General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crashed during first triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-04 2:44 PM

Subject: Crashed during first triathlon
I entered the Playtri.com Festival "My first tri" event held last Sunday. Finished the swim and was well on the way on the bike when a truck decided to disobey the traffic police and enter the race course as I was approaching the intersection at high speed. I heard the policeman yelling at the truck to stop. But, it continued into the intersection. I hit the brakes and flew over the handlebars, landed head first on my helmet and then flipped and landed squarely on my buttocks. Nothing is broken. Xrays are negative. My buttocks is very swollen. It took the brunt of the fall.

I need to get my bike fixed and heal up so I can get ready for the next one.

2013-06-04 2:45 PM
in reply to: txgolfer45

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Crashed during first triathlon
Welp....you got that out of the way quick. Laughing  Hope you heal up fast.
2013-06-04 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
As the saying goes "there are those who have crashed and those who are going to".

Heal up and get back in the saddle!
2013-06-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Originally posted by Left Brain

Welp....you got that out of the way quick. Laughing 

Don't mean to laugh, but I kind of chuckled when I read that.

In all seriousness, glad you are ok. Get that bike fixed and get back to training for the next one.

Anything happen to the truck driver? Cop stop them and hold them responsible, if that was even possible? Maybe get them to pay for you bike to get fixed and hospital or doctor bill for the xrays?
2013-06-04 2:50 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay
Congrats on the first race.

There are cyclists who have been in accidents and those who will.

Now you are in the latter category.

Best of luck your next race. I try to always be super aware at intersections even if they are controlled as you found out, glad you are not hurt.

Mike
2013-06-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: spiderjunior

Originally posted by spiderjunior

In all seriousness, glad you are ok. Get that bike fixed and get back to training for the next one.

Anything happen to the truck driver? Cop stop them and hold them responsible, if that was even possible? Maybe get them to pay for you bike to get fixed and hospital or doctor bill for the xrays?

Truck driver got a ticket for failure to follow commands from a police officer. The officer was yelling for him to stop. the driver had is radio blaring and claims to have never heard the policeman. 4 policemen were at the intersection and saw the whole thing.

2013-06-04 3:01 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Originally posted by txgolfer45

Originally posted by spiderjunior

Truck driver got a ticket for failure to follow commands from a police officer. The officer was yelling for him to stop. the driver had is radio blaring and claims to have never heard the policeman. 4 policemen were at the intersection and saw the whole thing.

Do you know what Company he drove for. At the very least they should pay for your bike repairs and be grateful you aren't suing them (unless of course you plan on suing them). They hired the idiot, they shuld be gladly pay for your damaged bike.
2013-06-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: Bull

City of Irving, Texas truck and employee. I will be pursuing them to get reimbursement for any out of pockets plus pain and suffering.
2013-06-04 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
WOW.....glad you're ok. Hopefully you at least get your bike replaced from that driver. I still have a tendency to be defensive on corners in a race for this very reason. I figure what am I losing...a second or 2? I'm just a MOPer anyway so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Heal Quickly!
2013-06-04 5:14 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Wow. Scary.  Glad you're OK.

I am extra leery of traffic on race courses.  You would think these drivers would be alert and tuned-in to a race going on, but they often seem very distracted by the racers, confused (it is kinda confusing, I guess), and they're already often breaking and encouraged to break traffic rules to allow room for the racers on the road. In a few cases they have seemed irritated and annoyed at us and have driven aggressively--even during a race with lots of witnesses and police around.

I hope you are compensated appropriately and that this doesn't impact the rest of your season too much. 

Now go ice your butt:)

2013-06-04 5:31 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Crashed during first triathlon

Overachiever.

2013-06-04 8:20 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Glad you're looking forward to the next one, and even happier that you are okay! Keep us posted on the results of getting the bike fixed!!! Heal up quick!
2013-06-04 8:38 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Hey I had my first crash at the PlayTri Festival Oly Race back in 2009. It was raining, roads were slick and I was like 200m from T2 with 2 90 degree turns and I got cut off then the tires came out from under me.

It's certainly no fun, but it's not the end of the world either as it happens to all athletes regardless of level. Hope you heal quickly.
2013-06-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: funkj25

Thanks for the support! I'm feeling better. Xrays were negative. Still sore. But, the swelling seems to be going down. I'm taking my bike into the shop today to get looked at. Helmet replaced, shoe has a big road gouge on it, rear wheel needs to be replaced, various scrapes on derailer, clipless pedal, handle bar tape, possibly right shifter damaged. No idea on the frame. I'll have the bike shop go over it with a fine toothed comb!
2013-06-05 4:53 PM

I spoke to a Sergeant at the Irving Police Department. He was the one directing traffic at that intersection. He confirmed my only option was to try to brake as I definitely would have hit the truck otherwise. He said he felt really bad as he was the one trying to get the guy to stop.
2013-06-05 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by txgolfer45 Thanks for the support! I'm feeling better. Xrays were negative. Still sore. But, the swelling seems to be going down. I'm taking my bike into the shop today to get looked at. Helmet replaced, shoe has a big road gouge on it, rear wheel needs to be replaced, various scrapes on derailer, clipless pedal, handle bar tape, possibly right shifter damaged. No idea on the frame. I'll have the bike shop go over it with a fine toothed comb!

Good to hear that it was not more serious.  It could have been a whole lot worse, for sure.

Glad to hear you're Okay and jumping back on the wagon ASAP!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crashed during first triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Was your first marathon during your first IM? Pages: 1 2

Started by tri_d00d
Views: 3768 Posts: 43

2010-02-09 10:51 AM Kido

Triathlete Crashes During Race.....

Started by Yosel88
Views: 1903 Posts: 15

2009-06-22 1:35 PM bachorb

First Ride New Cervelo...First Crash New Cervelo

Started by Mad Lt.
Views: 1735 Posts: 15

2007-08-19 4:08 PM ranger5oh

It finally happened-I crashed during a ride

Started by fgump
Views: 1315 Posts: 16

2007-05-13 7:44 PM dredwards

Crash during tri, what would you have done?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1356 Posts: 17

2005-06-27 10:52 PM ChrisM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 18, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
How long before I will notice major improvement? How long in the sling? Should I do any kind of exercise or rehab while in your sling?

date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 19, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Do you have your first triathlon coming up? This article will give you a few tips on what to wear for your triathlon.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : August 22, 2006
author : TriathlonRadio
comments : 0
In this episode we talk to Coach Joel from the BT.com forums. He talks about recovering after a bike crash and coaching.