. Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

REV3 or HITS or Ironman

Started by MKarp
Views: 583 Posts: 1

2013-03-14 2:15 PM MKarp

HITS Full Iron distance vs. IM brand 140.6

Started by todds
Views: 1818 Posts: 16

2012-07-11 1:29 PM KathyG

HITS Cooperstown now HITS Hunter Mtn

Started by HerDeltaFlyness
Views: 617 Posts: 1

2012-06-20 8:49 AM HerDeltaFlyness

FORT COLLINS HIT SERIES IRONMAN HELP!!!!

Started by kendallwebb
Views: 624 Posts: 1

2012-06-12 10:02 AM kendallwebb

HITS VS Ironman - which is better & why? Pages: 1 2

Started by hromero
Views: 4444 Posts: 42

2012-01-16 12:30 PM emn915
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : October 14, 2010
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on preventing over-rotation, free golf, strength and core training, the importance of the kick and high turnover vs low turnover.

date : October 8, 2008
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.